Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 01-06-2011, 23:20   #1
Warpath66
Asset

Motivational Speeches and Materials

The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.
Old 01-06-2011, 23:55   #2
jbour13
Area Commander

That's nice.

You'll soon find that deeds, not words, provide inspiration amongst the collective masses here. Words help, but usually that of a Senior NCO that explains the process of following simple instructions and consequences of not doing so.

The QP's will be along shortly. Begin digging in for the digital siege that will soon come upon you.

Have a great Army day!

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01   #3
Warpath66
Asset

Kelly Crigger's Rules on Leadership

- Know what it truly means to "take care of troops".

- There are two sides to every story.

- Be consistent.

- But don't have absolute's

- Being responsible means you have to be an asshole sometimes

- Don't have a zero defect mentality

- Have the moral courage to speak up

- Support your chain of command even when you don't want to

- Support your troops even when you don't want to

- Bitch in private and praise in public

- Sometimes, fighting is alright

You can read more here at:
http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/kellys-...of-leadership/
Old 01-07-2011, 13:26   #4
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath66 View Post
- Being responsible means you have to be an asshole sometimes
Airman,

What the hell are you doing?

If you would bother to read the stickies all over this site, you'll see "this ain't no ordinary web". These guys here know quite a bit about motivation. To that end, if I were going to post any URLs linked to motivational speeches and materials I would chose hands down professionalsoldiers.com.

You're new to the military and new to DLI. I seriously doubt you have any new insight into what it takes to motivate someone to push through a difficult situation. These guys don't need (or want) cheerleaders. Their motivation comes from within.

Also, your posting needlessly feeds the stereotype that guys like us (you, me, & JB) are Dungeons & Dragon-playing, World-of-Warcraft 70th level wizard strap hangers, and wanna-be cool guys who have zero situational awareness.

Tradition (and manners) dictates that the new guy show up at the Team house with a case as a show of respect and as a good will gesture. It's a small step to show the TS "As a support guy, I may not know much about your world but I'll do my best to learn and I will never quit."

You have figuratively walked into their house with muddy boots and have been stomping around acting like you know more about what it takes than they do.

If you're having a tough time at DLI, then I would suggest you PT to clear your mind and eat well to nourish the body. Many here, as well as myself, have been in your shoes (myself 3 times).

If you're seeking motivation to drive on: read the threads. Honestly, I would search the TAPS section for SGTs Vance, DazaChacon, Chay, Robertson, and Creighton. They were all linguists.

Best of luck and get back to studying.

L

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 13:49   #5
wet dog

QPs already on standby,...

edited:

It's really too nice of a day for me to go down this path.

Getting settled and comfortable.

I'm sitting this one out.

Last edited by wet dog; 01-07-2011 at 15:45.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:32   #6
Warpath66
Asset

- Lindy

I thought long and hard about what you have to say about this thread, and while I do respect your opinion, I do not appreciate your comments. Given your years of experience, what you say is most likely true. The people who visit this website do not need "cheerleaders". However, my only goal in establishing this thread was to contribute pieces that I have found particularly inspiration. All in all, I am unsure on how to really respond to this post, other than to request that next time, could you please message me instead, so that we can have a conversation of mutual understanding before you berate me in public.

I understand that the military is no place for hard feelings. It doesn't care about the trivial grudges you hold in accordance to your opinion. I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

- A1C K

Edited: Airman, there is no need to have your name on the web anymore than it is already... Crip

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-08-2011 at 08:05.
Warpath66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:41   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
- Lindy

I thought long and hard about what you have to say about this thread, and while I do respect your opinion, I do not appreciate your comments. Given your years of experience, what you say is most likely true. The people who visit this website do not need "cheerleaders". However, my only goal in establishing this thread was to contribute pieces that I have found particularly inspiration. All in all, I am unsure on how to really respond to this post, other than to request that next time, could you please message me instead, so that we (-you and I)can have a conversation of mutual understanding before you berate me in public.

I understand that the military is no place for hard feelings. It doesn't care about the trivial grudges you (-toward me) hold in accordance to your opinion. I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

- A1C Kawasaki
A1C, Who is this all about?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11   #8
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
All in all, I am unsure on how to really respond to this post, other than to request that next time, could you please message me instead, so that we can have a conversation of mutual understanding before you berate me in public.

I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.
One man's beratment is another man's teachable moment.

If you are able, I would recommend going Airborne (USAF version) as an 1A8X1. After your training at Fairchild AFB, you'll most likely start to understand what I mean about internal and external motivation. (External being that you would do anything to not let your team/crew down).

Best of luck and study hard. Regardless of your language, we need more volunteers to become 1N3X1s.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
- I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

- A1C K
Learning more frequently results from reading than posting.

If learning is what you are here for, I would recommend more reading and less posting.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49   #10
Warpath66
Asset

Understood. Thank you for the advice.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56   #11
Dozer523
BANNED USER

It usually takes more than a few words and stirring retorical cadence to get me going (that may be something I should run by the group during our next 50 minute hour) but, this one has always worked for me. WP, when the tough going gets . . . wait . . . I mean when the going gets tough, here:

My American fellows, the office that I hold has its ups and downs, its windfalls, as well as its various duties. And it is in the performance of the most trying of these duties that I speak with you today, to illustrate to my countrymen a harsh, inescapable truth. A storm is gathering, ladies and gentlemen. And in the gloaming darkness lurk the contents of our own nightmares. There is no denying that in the coming days, the coming hours even, we Americans will be tested. We will know pain and loss. There will probably be some disembowelings. But we have been tested before. In a Red-Coated New England winter, we were tested. On the fields of Shiloh, we gripped wood and steel and cloth. And today will be no different. My fellow Americans, today, I offer up this, joyful, hallowed refrain—one that you have no doubt heard on many other, happier, occasions; one that will forever have new meaning after today. My fellow Americans, look under your chairs. Your government has distributed among each and every one of you a Phase-IV Energy Rifle. Yes, that is correct. You get a rifle. And you get a rifle. Glen Fullerton of Des Moines, Iowa gets a rifle. As does little Suzy Hutchins of Passaic, New Jersey, who has to ride the train three hours a day to get to her magnet school. You all get rifles. And with them we will beat back the coming darkness. Their gamma rays shall light up the sky, signaling a new screaming birth for our triumphant nation. Americans who are my fellows, history shall remember this day with new meaning as the day our nation saw the flickering candle of freedom and relit it by the light of its people's courageous torches. This is our Arbor Day.

(Stolen from a Groupon ad because I like cupcakes.)
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35   #12
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
It usually takes more than a few words and stirring retorical cadence to get me going (that may be something I should run by the group during our next 50 minute hour) but, this one has always worked for me. WP, when the tough going gets . . . wait . . . I mean when the going gets tough, here:

My American fellows, the office that I hold has its ups and downs, its windfalls, as well as its various duties. And it is in the performance of the most trying of these duties that I speak with you today, to illustrate to my countrymen a harsh, inescapable truth. A storm is gathering, ladies and gentlemen. And in the gloaming darkness lurk the contents of our own nightmares. There is no denying that in the coming days, the coming hours even, we Americans will be tested. We will know pain and loss. There will probably be some disembowelings. But we have been tested before. In a Red-Coated New England winter, we were tested. On the fields of Shiloh, we gripped wood and steel and cloth. And today will be no different. My fellow Americans, today, I offer up this, joyful, hallowed refrain—one that you have no doubt heard on many other, happier, occasions; one that will forever have new meaning after today. My fellow Americans, look under your chairs. Your government has distributed among each and every one of you a Phase-IV Energy Rifle. Yes, that is correct. You get a rifle. And you get a rifle. Glen Fullerton of Des Moines, Iowa gets a rifle. As does little Suzy Hutchins of Passaic, New Jersey, who has to ride the train three hours a day to get to her magnet school. You all get rifles. And with them we will beat back the coming darkness. Their gamma rays shall light up the sky, signaling a new screaming birth for our triumphant nation. Americans who are my fellows, history shall remember this day with new meaning as the day our nation saw the flickering candle of freedom and relit it by the light of its people's courageous torches. This is our Arbor Day.

(Stolen from a Groupon ad because I like cupcakes.)
Kleenex moment.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50   #13
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Talking Hey Hadji,Look up in the sky............

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...20038097_o.jpg

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:59   #14
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Talking Army Recruiter ...........

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...41642679_o.jpg

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 13:35   #15
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.
As I read this, why do I see Alfalfa standing on stage reciting it as fireworks go off in his back pocket?