Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 01-03-2012, 23:07   #16
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

All of these synthetic drugs are testable under the military "PISS TEST". You come up "hot" on them the same way someone would for marijuana, meth, to heroin, and cocaine. I don't know what they test for (I.E. THC) but you come up "HOT".

Unit UPL mamager sould know more and should IMHO holding a NCPD on these "new" drugs. Some Soldiers think just becuase it is OTC they are cleared to do it. North Carolina last I heard made them all illegal.

As SF_BHT said....
Quote:
under Federal law it is and will stay illegal no matter what some states want.
BLUF - "SPICES" are "PISSABLE" and well as TESTABLE!!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47   #17
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Rogue View Post
I have to wonder though, would legal regulated use in the military of marijuana (like alcohol) work?
Just ask all those Soldiers who have been turned into civilians as a result of Alcohol related incidents.

"Joe" can't handle his alcohol, without making serious life changing and sometimes horrific decisions...what makes you think marijuana will make things any better?
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 14:42   #18
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Would that include alcohol as well?
Your point is......?

Alcohol use is pretty well spelled out, including misuse/abuse.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:45   #19
Sand_Rogue
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
Your point is......?

Alcohol use is pretty well spelled out, including misuse/abuse.

RF 1
Yes, what I meant to say was if marijuana were legalized (on the federal level) do you think the army would have a policy similar to that of alcohol. Could it work?
Sand_Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 22:28   #20
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes, what I meant to say was if marijuana were legalized (on the federal level) do you think the army would have a policy similar to that of alcohol. Could it work?
If and that will be a big IF the military would have two options.
Allow it or ban it while you are serving.

I can tell you it is not going to be legalized by e Fed's in my lifetime.

Politicians love to play let's just legalize it and tax it but that is just politics.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:10   #21
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
I see your question, and agree with SF BHT. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Why do we need another drug?

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:18   #22
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

It's hard not to notice that over 100,000 people die every year from Alcohol and prescription drugs abuse. Drugs that are legal. But there is not one documented case of anyone dying from Marijuana abuse. Also take in to consideration the billions of dollars spent trying to stop Marijuana from being sold in the U.S.
I'm not turning hippie on you guys, but those are the facts. I believe the deaths from legal prescription drugs doubled in the last few years. Along with the amount of prescriptions being handed out.
There are negative effects of any substance abuse. Including Marijuana. But no one has ever died from ingesting THC, never.
Old 01-06-2012, 18:57   #23
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
But no one has ever died from ingesting THC, never.
Or gotten a a speeding ticket.

Also it's helps spur the economy (muchies and all).

I'm just saying. ????????

Personally I've never had the urge to do any type of drug but I really do think that if we legalized some of it we would have fewer problems including deaths from violence.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:54   #24
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Or gotten a a speeding ticket.

Also it's helps spur the economy (muchies and all).

I'm just saying. ????????

Personally I've never had the urge to do any type of drug but I really do think that if we legalized some of it we would have fewer problems including deaths from violence.
It just seems weird that I can enter any type of urgent care here in town. Thirty minutes later I walk out with a prescription for deadly Narcotics, just because I have Med Insurance. But we have State of the art Black Hawk's hovering over the boarder looking for Pot smugglers.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04   #25
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

I'm not a medic, but after reading some of the marijuana stuff I did a little research. WebMD says that a "light user" will have a clean piss test after a marijuana free week, while a "stoner" could piss hot for a month after his last smoke.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/m...nd-its-effects

Where I am going with this is that alcohol is out of your system relatively quickly, thereby making tests for DUI and investigations relatively accurate. Given the way marijuana stays in the system tho, and the heavy user/light user argument, how would you be able to tell if someone was stoned out of their mind causing a traffic accident or just a recovering heavy user that hasn't had any in weeks?

And while marijuana itself might not kill people, here are a couple of articles that cite it as a possible contributing factor in fatalities:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Cel...189/story.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...ivers-20110703

While I agree that drugs being illegal is akin to the crime wave and resource waste that went along with Prohibition, I'm more concerned about "the law of unintended consequences" if everything became legal tomorrow.

I'm open to the opinions of those more qualified than me on this (LEO's and Medics in particular)
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48   #26
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Team View Post
Where I am going with this is that alcohol is out of your system relatively quickly, thereby making tests for DUI and investigations relatively accurate. Given the way marijuana stays in the system tho, and the heavy user/light user argument, how would you be able to tell if someone was stoned out of their mind causing a traffic accident or just a recovering heavy user that hasn't had any in weeks?
Quick and simple solution: If you fail a field sobriety test and piss hot for marijuana, you get a driving while impaired/intoxicated regardless of whether you were actively stoned. Want to use drugs? Fine - you will held to a higher level of accountability if wanting to also operate a motor vehicle.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02   #27
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Team View Post
I'm not a medic, but after reading some of the marijuana stuff I did a little research. WebMD says that a "light user" will have a clean piss test after a marijuana free week, while a "stoner" could piss hot for a month after his last smoke.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/m...nd-its-effects

And while marijuana itself might not kill people, here are a couple of articles that cite it as a possible contributing factor in fatalities:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Cel...189/story.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...ivers-20110703

While I agree that drugs being illegal is akin to the crime wave and resource waste that went along with Prohibition, I'm more concerned about "the law of unintended consequences" if everything became legal tomorrow.

I'm open to the opinions of those more qualified than me on this (LEO's and Medics in particular)
Piss tests/blood draws/breathalysers are meant as a secondary level of confirmation of what the LEO already observed, not the end all, be all of if someone is intoxicated. A DUI arrest can be made without any of those. However, having them is just that much more evidence (in conjunction with evidence to make the stop, results of the field sobriety tests).

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote