Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 01-28-2009, 18:51   #1
Atilla
Asset

Tattoo on an 18A wannabe...

Gentlemen,

I have done some searching but i couldn't find a specific answer on the issue of my possessing an Eagle Globe and Anchor tattoo on my chest and whether A.) it will be a problem as far as the Army is concerned in regards to getting accepted at some point in the future to SFAS, and B.) whether it will be an issue for quiet professionals I will hopefully work with. The reason I ask is because I have not gotten said tattoo yet. I don't have any and refrained from getting one while I was in the Corps because at the time I wanted to go to school and work for an OGA (which i had heard frowned on body marks, could be an old wives tale but i was being cautious.) but since i have chosen a path that will hopefully lead me to your fraternity of QP's I am considering getting the EGA i have always wanted as a reminder of my past and of the Marines i fought and bled with overseas. Any opinions even negative ones are greatly appreciated. Again just trying to find out if getting it will hurt me in any way career or respect wise. Thank you gents.

SGT "Atilla"
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 19:39   #2
adal
Quiet Professional

Sounds like an illegal gang related tattoo to me.
Old 01-28-2009, 19:51   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I think it is a bad idea.

You will be permanently marked as an American and a Marine, in a fairly obvious place.

Hardly fits in with the concept of being a QP, IMHO.

Plenty of time to tat up and brag after you retire.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 20:03   #4
abc_123
Quiet Professional

If you are asking then that means that you have that little voice saying, "Are you sure this is a good idea?" I've found MY little voice to be pretty damn smart...I listen to it.

Why take any chances, why limit any options? Doesn't make sense to me.

As TR said, plenty of time to get a tat when you're done. Plenty of other ways to remember and honor your fellow warrior marines in the meantime.

my $0.02.
Old 01-28-2009, 20:30   #5
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

You may put others at risk.
MM

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other" President A. Lincoln
Matta mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 21:21   #6
Atilla
Asset

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your sage advice, you have readjusted me and helped me to think clearly about it. The problem here is that I need to be comfortable with my new uniform, always remembering my past but be proud of being a soldier and remember that the reason I am doing this is to join your ranks eventually, to serve my country, and to lead brave young Americans with the same intensity, intelligence, and fervor I had the good grace to be led with. I know I have a ways to go and a lot of respect to earn and lessons to learn before I am even eligible to try to join the QP's but to me this is the most important thing and I don't need a tat to remind me that I can be a Marine and a Soldier and that, as we sometimes lamely say, I have an EGA branded on my heart. Maybe someday Ill be able to add a tab above it. Sorry to get motto but the advice really means a lot. Thank you gents.

SGT "Atilla"
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 22:42   #7
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

plenty of time after you get out or retire.

I got my tattoo of an SF insignia on my left pec about 8 years after I retired.
When I was a young SF soldier tattoos were really frond upon because of "identifying markings were not desired. Could have actually have kept us from some realy good missions. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 22:57   #8
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Quote:
Could have actually have kept us from some realy good missions. Blitzzz
Given the risk of being easily identified, I always wondered if SF/SOF personnel ever got tattoos that displayed their profession while on active duty. Any particular reason you waited eight years after retiring?
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 23:02   #9
Dozer523
BANNED USER

When I have found myself pondering questions such as the one posed here, I often find myself approaching the most sage singer-song-writer I know. I have found that his wisdom is limitless and his depth of subject immeasurable. If it's important. . . Jimmy has sung about it.
To answer your question I offer Jimmy Buffet's Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling form the album Beachhouse On The Moon.

Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling

She was no Marine back from the Philippines
she was their pride and joy, their incarnation.
Her parents viewed the chief with shock and disbelief
looking for some other explanation.

The indian on her back was poised for an attack.
She said "A tatoo is a badge of validation."
But the truth of the matter is far more revealing
it's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Permanent reminder
of a temporary feeling,
amnesiac episodes that never go away.
It's no complex momemto, it's not set of revealing.
Just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Vegas in the rain,
drunk on cheap champagne,
he hears out of tune synthesized chapel bells painfully ringing.
Where's his limo ride?
Who's this foreign bride?
Is that really Elvis spinning around the ceiling?

Permanent reminder
of a temporary feeling,

Chromosomes and genes,
spawn these fateful scenes.
Evolution can be mean,
there's no dumbass vaccine.
Blame your DNA.
You're a victim of your fate.
It's human nature, to miscalculate

To make up for the fight,
they go out for the night,
sex; drugs and rock n roll seem like the easiest answer.
but a short nine months later
there's no way of concealing
that permanent reminder of a temporary feeling!

Permanent reminder
of a temporary feeling,
permanent reminder of a temporary feeling
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
To answer your question I offer Jimmy Buffet's Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling form the album Beachhouse On The Moon.

Quote:
She was no Marine back from the Philippines
she was their pride and joy, their incarnation.
Her parents viewed the chief with shock and disbelief
looking for some other explanation.

Permanent reminder
of a temporary feeling,
Love it, Mister B is always good for a quote..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:29   #11
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Why 8 years.

It just seemed the thing to do since everyone of my family had already obtained a couple. It was either the one I got or all my "201" on my chest. I had too many years active duty with a constant influence not to put ID markers on my body. I guess I out grew it. Blitzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55   #12
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Long Time Ago

Had a very young troop show up for jump school with wings on his forearm and an attitude to go with it. Lasted two days.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Target View Post
Had a very young troop show up for jump school with wings on his forearm and an attitude to go with it. Lasted two days.
Too bad you couldn't scrub it off with lye before you sent him packing!
Old 01-29-2009, 15:47   #14
alright4u
Quiet Professional

RE: Body Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I think it is a bad idea.

You will be permanently marked as an American and a Marine, in a fairly obvious place.

Hardly fits in with the concept of being a QP, IMHO.

Plenty of time to tat up and brag after you retire.

TR

Good reply. We had a 1LT in 67 with a green beret complete with dagger body ink job on his right outter wrist. The Group CO told him to see the surgeons and have it removed or he was history. Why would a man want to mark his body with any US military logo if he is going into combat? You are putting an indelible mark on yourself that cannot be denied if captured. You are also risking the men with you.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 16:00   #15
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
Why would a man want to mark his body with any US military logo if he is going into combat? You are putting an indelible mark on yourself that cannot be denied if captured.
Well, maybe he wanted to be a lampshade.
I heard or read somewhere that at one of the Nazi Death Camps prisoners with body art were singled out for immediate extermination. (I probably ought to scopes that one.)