Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Deactivated SF Units

Old 02-05-2013, 22:27   #16
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
I believe it had to do with the DTG... the "Special Action Force" became the "Security Assistance Force" at some point. It sounds more 'cuddly'!
Roger that!
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19   #17
jkirkthomas
Quiet Professional

That MI unit ran the POW camp at Sherman for an E&E excercise we did in early '69. When I escaped and told what they were doing to us, the next night some guys from Co A went out there, busted the place up, released all the prisoners, beat the shit out of the MI folks who were there, and the problem came to a screeching halt. I seem to remember that several of the interrogators were out of the CZ and back in the States within 24 hrs because it was feared that someone would try to kill them. I think I would cheerfully have killed the guy who interrogated me in the water pit. Years later I heard he had retired and was working for the 66th MI Detachment in Munich. I considered going over there and "discussing" it with him but never did. Fun times.
jkirkthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:45   #18
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFpanama View Post
As a 8th SFG vet, I wanted to make a poster commemorating the 8th Group. I made this for my own and a few of my pals enjoyment, back in 2006. I thought that maybe some of you may enjoy it as well.
Click the link for the full size version (1881x2363, 1.27 MB).
Click the thumb for a downsized version (398x500, 173 KB).

http://www.imagebam.com/image/aa60b94639897
I think the pic to the right of the "De Oppresso Liber" is of Gatun DZ if I'm not mistaken. I went back to the CZ in '97 and the DZ sign was still up although Fort Davis and Gulick (now called Panal) were closed. The pic of Company A reminds me ... the volleyball net on the backside of the building was still standing (I remember playing 'jungle rules' games there in '73. Across from Company A and the PX snack bar was a camouflage painted building used by the Guardia Nacional during hostilities, it's was still pock marked with 50 cal holes as was the old Officer's Club (I wonder why the O Club .... (grin).

Also, in '97 they were rehabbing Davis to serve as a center for counter-drug activities ....

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.

Last edited by UWOA (RIP); 02-10-2013 at 16:32.
Old 02-19-2013, 16:54   #19
China Lee
Asset

Special Action Team?

I was in 8th Gp, when we were reduced to one company. The group developed a concept of a Team to go into Central or South America in the event a situation happened. There were three teams, 1 on call, 1 in tng, and 1 off. The on duty team studied latest area studies on selected countries. The concept was that if any situation happened, the team was to jump in try to gather all Americans and move them to pick up point, then move to a concealed location and await further orders.

The teams went to the first SERE course run by 5th Gp. at Egland AFB.
China Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:36   #20
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Lee View Post
I was in 8th Gp, when we were reduced to one company. The group developed a concept of a Team to go into Central or South America in the event a situation happened. There were three teams, 1 on call, 1 in tng, and 1 off. The on duty team studied latest area studies on selected countries. The concept was that if any situation happened, the team was to jump in try to gather all Americans and move them to pick up point, then move to a concealed location and await further orders.

The teams went to the first SERE course run by 5th Gp. at Egland AFB.
If this is your first post you're gonna catch some flak .... you need to adhere to the board's rules for where you make your first post.

That said ...

That had to be before 1972 because there were two companies A and B when I arrived at Ft. Gulick in May. Company A had the SCUBA school and Company B had the Airborne school.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.

Last edited by UWOA (RIP); 02-19-2013 at 21:49.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18   #21
CAROLYN GILGEN
Asset

Posters

Nice work John and nice to hear from you recently that you are doing so well.
CAROLYN GILGEN is offline   Reply With Quote