Old 05-03-2005, 21:47   #46
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Thanks for such a high praise CCRN. I guess it doesn't mean much if you're still hunting for a compass.

Team Sergeant
(Still owns a Silva Ranger after 20 some years....)

Lesson learned.

My apologies for offending-

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:09   #47
Archangel
BANNED USER

Exclamation Rei Sale!!!

Just picked up a Silva Ranger at REI for $37.99 (Normally $55)! Sale is on for only a few more days.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 18:50   #48
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

I picked up one of the Silva Rangers through the REI sale. Thanks to all for your advice and input.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 18:53   #49
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
I picked up one of the Silva Rangers through the REI sale. Thanks to all for your advice and input.
you're still in deep shit...i advise skulking out of here before TS decides to wake up in a bad mood again...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 17:44   #50
PSM
Area Commander

Not your daddy’s Silva Ranger!

This is an update.

The Silva Rangers in the stores today are not the original Silva 15s!

I have a Silva Type 27 that developed a huge bubble. (In fact, a Google search for the warranty information on the 27 led me to this site many moons ago [I’m studying American Indian for the Adventure Challenge]. ) Silva USA (now owned by Johnson Outdoors) would not honor the “lifetime” warranty. I’ve only owned it 30 years or so. But, I did learn that Brunton bought Silva Sweden over a decade ago. I contacted Brunton and they will honor the warranty on my 27 or any other Silva Sweden compass.

Today, the Brunton 15TDCL (made by Silva Sweden) is the real Ranger. Confused yet?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 17:55   #51
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
This is an update.

I have a Silva Type 27 that developed a huge bubble. (In fact, a Google search for the warranty information on the 27 led me to this site many moons ago [I’m studying American Indian for the Adventure Challenge]. ) Silva USA (now owned by Johnson Outdoors) would not honor the “lifetime” warranty. I’ve only owned it 30 years or so. But, I did learn that Brunton bought Silva Sweden over a decade ago. I contacted Brunton and they will honor the warranty on my 27 or any other Silva Sweden compass.

Today, the Brunton 15TDCL (made by Silva Sweden) is the real Ranger. Confused yet?

Pat

Good to know....

I'll be purchasing Brunton from now on...

TS
Old 10-23-2008, 18:42   #52
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Good to know....

I'll be purchasing Brunton from now on...

TS
Well, TS, to add to the confusion, this is in the US only. Elsewhere, Silva is still Silva. (I was snorting Aleve sorting this info out! )

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 10-23-2008, 19:58   #53
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well, TS, to add to the confusion, this is in the US only. Elsewhere, Silva is still Silva. (I was snorting Aleve sorting this info out! )

Pat
So what is their web site?

Last month I ordered 200 Silva's for work. I bet they will not be honored by the company I got them through.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 20:23   #54
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Quote:
This is an update.

Pat
Thanks for throwing that into the conversation! Working in the outdoor industry, I was trying to recall the details of this when someone was asking about other brands earlier.

Bruntons are definitely the recommendation, its what we sell in the store now as they are indeed the true Silvas. Johnson Outdoors is the same parent company of Eureka! tents, Old Town Canoes and lots of other stuff. They are large conglomerate and by no means focused on quality navigational tools any longer.

I would also second the recommendations for a wrist compass. As you get better and better with terrain association and a strong pace count, quick wrist checks will keep you moving more and stopping less. For the "average" Soldier doing land nav on a mainstream course on post, a wrist compass is the business.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 20:56   #55
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
So what is their web site?

Last month I ordered 200 Silva's for work. I bet they will not be honored by the company I got them through.
PM, with contact info, sent. It depends on your source.

Pat

Old 10-23-2008, 21:36   #56
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
PM, with contact info, sent. It depends on your source.

Pat
Thanks Pat I got the info.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:48   #57
dac
Guerrilla

Which model did you get, the Geo Pocket Transit for $819?
dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10   #58
Pete
Quiet Professional

S and Y 884

You used to be able to order a small pocket compass through the military system. Looked a little like a small Silva Ranger but reversed and without the black cover. Had/has a green cord attached.

It was marked
S and Y
Beverly
MA USA

Mine is as old as my Ranger and still no bubbles in either one of them.

Hmm. It appears "Sandy" is no longer in business.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:24   #59
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Hmm. It appears "Sandy" is no longer in business.
SandY, or Stocker & Yale, are now StockerYale and are involved in other areas.

http://www.stockeryale.com/company/about/index.htm
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 14:30   #60
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Silva Field: http://www.silva.se/outdoor/products...om_field26.jpg

This series is created to meet the demands from Boy Scouts/youth organizations, hikers to use on shorter day trips and schools. Patented red/black north/south lines in the capsule (Field 7 and 26) and a north indicator on the compass needle are standard on the Field series.

I still have my Silva Official Boy Scouts of America compass - "Made in Sweden, Assembled in the USA" that I purchased in 1954!!