Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:28   #1
dknob
Asset

SF Team in Tehran during Eagle Claw

Hey warriors,

I'm writing an article on the SF Team that was in Iran for almost a week before the main rescue force were to touch down on Desert One. They are mentioned in COL Beckwith's book briefly as well as other sources. From what I gather their assignment was to rescue a few hostages who were in an apartment complex away from the embassy. Major Meadows worked with them and the CIA guys on the ground to get JSOCs truck and other equipment in a Tehran warehouse.

I understand for the most part that they were forced to E&E through the desert and were left without support.

Not much info other then the little tidbits in the books I mentioned. This is what I have gathered from Google, it's not much:

- Possibly the SF team was called the 39th Special Forces Detachment
- other sources say it was 5th Group's Blue Light, but those are here-say and weak-ass rumors at best.
- There was some info from www.specialforces.org in the form of a .pdf report on the history of Major Dick Meadows. A small portion was dedicated to his role in Tehran.
- I also found this on stars and stripes: http://www.stripes.com/news/special-...gnated-1.39635
The link talks about Det K from 1st Group redesignating its name to the 39th SFD. At the bottom of the article it says they were visited by President Carter in 1982. I feel like this is probably the best lead I have as to the who.

I figured any other information would be found here on PS. Any help would be appreciated as the only thing people here about is Desert One.

Thanks,
D.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43   #2
35NCO
Guerrilla

I do not know how others will respond to this. I think that's a question that you should stick with your open source research. There is a lot of information available on the subject in books and articles. If you are looking to push the envelope on previously unreleased information, you are not going to find it here. I would not encourage you to do so either. Good luck with your research. I am curious myself as to if anyone will respond. If you really feel like you are stuck I can point you in the right direction of books that cover it.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Whatever you can't google is prolly classified, or should be.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21   #4
dknob
Asset

Although I disagree the issue is classified, as it happened 32 years ago. It's simply an event that was overshadowed by a larger event (Desert One and the deaths of eight servicemembers).

Still crossing my fingers for some good intel, but am definitely prepared for disappointment.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknob View Post
Although I disagree the issue is classified, as it happened 32 years ago. It's simply an event that was overshadowed by a larger event (Desert One and the deaths of eight servicemembers).

Still crossing my fingers for some good intel, but am definitely prepared for disappointment.
When you become the President you can then Change the classification rules...... Until then it is what it is........
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49   #6
dknob
Asset

So you are confirming that this particular event I'm asking about; which was part of a larger clandestine incursion into a sovereign nation (Iran), thirty plus years ago to rescue Americans via a force from JSOC, Rangers, and other support personnel including the CIA which is all open source and declassified by the DOD. But any info involving the SF team is classified?

Last edited by dknob; 04-20-2012 at 13:03.
Closed Thread