Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 09-15-2014, 21:47   #1
Sdiver
Area Commander

Flashlights

An essential piece in any BOB, they are also useful in everyday situations.

Whether in a SHTF situation or a normal power outage, or even using one when walking the dog, a good flashlight can be one of the top five things you'd want to have.

Where is it/are they? Home and/or vehicle(s).

Do you have one readily accessible? Can you get to one in the dark?

From heavy multi D cell battery or 6 volt battery ones, to small ones that can hang on a key chain. What kind(s) do you have?

What do you find to be the best you've used?

Which ones would you avoid or tell others not to get?
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 22:19   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

There is an entire thread on flashlights already.

I would update that to say that LEDs are the way to go, and there is no real need for the C and D battery flashlights anymore, except as an impact weapon. I would use AAs, 123s, or possibly rechargables, like the 18650s. You need spare batteries in your bag, and dozens of spares at home.

Handheld flashlights come in a variety of applications. You probably don't need a huge light with 1000 lumens to read the paper. You also don't want to try and spot a target at 100 meters with a micro-light.

I think headlamps are a necessity, and a spare handheld as well, preferably something with a multi-level setting, and possibly with a red light capability. I keep headlamps in my home, vehicles, and rucks. If you don't know where it is, or can't reach it, it does you no good.

I love the little micro-lights for keychains, dogtag chains, etc. I have even seen breachers attach them to their shotguns. They also come in IR versions, if you have NVDs.

Weapons lights are covered in a separate thread as well. Again, LED is the way to go.

LED lanterns can be handy, and itr is comforting to the kids to have them handy for when the lights go out.

As far as brands go, the SureFire is at the top, and the Chinese junk is at the bottom. Good lights can be had for reasonable prices in between and there are some bargains out there.

Hope that helps.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 22:25   #3
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
There is an entire thread on flashlights already.

TR
Crap. Didn't see this one in my search.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ht=flashlights

Just skipped right over it.
Poor SA on my part.

You can make this thread go away as needed.
Old 09-15-2014, 22:32   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

And this one.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...read.php?t=733

And this:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=2865

And a bunch more.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 09-15-2014, 22:47   #5
Sdiver
Area Commander

Whoa ... I have no idea where my head was while I was searching.

ETA ... Well there's one good thing about this screw up ... at least it wasn't Pat (PSM) pointing out my foible ... this time.

Last edited by Sdiver; 09-15-2014 at 22:50.
Old 09-15-2014, 23:39   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
ETA ... Well there's one good thing about this screw up ... at least it wasn't Pat (PSM) pointing out my foible ... this time.
Our comms connection was down several hours today so I missed it ... this time.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 09-16-2014 at 00:55.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:26   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The question isn't a bad one.

We probably need an update anyway.

TR

Old 09-16-2014, 11:19   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

4 D Cell Mag-lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
... and there is no real need for the C and D battery flashlights anymore, except as an impact weapon....
Which is why I still like to step outside at night with my 4 D Cell Mag-lite.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:36   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Which is why I still like to step outside at night with my 4 D Cell Mag-lite.
You should look for an LED replacement bulb.

Much more resistant to impact. I mean shock or droppage.

TR

Old 09-16-2014, 16:01   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Last year LA Police Gear had their LAPG L1 (800/320/10 lumen) 2 CR123 cell flashlight on sale for half price. I bought one just for fun, but now I wish I'd bought 2 or 3 at that price but they are only $50 normally.

LAPG L1

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 09-16-2014 at 16:04.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 17:20   #11
tunanut
Guerrilla

I have become a fan of Fenix flashlights.

http://www.fenix-store.com/tk-series/
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 21:24   #12
Sdiver
Area Commander

I have several located throughout the house.

On my night stand next to the bed I have a J5 Tactical single AA light.
Also have one in the bathroom, my BOB and school backpack. I got a deal on them so I got several.

I have a little light affixed to my folding knife. Not very bright, but it does provide some illumination when needed.

In the "everything" drawer in the kitchen, there is a cheap, cheap 2 C-cell plastic light. I have it for several years and just can't part with it.

When walking the dog I use a single AA streamlight PT. We have a green belt in the back where I walk the dog and aside from other people walking their dogs, coyotes traverse it regularly and have several run ins with them. They usually keep there distance, but have drawn down on a couple a few times when they get too close, but back off when I shine the light straight at them. That plus the dog going ape-shit sends them on their way.

I the living room I have one of my old Underwater Kinetics SL6. (I have a UK SL4 in my truck.) Which I also use when taking a shower. I have used this on several occasions, most notably when I lived in FWB Florida after we got hit with hurricanes Erin and Opal.

Also in the truck I have my head lamp, with red light option, as well as a small single AAA LED light.

All can be easily accessible when/if the lights go out and I check and change the batteries the same time I change the batteries in the smoke detectors when we move our clocks forwards/backwards.
Old 11-01-2014, 14:24   #13
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

I use Surefire and LensLight exclusively. All LED. All 123A power.

All of my business guns with provisions for a light are equipped with dedicated Surefires. Either Scout or X300.

For standard personal carry, from SF, I have the E2DL and M3. The M3 has an aftermarket LED head. From LL, I have the KO and Mini. Right now, LL Mini gets the most pocket time due to its small form factor. It is stupid bright. Two brightness settings. Adjustable focus. And I like the square spot that it throws. The Delrin clip does suck though, so I designed and built a much better deep pocket replacement out of Titanium.

Both brands are tough as nails. One of the plastic ears on the battery door of one of my X300s snapped off due to operator headspace and timing. Surefire had a free replacement in my hands in about four business days. Other than that, zero issues with any of these lights. They have been dropped on concrete, kicked, thrown, bashed into door jams, etc, and they just keep on ticking.

I have had lights from a bunch of other companies, and all of them had shortcomings. SF and LL, I would trust with my life.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 19:31   #14
alelks
Quiet Professional

Just not a fan of anything that uses 123 batteries these days and I still have a couple of older Surefires. Standard batteries are MUCH easier to find in a pinch in my opinion.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 20:06   #15
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

I like surefire hand-helds. Ive carried an E2D Led, in my pocket, for a few years now. I'ts been dropped off of a rocky bluff to land among rocks. Still works fine.

I keep a Petzl Tikka 2 in my BOB. It's a fair quality LED headlamp, for around $30, if I recall correctly. Runs on AAA's. I've used it quite a bit. No reason to change, except maybe battery type.