Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 08-08-2014, 16:23   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Yeah, that "feeling no pain" tends to go away as the meds wear off, doesn't it?

It will get better. It will just take a while.

Ask for something for the the nausea, like Zofran. I don't think the dry heaves are going to be conducive to your shoulder healing.

But WTF do I know, I was a grunt.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 23:38   #17
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx View Post
Day 5 Update: The pain isn't totally unbearable, I'm guessing that has to do with a 10mg Percocet every 4 hours as opposed to me being any kind of bad ass LOL. By far the worst things are having my arm immobilized, and the itching that is caused by the Percocets and the incisions starting to heal. I also get some bad headaches and feel nauseous from time to time.
You might want to think about weaning yourself off the narco stuff and try something OTC like naproxen sodium (generic for Aleve). I'm 10 weeks out of surgery and still take 2 tablets in the morning to get me thru the day.

Get use to the immobilized feeling for about another 5 weeks. Continue to use that foam block to keep your arm away from your body....it's there for a purpose, designed to elevate the arm out to allow for better blood flow to the shoulder for healing. Keep that arm in the sling, except when taking a shower or exercising, until the doctor tells you that it is no longer needed. It will keep tension off all the repaired tendons and muscles.

As DocIllinois said, "Sounds like the normal course of things from your description. Just don't let the happy pills lead you into overdoing things too soon".

How's the therapy going? I bet that hurts like hell, doesn't it?

Do you have a pulley rig at home for pulling your arm up straight out from the front and side, and for pulling it behind your back? If not, PM me and I'll send you one....it will help doing therapy at home. No charge.

SFA M-12786
cetheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16   #18
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I have started physical therapy yet. My first appointment is on the 12th. I'll start weaning myself off the percocets today. I took on at 8 this morning, I wont take on at 12, I'll take a mobic or something like that.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01   #19
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Good to hear you are trying to get off the percocet. If the OTC stuff works, you should be able to think clearer and not feel so loopy (OTOH, you may like that spaced-out feeling), especially if you are going to try to drive.

Hoping the best for you on that first therapy session. The number of weeks (months) you spend in structured therapy will depend on your efforts and desire to regain flexibility in that shoulder joint. It's the beginning of a long journey.

You are Airborne....I believe you'll do well!

SFA M-12786
Old 08-09-2014, 16:37   #20
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:28.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 17:38   #21
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Today worked out pretty well. My shoulder ached after the 0800 dose of Percocet wore off and I was able to suck it up. I just took my evening dose so I'll see how that goes.
Old 08-10-2014, 23:32   #22
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I hope you guys don't Monday if I put an update on here everyday/every couple of days. It gives me a chance to think about the day and give me a way to record the recovery with the added benefit of getting advice from you guys. I am so grateful for the advice I've gotten so far. Thank you all very much.

Today was a little rough, I think I over did it a bit and was in a lot of pain, so I ended up taking meds and sleeping most of the late afternoon away. After I woke up I felt much better.

I've got my first pysical therapy appt on Tuesday, we'll see how that goes LOL.
Old 08-10-2014, 23:52   #23
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Okay...tell us what it was you did today to make you think that you "over did it a bit" to cause you a lot of pain.

SFA M-12786
Old 08-11-2014, 06:09   #24
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

LOL, I was conducting vigorous exercise with my wife.
Old 08-11-2014, 15:34   #25
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

No worries, glad to help in any way.

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:28.
Old 08-11-2014, 17:36   #26
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Today has been pretty decent. I had to go on post for an appointment today so I took a half a 10mg Percocet around 0900, but that was only good until about noon. When I got home I took the other half of the 10mg, a baclofen, and a Valium and went to sleep for a few hours.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's physical therapy appointment mainly to find out how soon it will be until I can at least get started on the stationary bike (I feel like I'm getting fatter and fatter not doing any PT LOL).

As far as pre-medication before physical therapy, what do you guys suggest I go with?
Old 08-11-2014, 21:53   #27
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx View Post
LOL, I was conducting vigorous exercise with my wife.
"Holy shit, Batman!" Are you trying to tear loose the repairs to the shoulder joint?

I concur with RF1. Total recovery is long term, measured in MONTHS... not weeks.

If the Percocet is working for you, you might try one about an hour before therapy.....don't expect it to totally take away all pain. Once you start working that arm with light exercises, and especially when the therapist gets to stretching downward, sideways, and towards you head, there WILL BE PAIN! On a positive note, the ice pack will feel good.

If you have not been applying an ice pack at home, try it. It will help reduce inflammation.

Looking forward to your report of your first physical therapy session!

SFA M-12786
Old 08-13-2014, 20:20   #28
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Per the phys. therapists I went to my appointment today without taking any pain meds. Therapy consisted of passive stretches and pendulum swings followed by 10 mins of cold compression. The appointment was at 0900 and lasted maybe 30-45 mins. It wasn't bad pain-wise, but I knew that wouldn't last. I took a 10mg Percocet around noon and it did what it was supposed to do. The dull ache started around 1700, but it wasn't unbearable. I will add that this damn sling is a total pain in the ass!

Tomorrow is a free day with no appointments so I will continue the stretches they showed me to do on my own, but after that I gotta get after it and start on some body weight lower body/leg exercises with squats and lunges, and whatever else I can find through researching body weight exercises. I have got to find a way to keep my legs and core from losing anymore strength, I have worked too hard prior to my injury to be the "old assed Master Sergeant" who could out PT most of my unit.

After this I think I'm regretfully going to drop my retirement paperwork, but my goal is to be JROTC instructor and I'll be damned if I'm a fat assed one.

AATW!!

Last edited by pbr549xxx; 08-13-2014 at 20:30.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:27   #29
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Whew, I woke up hurting yesterday and physical therapy actually helped with the pain, it was more passive stretching followed by 10mins of ice. I would say I went in with my pain level at a 5 spiking to a 7 from time to time, by the time I left, it was at a 0. That didn't last long. The pain starting coming back in waves, later that day as I was walking out of a door, it slammed into my shoulder and that was all she wrote, I was at a pain level of 8 until I got back to my house. Lesson learned: Carry Percocet with me at all times LOL.

On the upside, the Physical Therapist wants to see me sooner than later next week, so I got an appointment for Monday.

The damn sling is still a pain in the ass though, especially since I'm right handed.
Old 08-16-2014, 13:51   #30
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Ice

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-16-2018 at 10:29.