Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > POW/MIA

Old 04-11-2011, 21:15   #1
Stras
Quiet Professional

CCN, RT Maryland MIAs recovered (VN MIA)

Source RFTW.org

CABARRUS COUNTY - The U.S. military is releasing new details about a North Carolina soldier who was killed during a mission in the Vietnam War.

Last week, WBTV learned that the body of Sergeant First Class Donald M. Shue was found, more than 41 years after he was killed in Vietnam. SFC Shue was killed during a reconnaissance mission in November 1969, the military confirmed to WBTV.

SFC Shue was part of a special forces reconnaissance patrol that was on a mission in Vietnam's Quang Tri Provenance that was "attacked and overrun by enemy forces on a remote hilltop," a spokeswoman for the Joint Prisoners of War, Missing in Action Accounting Command Center told WBTV on Tuesday.

The reconnaissance team retreated, but SFC Shue and two others were injured in the attack and presumed killed. SFC Shue has been listed as "Killed in Action/Body Not Recovered" since the attack.

According to Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) spokesperson Elizabeth Feeney, an investigation into the missing soldiers began in December 1993. In May 2009, a joint U.S.-Vietnamese team correlated the site where SFC Shue and the two other men were last seen. A month later, the team talked with a witness to the attack and found some remains.

It wasn't until March 2010 that the team was able to excavate the hilltop. The bodies were identified in January 2011.

Feeney says Sergeant First Class Donald Shue's remains were positively identified by JPAC. The two men found with him were Staff Sergeant Gunther H. Wald of New Jersey and Staff Sergeant William T. Brown of California. Both men were part of the same special forces reconnaissance patrol as SFC Shue.

According to the head of the Rolling Thunder motorcycle group, the family has asked the group to help lead SFC Shue's body home to Cabarrus County in late April. SFC Donald Shue rode bikes back in the 60's and his nephew, who is listed as next-of-kin, also rides and will be riding the lead with the motorcycle group both days.

SFC Shue is expected to be buried with his parents and brothers in Concord, NC on May 1st.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Special Operations.com MACVSOG Memorial 1969

03 Nov 69- William T Brown, SSG E-6 of La Habra, CA, Tm Ldr; Gunter Herbert Wald, SGT E-5 of Bergen, NJ, Asst Tm Ldr, and Donald Monroe Shue, SGT E-5, Tm Radio Op, USASF, SOA, CCN, Da Nang, Ops 35, MIA-Presumptive finding of death. The team was attacked by a numerically superior enemy force at night while in their RON position 30 miles inside Laos near Ban Chakevy Tai. The NVA, stripped to their shorts, came in silently with only AK’s and grenades. Brown was wounded in the side, and Walt and Shue wounded by fragmentation. Both were last seen lying wounded on the ground as the team’s position was about to be overran. Due to heavy enemy activity, the remaining team had withdraw leaving the three Americans behind. Adverse weather prevented a search until the 11th. The search team discovered "web gear" belonging to the wounded Americans, but nothing more.

-----------------------------------------------
Source: 1969. MACVSOG.org
Case 1514 Names: WALD, Gunther H.; BROWN, William T.; SHUE, Donald M.

Incident Date: 3 November 1969

UTM Coordinate: 48Q XD 643 674

Unit Assigned: Reconnaissance Team Maryland, Special Operations Augmentation (CCN), 5th Special Forces Group.

Background: On 3 November 1969, SSG Gunther H. Wald (10), SSG William T. Brown, and SP4 Donald M. Shue (12) were members of Reconnaissance Team (RT) Maryland operating in Laos near the border with Vietnam. RT Maryland consisted of three U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers and six indigenous soldiers. The nine men were in hasty defensive positions during a heavy rain storm in the vicinity of grid coordinate 48Q XD 643 674 inside Laos, approximately two kilometers west of the Vietnam/Laos border. At approximately 1500 (local), they were attacked by a 30 man enemy force from the high ground to the east and southeast. The three Americans were gravely wounded and had to be left behind when the other team members were forced to withdraw. One of the indigenous soldiers was also killed while evading.

On the afternoon of 4 November 1969 an AH-1G Cobra helicopter overflew the loss area and observed several trails through the elephant grass, but no signs of activity or signals were detected. Extremely bad weather prevented the insertion of another RT until 11 November 1969. That team found load bearing equipment belonging to three of the indigenous members of RT Maryland and SP4 Shue. However, efforts to locate the three missing Americans or their remains proved negative.

A post-incident board of inquiry was convened by 5th Special Forces Group on 28 November 1969. According to testimony from the Team’s interpreter, PONG, all three Americans were unconscious. SSG Wald and SP4 Shue were wounded by grenade fragments. SSG Brown was shot through the body by an AK-47 round and was most likely dead. PONG also stated that as he was withdrawing, he heard someone in the attacking force shout, “Hurry, forward, capture all of the Americans.”

The limited information contained in the board of inquiry report named the six indigenous soldiers on RT Maryland as: PONG (team interpreter), THE (KIA, while evading), CAM PHAN, TAHON, DE and RONG.

The Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) and Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) continue research and investigative efforts to resolve this case. Any additional information that you can provide may improve our chances of bringing home these three Americans.

Information Requirements:

1. What is the status of the remaining five indigenous soldiers on RT Maryland?
2. What are their full names?
3. Did any of them survive the war?
4. Does anyone know their current whereabouts?
5. Some post-war information suggests that only four indigenous soldiers survived the incident. Can anyone confirm and identify the second indigenous soldier killed in this loss incident?
6. Provide any additional information about the RT Maryland loss incident.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:36   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Warriors, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:36   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Harsh lesson learned for the first RT Maryland when they were hit in their RON by a specially trained counter-recon unit that had been tracking them.

RIP guys. Welcome home.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

RIP, Brothers...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44   #5
Susa
Guerrilla

Welcome Home. RIP

Last edited by Susa; 04-12-2011 at 10:46.
Susa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:41   #6
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

RIP brothers!
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:07   #7
Viking
Quiet Professional

I've worn Shue's POW/MIA bracelet since the 90s. Only since the losing friends in this war have I switched it. I have it here in the Stan with me and will wear it on patrol tomorrow. RIP Warriors!
Old 04-12-2011, 14:25   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Gone,but not forgotten.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw - Cached

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 07-06-2012 at 11:21.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 17:24   #9
Gypsy
Area Commander

Glad more of our men were found. Warriors...may your trip home be peaceful, may you Rest in Peace and may your families and friends find comfort in your homecoming.
Old 04-12-2011, 18:26   #10
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In God's Peace Warriors.

Welcome home!
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 19:12   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Welcome home, RT Maryland.

Rest In Peace.

You kept the faith, and now we have as well.

Your service and your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:16   #12
Stingray
Guerrilla

CCN, RT Maryland MIAs recovered (VN MIA)

Welcome home and may you Rest in Peace.
Thank very much for your service.

Sincerely,

"In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance, My head is bloody, but unbowed." William Ernest Henley
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:35   #13
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

RIP brothers!
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 20:44   #14
dkr02
Asset

I've worn Sgt Shue's red MIA bracelet since the early 70's. Will continue to wear it in his memory. RIP RT Maryland.

Rick
dkr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:57   #15
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

RIP Brothers.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote