Richard
Quiet Professional

1st SFG Soldier Completes Grueling 100-mile Ultra-marathon

100 miles in 31:36:17.

And so it goes...

Richard

1st SFG Soldier Completes Grueling 100-mile Ultra-marathon
NWGuardian, 12 Apr 2012

Ultra-marathon runners congregated at the starting line in Richland March 30 to begin a 100-mile journey through Badger Mountain’s steep terrain of rock, mud covered trails and rolling hills.

The will to persevere and endure the trails of the Badger Mountain Challenge 100-mile ultra-marathon pushed Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Paige, a retention NCO assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Special Forces Group, through unchartered physical and mental limits during his first ultra-marathon.

“Everyone has their own way they go about trying to attain some sense of clarity, some sort of connection with a higher being,” Paige said, regarding the method of reaching that clarity. “There is just something special about pushing your body to its physical and mental limits while at the same time being away from the hustle and bustle of modern day society as you tromp through the woods by yourself or with a good running friend.”

In spite of strong winds, cold rain, exhaustion and poor visibility at night, Paige completed the run. He not only proved to himself he could complete the run but he also arrived at a new understanding of the human spirit.

After returning from Afghanistan in July 2010, Paige injured himself and was unable to work out on a consistent basis. A former colleague and friend, Maj. Jonathan Shark, assigned to 2nd Brigade, encouraged him to enter the marathon.

Sharing the experience, Shark ran the 100-mile ultra-marathon with Paige.

“He’s got the heart, more than anybody I’ve ever seen,” Shark said. “He’s got this no quit attitude, and you can see it because he never quits and never surrenders.”

Paige prepared for the race with a determination that proved it could be completed.

“My conditioning started about August of last year and I ran anywhere from eight to 12 hours a week,” Paige said.

The mental challenges of the marathon included the rigors of running in the dark and the constant battle against sleep deprivation.

“A little after three in the morning my senses were not at 100 percent,” Paige said. “I completely lost all sense of direction.”

In that moment Paige deviated from the course, losing mileage along with precious time.

Despite the physical pain, the lost time and running excess miles, he refused to accept the agony of defeat.

“I was going to finish this race on my own two feet, even if I ended up coming in after the 32-hour time limit,” he said. “By the time I reached the 85-mile marker, my feet were on fire and I was tempted to quit until I thought of my son.” After reaching the final descent on Badger Mountain, he was greeted by smiling faces. Ryan and Alana, his 6 and 10-year-old children, ran the last 100 yards, crossing the finish line with their dad. He finished the marathon with a time of 31:36:17.

At the finish line, Paige’s family was joined by other spectators who greeted him.

Steve Hall, a teacher from Whidbey Island, and father of Megan Hall, who placed fourth in the same ultra-marathon, asked to shake Paige’s hand in appreciation of how well he overcame the temptation to quit and about the message he sent to his family.

Hall said he admired Paige because, “What he did is a testimony to the human spirit and what we can accomplish if you put your mind to it, so if it requires over-the-top physical conditioning to do the job, then that’s what we’ll do because we can’t deny the human spirit of the American.”

http://www.nwguardian.com/2012/04/12...-grueling.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFC Paige.jpg (27.3 KB, 296 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Great Job, SFC Paige, that's one for Special Forces.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13   #4
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

WOW.

That is awesome.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Great job.. Frikin awesome.

I take it that no reporting on him being SF that he is non tabbed then?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Great Job....... Great example for others.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 16:05   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Congratulations! A great accomplishment!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 00:44   #8
deanwells
Quiet Professional

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27   #9
Lars
Quiet Professional

nope

He helped out with my reenlistment paperwork. He used to be the 2nd BN retention guy. He's not tabbed. Great to work with and super nice though.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14   #10
Bishop
Asset

Amazingly done!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:53   #11
cjwils3
Guerrilla

Sgt. 1st Class Paige is such an inspiration! His perserverance and dedication serve as an example to all of how rewarding those virtues are when one puts every effort into attaining a goal. For me, it brings to mind a quote from a speech delivered by our nation's 26th President:

"I wish to preach, not the doctrine of ignoble ease, but the doctrine of a strenuous life, the life of toil and effort, of labor and strife; to preach that highest form of success with comes, not to the man who desires mere easy peace, but to the man who does not shrink from danger, from hardship, or from bitter toil, and who out of these wins the splendid ultimate triumph."

-Theodore Roosevelt
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt
cjwils3 is offline   Reply With Quote