Old 11-30-2011, 12:18   #1
69harley
Guerrilla

PDA-184

Does anyone know who to contact on Bragg for a copy of PDA-184 software?

This software is available free from DISA, but nobody in the S-6 knows where to get it from.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:49   #2
Whitetip1115
Quiet Professional

It usually ships on a 256mb flash drive with the USB to 117/PSC-5/MBITR Cable, and is essentially useless without the cables.

P/N for the 117G cable is 9065 and cage code is ONLW9, that might get you started in the right direction.
Whitetip1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54   #3
JROD
Asset

PDA-184

Their are multiple versions out there and some are not compatible. I am currently the USASFC Tactical Comms guy and I can provide you with a copy if you have not yet accuired one. Also if you nee to know the correct version. I can be reached at 910-643-8436 / SFC Rodriguez, Johnny.
JROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 14:45   #4
Electron
Guerrilla

Try your Electronics Maintenance Shop. If they don't have it, they can point you in the right direction.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 23:55   #5
rocketjok
SF Candidate

There is also a zip file containing several versions on the latest sompe build
rocketjok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44   #6
69harley
Guerrilla

I picked up a copy from the committee awhile back. I really like how this software enables all of the various radios to pass data. No more proprietary addressing, as it is all IP based.

I also really like the cables from Smartronix vs the overpriced, single-purpose cables from Harris, Thales and Ratheon. The Smartronix cable will load, remote control and pass data, whereas the radio companies have you buying a seperate cable for each task.
Old 05-30-2012, 22:52   #7
rocketjok
SF Candidate

Could you post the NSN's to those cables. I have a buddy over in a LRSC unit that needed some help they got issued those cables and jem mbitrs to use with PDA184 and could not get them to work. I got them to work but its a pain in the ass and not reliable. Any experince using them with jems? My team just got some jems for pmt and I snaged a cable to experment with.

Last edited by rocketjok; 05-30-2012 at 23:03.
rocketjok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 17:14   #8
Whitetip1115
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69harley View Post
I picked up a copy from the committee awhile back. I really like how this software enables all of the various radios to pass data. No more proprietary addressing, as it is all IP based.

I also really like the cables from Smartronix vs the overpriced, single-purpose cables from Harris, Thales and Ratheon. The Smartronix cable will load, remote control and pass data, whereas the radio companies have you buying a seperate cable for each task.
I wasn't able to get the smartronix cable to work on my CF-19 albeit I only plugged it in twice. Tried to install the software but it was a no-go. Anything special you did with yours? I borrowed one from our CCT in lieu of our 117G PDA cable.
Whitetip1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:00   #9
69harley
Guerrilla

I had no trouble getting the Smarttronix cable to work. As for PDA-184 and the MBITR or JEM, so far it seems to run pretty well for us. Much faster than the old V-Mail.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:10   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This isn't SIPR, or even NIPR.

Let's make sure this stays within appropriate security classifications and complies with SIGSEC.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:40   #11
69harley
Guerrilla

Interesting brief on the history and future of PDA-184. Joe Adami would certainly be proud.

PDA-184 Update

The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) Special Operations Research, Development and Acquisition Center (SORDAC), Program Executive Officer for Command, Control, Communications and Computers (PEO C4) requires systems engineering support for continued development and maintenance of Personal Data Assistant (PDA-184) software. The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) was tasked with the responsibility for managing the engineering, software development and maintenance support for PDA-184.

DISA initially, developed PDA-184 software in the late 1990's as an experimental tool (A Beta Version of the current PDA-184 application) to enhance the MIL-STD-188-184 protocol. Around 2006, USSOCOM requested that DISA assess PDA-184 application for further development and modifications to determine its operational functionality in the Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) environment. DISA's assessment study identified that the PDA-184 could be adapted as a user friendly operational application at significant cost savings when compared to commercially available proprietary applications.

PDA-184's development reached a major milestone in 2007, with the release of PDA-184 Version 4.9.3. Through additional enhancements, we recently released Version 4.11.1 and in doing so, we have reached a terminal point in the development of the current software architecture of the PDA-184 application.

Further development will include consolidation of multiple versions of PDA-184 into a single version to regain configuration control and code refactoring (re-architecture) to reduce code complexity; improved readability and maintainability, and improve code extensibility. Code re-architecture will enable a multiplicity of coding enhancements unachievable today.

Because of a recent decision by DISA management to bifurcate the PDA-184 and the IW (PDA-184 Interface), the evolution of the PDA-184 will continue on an independent path. We will also endeavor to promote structure to the current evolutionary software development effort and underpin its importance to the WARFIGHTER by officially listing the PDA-184 as a DISA "Project of Record." As such, System Engineering disciplines will be established and continued in follow-on efforts to capture and document previous accomplishments, foster performance based processes and advance future code development.
Old 10-26-2016, 13:29   #12
vtx1800c
Asset

PDA-184

I know this is an Old Thread, but am wondering if anyone has some advice on how to get the PDA-184 Software. While I am not a member of your Distinguished Community, I am a CECOM LAR and I do support you Brothers here at Ft Campbell in 5th Group. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated Gentlemen.
CECOM IT Radio LAR
AMC-BLST USD-C
Al Asad AE 09333
vtx1800c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:18   #13
Gunny1
Asset

PDA-184 Information

The latest information on PDA-184 can always be obtained by visiting the PDA-184 Page at DISA's website. The application is actively being maintained by DISA and a new release is expected within the next few months.
Gunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46   #14
Gunny1
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69harley View Post
Does anyone know who to contact on Bragg for a copy of PDA-184 software?

This software is available free from DISA, but nobody in the S-6 knows where to get it from.
The latest information on PDA-184 can always be obtained by visiting the PDA-184 Page at DISA's website. The application is actively being maintained by DISA and a new release is expected within the next few months.
Gunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote