Old 01-28-2018, 20:49   #1
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Flu...

With all the different strains going around currently as well as school closings I'm curious what the Deltas do when they get the flu?

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 21:03   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

They beotch and moan like little babies.....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 21:27   #3
InnaK
Asset

Russian way to stay healthy. MANUKA honey. Ginger in Japan.

N/A

Last edited by InnaK; 01-30-2018 at 20:52.
InnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:52   #4
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnaK View Post
When the temperature is 42C all the microbes in our body simply die.”
Well at a minimum, that would play hell with gut flora and digestion, I'd think.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

You don't have to have the flu to enjoy a well mixed hot toddy...

Take a steaming hot cup of strong green-tea...
Add a "shot" of your favorite bourbon (or Brandy)
Add a big tablespoon of fresh honey
Add a splash of lemon juice
Drop in a cinnamon stick if you want to kick it up a notch

...it makes you feel better

It may not actually "cure" the flu, but it WILL make you feel better.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:53   #6
rsdengler
Area Commander

So does a nice shot of Blackberry Brandy......

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40   #7
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
CSM Thank you for the reminder that humor is a medicine unto it's own! even better when in the form eloquent sentence ( vast body of experience encapsulated into the essence).

I had forgotten my grandmother used apricot brandy in a tea toddy...

Interesting physiology, after a week out at elevation in cold temps. You begin to wonder how many took such extremes of cold for the duration they did...but looks like my immunity was unraveled after one day of shoulder to shoulder people at Outdoor Retail Snow Show

Hot showers and Theraflu started to help the petrified congestion in my head and started to get some better sleep. Surely there must be some better medicines.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 01-30-2018 at 14:29.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 17:38   #8
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
You don't have to have the flu to enjoy a well mixed hot toddy...

Take a steaming hot cup of strong green-tea...
Add a "shot" of your favorite bourbon (or Brandy)
Add a big tablespoon of fresh honey
Add a splash of lemon juice
Drop in a cinnamon stick if you want to kick it up a notch

...it makes you feel better

It may not actually "cure" the flu, but it WILL make you feel better.
Pretty damn close to what I use.

If running a fever and you can tolerate it let it run. Viruses are heat sensitive and you will recover faster.

For the cough I use
1/2 cup of tea (green or black your choice)
1 oz (2 tablespoons) whiskey (again your choice)
1 tablespoon honey (local raw)
juice from a fresh squeezed lemon
NO cinnamon in mine.

I saw probably 15 confirmed cases of the flu today; and under 2 years old, over 65 yo, underlying lung disease or pregnant I use Tamiflu.

A humidifier is a great asset when the humidity is low.

Otherwise sweat it out and live longer than the virus!
Old 01-29-2018, 18:13   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Never had a cold, never had the flu. Didn't get flu shots in the military. Now that I say that online, I'm dead.......
Old 01-29-2018, 18:33   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Never had a cold, never had the flu. Didn't get flu shots in the military. Now that I say that online, I'm dead.......
I rarely had a cold until my wife started student teaching. The Army made me get a flu shot when I got out in late 1970 and flu season, early 1971, I got the flu so bad I thought I was going to die. Never had one since then and never had the flu. No more colds either since my wife decided she didn't want to teach the little germ factories.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 20:09   #11
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

On the ice water immersion it was noted in the Lewis and Clark Journals that shortly after arriving in what is now Washington state they had a member of the party get extremely sick and the couldn't move him. They waited around and figured he was going to die. The local Indians gave their 2 cents and it was followed: stuck the guy in a sweat lodge till he was incapacitated and then took him out an threw him in the cold river. After about 4 times of this the guy was much better. I think he just got damn tired of that torture and just said he felt better It has been some years since I read the Journals but I do recall that story from them.

Blackberry brandy, commonly used in my part of the country for snow snake medicine, kill jug drink of choice, and a little shot of warmth on a below zero day. For those that don't know what a kill jug is, it is a bottle of spirits that are carried along on a hunt and when critter has been taken the bottle is passed around, usually until empty. Don't ask me about snow snakes, I've never seen one.....

The last time I was really bad sick with fever and all the extras I laid around and watched tv and didn't feel like eating much. After couple of days of this I was watching a movie one night and decided I really wanted something to eat. Looked in the fridge and freezer and my eye stopped on the ice cream carton. I ate the whole half gallon in one sitting....nocked the hell out of my fever and I felt much better the next day. That was 8 years ago and haven't really been sick since so I don't know if that remedy would repeat itself.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 20:40   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Your visage scares off even the foulest of virus's .....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01   #13
InnaK
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well at a minimum, that would play hell with gut flora and digestion, I'd think.
May be Russian gut flora and digestion is different???? It keeps me healthy. I never get sick.
InnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:29   #14
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
You know, my father never, ever had a cold, the flu, or even a headache...TS, you my good man are in great company indeed.....

And I agree with PRB "Your visage scares off even the foulest of virus's "....virus germs must cower in terror whenever they hear the name "TS"..."No Herman you try to invade that body, I am not going there, I'm going after something easier".......LOL

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 01-30-2018 at 05:31.
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:18   #15
Box
Quiet Professional

The REAL trick is to keep enough whisky in your blood that the germs are never able to get a foothold...
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote