Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 12-02-2013, 23:15   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Yes.

I just got back from A-stan, had a 12 man team.
Funny as you're the only one that answered out of the hundreds of Special Forces soldiers on here.... I've never seen a 12 man A-team in my 17 years in Special Forces.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 00:12   #17
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRoad View Post
Let me guess - it was a composite team, and one of the four that the AOB deployed with . . .
No. My organic team, all the requisite MOS's with the right rank mixtures. Just about every team in the Company had 12 guys. Special Forces CAN be mass produced.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:11   #18
Mike
Quiet Professional

Not even in RVN.
A-Team Puque 68-70.
Old 03-10-2014, 19:48   #19
LongWire
Quiet Professional

I was on an ODA in A 1/5, and we had 14 guys at one point. That lasted a few months, but Scooter is correct. We had about 12 guys on that team for a good while, at least on paper, after having to loan a couple out to plus up other teams.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 20:10   #20
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

During the Surge in Iraq, 10th was DA authorized over strength. We typically fielded teams of 13-15 guys for both PMT and the entire downrange tour. Did that for two rotations. Eventually, that over strength was reallocated to form our new 4th Bn.

I had a twelve man team for an entire year back in '96 out at Carson. Two teams from the battalion were selected for participation in an SF Battle Lab Program. Both teams were required to be fully manned (with continuity of personnel) for the entire 12 months of sequential fly-away exercises, Force Mod equipment evaluation, and various types of mandatory Ft Bragg experimentation with simulators, MDMP, etc. . We did mirror image training (both teams either training together or supporting one another). Myself and the other Team Sergeant got to actually draw up our "dream" annual training calendar... and then execute it (without ever having to give any one up for external bullshit). Everything we planned, we did, and without the distraction of support details or not having someone present for training (outside of personal emergencies). Shoot, Move, and Communicate. Jump, Drop Bombs, Ski, Infil as ODAs into 3 or 4 major exercises (both conventional and SOF). 160th Support. CAS support. All of our requested away training deployments funded. It was... better than sex. Well... maybe not... but still pretty damn good.

The day that gig ended, so did my perfect twelve man team. They cut a hunk of flesh off my team with a vengeance. Gimme two guys for Group and Bn Staff. Give me a guy for the B-Team. Somebody for SWC. QPs know the drill...

Last edited by Astronomy; 03-12-2014 at 20:27.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote