Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-01-2007, 19:34   #1
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Democrats Pushing for 'Gays in the Military'

Democrats Pushing for 'Gays in the Military'
Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2007 2:34 p.m. EST

A Massachusetts Democrat on Wednesday plans to re-introduce a bill repealing the congressional ban on homosexuals serving in the military.
Rep. Marty Meehan's Military Readiness Enhancement Act died last year in the Republican-controlled Congress. But with Democrats in charge, Meehan is more optimistic about passing the bill.

Meehan, who chairs the Armed Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, plans to hold hearings as early as April, USA Today reported.
Meehan's bill would require the U.S. Armed Forces to adopt a policy of nondiscrimination based on sexual orientation - allowing homosexuals to openly serve in the military, something they cannot do now.

Three Republicans have signed on, including Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida.

Since the Clinton-era "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" enforcement policy took effect, almost 11,000 troops have been discharged from the military, USA Today reported.

("Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was Bill Clinton's way of getting around the 1993 federal law that says homosexuality is incompatible with military service. The Clinton policy allowed homosexuals to serve in the military as long as they kept quiet about their sexual orientation. Critics have long argued that the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" enforcement policy is inconsistent with federal law.)
Meehan and his supporters argue that his bill will strengthen the military by retaining valuable servicemembers. But opposition to homosexuals serving in the military remains strong in conservative quarters.

"For the sake of civilian institutions as well as the military, homosexual activists should not be allowed to impose their agenda on the armed forces," says the Center for Military Readiness. Not everyone is eligible to serve in the military, the group insists.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 19:45   #2
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, what are these people thinking?? They obviously keep thinking the military is a social experiment.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 19:47   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Got to be careful.....

"Watch my back" will take on a whole new meaning.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 19:49   #4
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
"Watch my back" will take on a whole new meaning.
............."BOHICA....?
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 19:57   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Most of the discharged troops were Basic enlistees who found it to be an easy non-punitive way toy get out of the military, and one that the cadre could not argue with them over or fight to keep them.

Specifically, Lackland and the Airman Basic prohgram there had huge numbers discharged under that program. The gay rights people adopted them as a cause, even though almost all of them later admitted that they were not gay.

I wonder if we will have to go to four restrooms now, so that we are not sexually harrassed in the latrines?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 20:35   #6
spectre919
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper

I wonder if we will have to go to four restrooms now, so that we are not sexually harrassed in the latrines?

TR
TR-

We all know the agenda is NOT for our well-being. We'll probably have to have homosexual sensitivity classes...on top of all the other BS feel good stuff.

Imagine going to the next military formal (you know, mess/service dress) and Charlie Hotpants and his boyfriend are sitting right across from you.......I need to quite....just threw-up in my mouth......need bourbon.....

"O Lord bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. and the Lord did grin and people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orang-utans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and..."
spectre919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07   #7
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Retirement is not all that bad after hearing this. Next the military will have to recognize gay marriage and all them quarters.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 00:22   #8
504PIR
Guerrilla

I think what we are seeing, by the bill and others (AWB, surrender in Iraq, ending the tax cuts) are the Dems trying to placate and payback the extreme left-wing base of their party.

They have had several years in which to build up their "moderate" image. Its getting ready to blow up in their face. Just as the Carter adminstration, the Dem controlled Congress in early 90s (with Clinton) resulted in Republican victories in 1980, 94, etc......I really think that in 2008 we will see a shift back to the right (Granted I'm not that big of a fan of Republicans who have pissed away so many oppourtunties while in power).

I don't believe the sky is falling with the Dems in power, but there will be damage to the Republic with these knuckleheads in the majority. But as a citizen who is a politcal conservative I will do everything I can to ensure that the Dems return to the minority.

If the liberals are given enough rope..........they will hang themseleves everytime!
504PIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:15   #9
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504PIR
If the liberals are given enough rope..........they will hang themseleves everytime!
And the rest of us...if we let them.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13   #10
504PIR
Guerrilla

Unfortunately Gypsy,..........you are correct.
504PIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:22   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Nothing like imposing an unpleasant policy on a group of people largely other than your own constituency.

The military is over 80% Repub and conservative to boot.

Not too many gays or Dims serving, or trying to get in to serve.

Kind of like gun control. Most legal firearms owners left the Democratic party a long time ago.

Pass the legislation, and it has little or no effect on your supporters, and disenfranchises your opponents. The fascists and the Nazis would be proud of them.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54   #12
JPH
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The fascists and the Nazis would be proud of them.

Nothing more to be said

JPH
Old 03-03-2007, 17:55   #13
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

I'm active duty and have been so now for 21 1/2 years. I don't care if a homo is in my unit. BUT, if a homo can shower with me, I want to shower with girl Soldiers. It's gotta be the same, right? If some buttplunger can freely check me out while naked, I should have the same opportunity with the gals. If that accomadation doesn't occur, well, then the present policy should remain in place.
Old 03-03-2007, 18:14   #14
incommin
Quiet Professional

If 93 to97 percent of the population is heterosexual, that is the norm.

That means that if you are anything else, you are abnormal.

Abnormal people should not should not be allowed to vote let alone serve in the military!

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 18:19   #15
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar Rider
... BUT, if a homo can shower with me, I want to shower with girl Soldiers.......
Oh, yes! The "Starship Troopers" rule. Co-ed showers!
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote