Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-19-2005, 16:50   #76
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Are you sure that's what core strength means?
Perhaps he's referring to it in the Pilates sense of the word. Read about some NFL linemen giving up weightlifting and taking up Pilates instead.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 17:24   #77
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho
Some of you may want to check out www.Crossfit.com. It's a website/gym/community that seems to have found favor among military/le types.

They work hard on finding the right combination of functional speed/strength/power/endurance/balance/agility. They do O-lifts and other
Nice website. The O-lift isn't in one of their video exercises. They had references to O-lift trainers. What is an O-lift?

FrontSight
Old 03-19-2005, 17:39   #78
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Olympic.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 18:14   #79
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Perhaps he's referring to it in the Pilates sense of the word. Read about some NFL linemen giving up weightlifting and taking up Pilates instead.
That was my meaning. "Core strength" has become a buzz word and now a cliche. Some innovative trainers realized a while back that standard weight lifting routines (notice I didn't say strength training) don't make you a better athlete. One name that comes to mind is Mark Verstegen, who takes college athletes and preps them for pro combines. His philosophy is train movements, not muscle groups, and he concentrates on mid-body parts.

Now every aerobic instructor seems to have a DVD promoting core strength, which usually means sit-ups on an exercise ball.

Witness http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...core%20fitness

Last edited by Leozinho; 03-19-2005 at 18:19.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 17:53   #80
Scrappy
Asset

i have been running 4 miles a day and then doing sprints trying to bring my recovery time down. Talked to my recruiter today and he gave me an assignment to see if i could be at 6 miles by next week. I kinda get the feeling there will be puke on the track tonight.
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 21:49   #81
Dustin03
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy
........... I kinda get the feeling there will be puke on the track tonight.
Those are the best times man! I feel my best after I run so hard that I want to throw up.
Dustin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 22:14   #82
DunbarFC
Guerrilla

Now that warm weather is here I'm back to road biking

Have a 200 mile two day ride to raise money for MS coming up in June I need to get ready for
Old 04-29-2005, 19:09   #83
ccrn
Guerrilla

On top of my usual body weight PT, running, and weight lifting...

Ive added cross country trail running.

Ive also hung about twenty foot of heavy rope in my backyard for climbing and Im thinking of building a seven foot wall like you see in conditioning courses.

Ive also started doing one hundred yard sprints with BA, LBV, and ruck upon recommendation of a member here.

(edit spelling)

Last edited by ccrn; 04-30-2005 at 12:19.
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 13:50   #84
Razor
Quiet Professional

ccrn, before installing a wall, might I recommend putting up a pull-up bar? The versatility of a simple pull-up bar is much greater than a wall for developing overall fitness (pull-ups, chin-ups, abdominal and back work, shoulder and lat development, etc).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 13:29   #85
ccrn
Guerrilla

Razor,

Ive had one in my hallway for months (which does get used).

Thankyou very much for the suggestion-

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 20:25   #86
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

CCRN,
Here is a mod you might want to make to make te pull ups more interesting. Learned this in college from an NCO who was also a Heerbergsfuhrer (SP? 10th Groupers?). Take a piece of PVC pipe, about six inches inner diameter, and place it over the bar. Now try to do the pull ups. It is really ingenious actually, it forces you to goose neck your wrist in order to stay on it, and it also prevents you from kipping you way up. To make it really interesting, have the pull up bar suspended (we used rope at threaded through the bar).

GFB
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 21:18   #87
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For Broke
Learned this in college from an NCO who was also a Heerbergsfuhrer ...Take a piece of PVC pipe
Herresbergfuhrer...and would you be so kind as to PM the name of the individual to me...? i worked with the first five or six who were qualified, helped screen another half dozen or so potential candidates...

BTW, Bergfuhrers had a lot of perverse ways to do PT...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54   #88
vivelamorte
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
for PT or H2H?
I have found a great complement for boxing - Systema, which is marketed as "Russian Martial Art".

The brother of this guy http://www.russianmartialart.com/ is teaching it down here. A few ex-soldiers from Russia, and they're all tough as, er, woodpecker lips. And unbelievably friendly and nice, good chums. Quite unlike anything else I've done.

Apart from that, I finally ought to get my ar** up and start a strict running regime, and fartlek, and hang up a punching bag......

Last edited by vivelamorte; 05-08-2005 at 09:57.
vivelamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 21:27   #89
The Dave
Auxiliary

Just started bodyweight only training tonight. Seems like I got much much more of a workout than when I'm using the free weights.

Starting rock climbing this weekend, so I'll see how that helps improve the upper body too.
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 22:01   #90
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What program are you doing TheDave?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote