Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31   #1
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

What does "Flash Qualified" Mean?

I searched and read this thread on Wearing the Tab: LINK but I am still a bit confised.

My simple understanding is that the Special Forces Tab was created in 1983 and if a soldier completed Special Forces Qualification Traing prior to that time he was awarded the "Flash".

So, if somebody tells you he is "flash qualified" does that mean he graduated SFOC prior to 1983 and earned the privledge and honor of wearing the Green Beret? Or does it mean that he did not hold an 18-series MOS but supported those that do?

I ask this because my current professor for one of my Master's Degree classes has the statement in his bio that he was a "Flash Qualified Officer" on 23 March 1971. I can provide more information in a PM as I do not want to post PII in the open without permission from him.

Thank you for the help and for clearing up this bit of confusion on my part.

Cake
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42   #2
RichL025
Quiet Professional

Yes, that means he was "SF qualified" - as we would call it today.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53   #3
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL025 View Post
Yes, that means he was "SF qualified" - as we would call it today.

Yes, it does...however I never heard anyone, officer, or enlisted refer to themelves as "flash qualified". Before 18 series MOSs came to be, us old farts earned (SQIs) either the "3" prefix (officers); the "S" suffix (enlisted). Later, officers earned the "5G" suffix to designate SF qualification.

A group flash was not an individual "award".

Last edited by VVVV; 10-08-2013 at 11:58.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:55   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

"Full" flash, as opposed to a "candy striper."

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01   #5
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
"Full" flash, as opposed to a "candy striper."

TR
TR,

remember I am a moron, Oxy-moron to be exact ( Military Intelligence) so..

is a "candy striper" somebody attached to a SF group for support authorized to wear certain uniform items only while thusly attached?

Cake
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

Depends on the time frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_14N View Post
TR,

remember I am a moron, Oxy-moron to be exact ( Military Intelligence) so..

is a "candy striper" somebody attached to a SF group for support authorized to wear certain uniform items only while thusly attached?

Cake
The wearing of Green Berets, "Full Flash" "Candy striper", Marron Berets. et al is very time specific.

At one time like the late 70's everybody in a Group wore a Green Beret. Those who had completed the Q Couse wore the full flash, while non SF qualified folks wore a small bar of a portion of the flash - the Candy Stripe.

Shorthand lingo in a conversation would/could use the term "Flash Qualified".
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07   #7
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

Here is the self-description"

This is exactly what is posted in his bio:

" I am a retired US Army Lieutenant Colonel, and served as a combat engineer with duty assignments in Germany, Vietnam, Korea and the USA. My MOS was: 21A5B5G and SMOS: 54A. I am proud to have been an enlisted Paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division, and then a “flash qualified” Special Forces Officer (SFOC graduate: 23 Mar 1971)."

I just want to fully understand what he means.

I better just go straight to the source and just ask him to explain and then refer him here to re-connect with friends.