Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 05-30-2009, 17:24   #1
Red Finch
Asset

Wearing of SF insignia before qualification?

The following video is a news segment documenting the Times Square Recruiting Station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWvBDHmC3j8

At 3:11 minutes a Pvt. Gomez is interviewed and he states, that after 10 months in the Army he has completed: "Basic, AIT which is Advanced Individual Training, where they teach you your job and also Airborne School". And yet he is wearing what I believe is the SF shoulder sleeve insignia on his ACUs. If he were an 18x candidate, as his record may suggest, would he be permitted to wear this before qualifying in the 18 series? I do not mean to catch anyone out, I am simply curious.

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde
Red Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 18:04   #2
Kyobanim

Yes, it's part of his uniform. The patch means he is slated to go to, or is a member of a SF group. It doesn't mean is is SF qualed. That is the Tab that goes above the patch.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 21:10   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I made it through basic, AIT, Jump School, Phase I, II & III of SF training between July 11, 1970 and June 1, 1971, making E-5 in the process. I was very lucky, hitting all my training with little or no wait between classes. The big key was, as a commo man, I already knew IMC, so it saved me weeks of training...The day I graduated from SWC with an assignment to the 5th SFG(A) as an 05B4S was the proudest day of my life....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 22:23   #4
FrankCastle18b
Quiet Professional

The SWCS patch is what they are supposed to wear until they completely finish and move out to group.
Support personnel wear the patch that he is wearing and are currently assigned to a Special Forces Group. All students Wear the SWCS patch.
FrankCastle18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:56   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The SWCS patch is what they are supposed to wear until they completely finish and move out to group. Support personnel wear the patch that he is wearing and are currently assigned to a Special Forces Group. All students Wear the SWCS patch.
We wore the SF SSI going through SFTG and - upon completion of Phase 1 - the beret w/SF DUI and w/o flash. I can understand the reasoning behind the current wearing of the SWCS SSI when attending SFQC - but we were glad to have avoided the flaming piss-pot () in my day.

Question: Do those 18s already in a Group wear the SWCS SSI when attending another MOS producing course - e.g., an 18B from the 7th returning to go through the D course?

Just curious.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:10   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

Assigned vs TDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
....Question: Do those 18s already in a Group wear the SWCS SSI when attending another MOS producing course - e.g., an 18B from the 7th returning to go through the D course?...
Assigned vs TDY

Depends on what the orders say. Almost all students going through the basic course are assigned and wear the SWC patch. A very few who are not assigned elect to wear the SWC patch as it raises less questions while in formation.

Just about everything else is some form of TDY and the students wear their unit flash and patch.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote