Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 12-09-2010, 07:42   #1
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Look Familiar to Anyone?

I understand the desire to stick to designs that work well, but copying someone else's isn't very classy.

This is the SCHF3, manufactured by Schrade, designed by someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schf3.jpg (6.5 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by Barbarian; 12-09-2010 at 07:44.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00   #2
mike-munich
Guerrilla

A $40 copy of the awesome Reeves/Harsey GB knife...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:06   #3
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich View Post
A $40 copy of the awesome Reeves/Harsey GB knife...
Not the faux-GB, the faux-Pacific, from the drop in th point on the spine, and the cuts in the handle.

It's sad that a well known and respected company like Schrade would stoop so low. I only have a couple of their knives, they may get traded off... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but c'mon.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 12-09-2010 at 10:12.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19   #4
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Bump.

Apparently, Taylor Brands (parent Co. of Schrade) has no shame. Looks like they're still doing this.

http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/shop/...hf3-p-204.html

Last edited by Barbarian; 08-22-2013 at 11:58.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:57   #5
The_Mentalist
Guerrilla

Boycott schrade. I will.
The_Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58   #6
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

As soon as I get my forge up and running this winter, I think I'm just going to stop buying knives from anyone, and only carry what I forge myself...
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24   #7
uspsmark
BANNED USER

Taylor Knives is very close to where I live. I have a close, personal friend that works in their Marketing Dept. (specifically for Shrade). Is the original knife patented? If so, I'd like to let my friend know. I do know that Taylor only bought the Schrade name, no tooling, plans, etc. I have several prototype knives of theirs. If it comes down to it, I'll boycott them as well.
uspsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36   #8
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I do know that Taylor only bought the Schrade name, no tooling, plans, etc.
Yep. The old Schrade is long gone. The current Schrade's knife products are now made overseas, along with Smith and Wesson, Old Timer, Uncle Henry, and Imperial.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00   #9
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

USPSMark
"Is the original knife patented?"

Maybe not, but that isn't really the point. the point is that this knife company that is very large can't even make the effort to look at someone's work and make changes to improve it or at least make changes.
When ever possible and I can afford it I buy good quality from a US manufacturer or at least made in a friendly country.
On a little bit of a rant. Buying anything made in China when there is any option is short sighted, it damages America and is as bad as killing puppies for fun.

If you can't afford LaRue or Daniel Defense or another top tier manufacturer you can at least buy quality like Colt or S&W. Do the same with knives. If you can only afford $50 look in pawn shops or shop on line for something better. End rant.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:37   #10
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Mr Harsey's words:

"I have the design rights to the Pacific and this right has not been sold or transferred to anyone as it remains with Chris Reeve. Chris Reeve has not sold any rights to his knives."

I'd recommend, uspsmark, you're careful how you question him on this.
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 13:03   #11
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrotorhead View Post
USPSMark
"Is the original knife patented?"

Maybe not, but that isn't really the point. the point is that this knife company that is very large can't even make the effort to look at someone's work and make changes to improve it or at least make changes.
When ever possible and I can afford it I buy good quality from a US manufacturer or at least made in a friendly country.
On a little bit of a rant. Buying anything made in China when there is any option is short sighted, it damages America and is as bad as killing puppies for fun.

If you can't afford LaRue or Daniel Defense or another top tier manufacturer you can at least buy quality like Colt or S&W. Do the same with knives. If you can only afford $50 look in pawn shops or shop on line for something better. End rant.
It is very unlikely that a knife can be patented in any meaningful way, however a design can be registered and one can sue for copy write infringement or for "passing off" a product as someone else's. The big Shrade logotype would probably protect them from a passing off suite.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 13:05   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspsmark View Post
Taylor Knives is very close to where I live. I have a close, personal friend that works in their Marketing Dept. (specifically for Shrade). Is the original knife patented? If so, I'd like to let my friend know. I do know that Taylor only bought the Schrade name, no tooling, plans, etc. I have several prototype knives of theirs. If it comes down to it, I'll boycott them as well.
http://chrisreeve.com/#Pacific

Why don't you ask him if he has seen this, and why the Taylor knife is using so much of another designer's intellectual property?

Their conduct and theft of intellectual property is reprehensible, even if it is not technically illegal.

Frankly, the fact that the CRK Pacific is made in the USA and the Taylor is from Taiwan is a pretty big clue to me.

Count me in on the boycott, and let's get that word out to every military website out there. Maybe a hit to the wallet will change their minds.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 13:37   #13
uspsmark
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
http://chrisreeve.com/#Pacific

Why don't you ask him if he has seen this, and why the Taylor knife is using so much of another designer's intellectual property?

Their conduct and theft of intellectual property is reprehensible, even if it is not technically illegal.

Frankly, the fact that the CRK Pacific is made in the USA and the Taylor is from Taiwan is a pretty big clue to me.

Count me in on the boycott, and let's get that word out to every military website out there. Maybe a hit to the wallet will change their minds.

TR
TR and the rest that have commented,

I only asked about the patent to see if that was a possible legal avenue that Mr. Harsey and Mr. Reeve could undertake. I agree that it is pretty low down and shameful to take another person's or company's design and throw your big logo on it and call it "your own". I certainly am a fan of Mr. Harsey and Mr. Reeve's edged weapons (which I found out about from this site), and their support of our Special Forces soldiers. I'm sure that I can do little to affect Shrade's business and manufacturing process, but I am going to voice my disapproval to them and to my friend that works there in a fairly high position in the company. I have some of their old line that was US made, but I don't support copying something that was designed by another and passing it off as your "own design". The fact that it is made in China/Taiwan doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that intellectual and artistic property was stolen. I, like the rest of you , would love to buy only American made items, but we know that's not always possible. One voice can become many, and I agree that we should boycott the company for what has transpired.
Old 08-23-2013, 13:47   #14
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
It is very unlikely that a knife can be patented in any meaningful way, however a design can be registered and one can sue for copy write infringement or for "passing off" a product as someone else's. The big Shrade logotype would probably protect them from a passing off suite.
In the States, knifemakers can take such claims to court, when their designs are registered. It rarely goes that far, though, as those accused of infringement typically concede to the designer, when contacted by an attorney.

However this turns out, though, it doesn't change the fact that Bill's design was stolen. Taylor will get none of my money, and I'm going to continue to spread word of this, so long as it's okay with Bill.
Old 08-23-2013, 13:56   #15
uspsmark
BANNED USER

I just sent Schrade a message with links to both designs, asking them point blank if they copied the Chris Reeve design. Posted it on their Twitter account as well. Only way they can remove the comment is to block me, and if that happens then it's on with them for sure.

Last edited by uspsmark; 08-23-2013 at 14:04.