Old 03-14-2005, 18:43   #1
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Glock 21 .45 Cal.

I see a lot of discussion on various 1911 types of .45s. I was wondering how many here carried or used the Glock 21. Also, for those who do what they think about the pistol?

In my case, just before I retired as an LEO, the FBI chose a 10 MM S&W, which made me decide to purchase a Glock 20 in 10 MM while I could still get the police price. I like it, but haven't really used it that much. I put night sights on it right away. Now, I'm thinking about buying conversions barrels in .40 and .357 caliber for it. The .40 because practice ammo is cheaper.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 18:55   #2
GackMan
Guerrilla

I carry a Glock 21 and a Glock 30 as my back-up.

I love it. It is a very thick grip, not suitable for all shooters. But I have size XL meaty paws so it actually feels very good to me.

There has been some discussion about the design of the 21 in .45 and case support issues in the chamber. Personally, I have had no problems.

Portland Police Bureau DXed all their 21s about a year ago after 2 Kabooms on the range in a week. Having discussed it with a couple people closer to the issue, it makes no sense. PPB has been using the Model 21 for 12 years with no problems reported and then 2 in a week... I'm sure the problem was with the gun, not the ammo or anything like that
Old 03-14-2005, 19:19   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The G21 has a large unsupported area of the chamber and is marginal with high pressure loads.

APLP uses a KKM barrel for their .45 loads in the Glocks.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 22:12   #4
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Trip Wire,

I carried a Glock 21 for about 2 years. It's a Glock in .45 acp, not much more to say.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 23:06   #5
GackMan
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The G21 has a large unsupported area of the chamber and is marginal with high pressure loads.

APLP uses a KKM barrel for their .45 loads in the Glocks.

TR
Do the KKM fully supported barrels have feed problems due to the angle of the ramp at all?

.45 ACP and High Pressure in the same sentance? blasphemer...
Old 03-15-2005, 08:13   #6
bberkley
Guerrilla

I got into a little bit of heated discussion with Dean Spier over the PPB's Glock 21 problems. That being said, I have one for personal defense, and sometimes use it for USPSA Limited 10, and GSSF matches. Pretty much all the Glocks larger than 9mm have less support at the 6 o'clock position. There are plenty of documented instances where the pistol has gone boom instead of bang, and about all that I have read of have been ammo-related. Either some fool not too attached to his fingers wildcats his reloads, defective factory ammo, or poor quality control in reloads with accidental double charges or not enough crimp leading to bullet setback when it hits the feedramp. Many auto-loading pistols do not have a fully supported chamber, aftermarket barrels have more support, and therefore are recommended if you plan on reloading because it will not stress the brass as much. Excessive cold-working of the brass to remove the "Glock bulge" will lead to premature case failure.
Old 03-16-2005, 14:36   #7
rowdy
Asset

My wifes Glock 21

My wife has been using a Glock 21 for about 3 years now and will have nothing else. She always shoots 2 handed and the extra large grip allows a firm hold which accomadates her 2 smallish hands.
The .45 is the only round she considers a reliable man stopper in an autoloading pistol based on FBI data and some personal experience.
I don't argue with her. I have to sleep sometime.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 18:25   #8
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy
My wife has been using a Glock 21 for about 3 years now and will have nothing else. She always shoots 2 handed and the extra large grip allows a firm hold which accomadates her 2 smallish hands.
The .45 is the only round she considers a reliable man stopper in an autoloading pistol based on FBI data and some personal experience.
I don't argue with her. I have to sleep sometime.
LOL! Is your wife an LEO? I do like the .45 round myself and don't have a G-21. I do carry a G-27 in .40 Cal S&W because it is easier to conceal, yet has more rounds then some and good reports in LEO circles, as a man-stopper for a pistol. My other Glock is a G 20 in 10 MM.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Old 03-16-2005, 21:02   #9
DennyL
Asset

Glock single stack

I was in the police store the other day and the Glock rep for my area was there I am a big fan of the 45 ACP and told him I normally carry my Glock 19 off duty because it hold lots of rounds and all. He said that in the near future Glock is coming out with a single stack 45 to compete with the 1911. I asked if he was talking about the 37 in 45 GAP Nope a true 45 ACP single stack. He said look at the 36 and add length to the frame...... Hum
Old 03-16-2005, 21:08   #10
GackMan
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL
a true 45 ACP single stack. He said look at the 36 and add length to the frame.
I WILL BUY ONE!!

better not be fucking around denny.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:45   #11
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL
I was in the police store the other day and the Glock rep for my area was there I am a big fan of the 45 ACP and told him I normally carry my Glock 19 off duty because it hold lots of rounds and all. He said that in the near future Glock is coming out with a single stack 45 to compete with the 1911. I asked if he was talking about the 37 in 45 GAP Nope a true 45 ACP single stack. He said look at the 36 and add length to the frame...... Hum

Our Glock Rep said something very similar about a year ago. He then showed us a Glock video aimed at sales people that was made in like 1997 or 98 and they talked abouta carbine that they were working on and would have out shortly. So for all you single stack fiends, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

But hey, I've been wrong before

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52   #12
rowdy
Asset

No, the wife is not an LEO. Just a PFC in the Guard with an attitude.
After being married to me for 11 years, she developed one hell of an attitude. Her other weapon is a Bushmaster flattop with an EOtech.
She has an American Arms .32 she carries concealed sometimes but she says that is to prove she has a sense of humor. Anybody worth shooting once is worth shooting twice.
Prayers are always appreciated.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:35   #13
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
After being married to me for 11 years, she developed one hell of an attitude. Her other weapon is a Bushmaster flattop with an EOtech.
She has an American Arms .32 she carries concealed sometimes but she says that is to prove she has a sense of humor. Anybody worth shooting once is worth shooting twice.

Yup, your screwed.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 13:52   #14
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Wow!

I'll say a prayer for ya!

Old 03-20-2005, 16:26   #15
DennyL
Asset

Seriously

Gackman

I swear thats what he said. I told him I would be more than happy to T&E it for him and I would supply the ammo. When we discussing this I told him they would sell like hotcakes. I have an officer on my shift that uses a Glock 21 and its a handful for me and I am not small.

Glock has been fairly good about listening to their customers and I feel that this is the next step for them. I will be going back this week and I will check again.