Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 08-16-2018, 16:53   #1
TWITCHY
Guerrilla

Was Adm. McRaven Always “Weird”?

Did Adm. McRaven’s time in Austin make him a “weird”, Trump-hating liberal or was he always that way? Forgive me for the source.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/polit...oke/index.html
TWITCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 17:24   #2
Paslode
Area Commander

The only question that came to mind with McRaven, Brennan or whomever was entitled to top secret clearance, is why would they need the clearance if they are retired and/or no longer employed by the US Government.
Old 08-16-2018, 17:47   #3
Joker
Quiet Professional

I have had several interactions with him, different command relationships. In my opinion, he was, and is, an entitled whiney bitch. He, nor anyone (me included) should not possess a security clearance at any level after they retire from the job that requires it.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 18:12   #4
TWITCHY
Guerrilla

Thanks, for the replies. My additional question (as I have never held clearance) Do Soldiers, Marines, etc. keep their clearances after active duty? Also, Intel is distributed on a need to know basis (correct?), so what would be the reason for ex-CIA Chief or whoever to be read-in on intel. I think it’s as Trump said , a common courtesy, which provides these people with a future means of getting rich.
TWITCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 19:07   #5
Joker
Quiet Professional

Most folks do not keep their clearance when they leave the “need to know” position unless they are going to another “need to know” position.

The reason some high ranking folks keep theirs is they come back to advise the folks that replaced them.

None of these assclowns will be asked to come back and advise this cabinet. C-ya! (as in good bye)
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 19:40   #6
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

Quote:
"Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency," he added.
This right here, just another virtue signaler. Guarantee he doesn't mean this and desperately wants to retain it. It would so be of Trump and a great troll if he actually revokes his cleance.

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 20:21   #7
cbtengr
Area Commander

He is obviously a green water sailor (the Swamp). I hope his wish is granted.
Old 08-16-2018, 21:58   #8
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Not sure how far this got and really don't care now:
https://taskandpurpose.com/meet-admi...ice-president/

Since it's challenging to quantify the left's relevant accomplishments they at least have to posture.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 22:16   #9
abc_123
Quiet Professional

"We respect ADM McRaven's service to this nation, and would otherwise see no reason to revoke his clearance at this time. However in deference to his wishes we have revoked his clearance. We wish him the best.

Going forward we will be conducting a review of current policy and de facto practice of allowing retired government officials to maintain their prior security clearance. "
Old 08-17-2018, 04:00   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
This right here, just another virtue signaler. Guarantee he doesn't mean this and desperately wants to retain it. It would so be of Trump and a great troll if he actually revokes his cleance.
That right there (in my time anyway) would have prevented him ever having one. Not an issue of allowing military to form their own political opinions; but active disdain for your sitting CinC should mean "B'bye bitch."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:02   #11
rsdengler
Area Commander

Why would McRaven or any others who are no longer in that position think they have special privileges? Stop whining Mrs. McRaven; you already retired, and Brennan is out, they don't have that nice job any longer. So they no longer need to have a top secret clearance. When I left the Air Force, my secret clearance was kaput.

Unless, as Joker stated you are going to another position that requires that you need a secret clearance. Why come out and make a statement like that and expose yourself to scrutiny? Is it political ambition? Too much self-importance? Or is it your discontent/dislike of the current Administration? Or, is it showing that you really side with the Left and always have.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 08-17-2018 at 06:46.
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:58   #12
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
Not sure how far this got and really don't care now:
https://taskandpurpose.com/meet-admi...ice-president/

Since it's challenging to quantify the left's relevant accomplishments they at least have to posture.
When McRaven stated his position, first thought was alignment with Brennan was a pay back, and he has future political ambitions.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25   #13
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Why would you open your pie hole and walk yourself into a well laid ambush killzone?

A R R O G A N C E

Someone needs to read the drivel, they themselves wrote.....
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper

Last edited by miclo18d; 08-17-2018 at 06:28.
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25   #14
JimP
Quiet Professional

My experience is as Jokers. Although he did a better job at keeping his political affiliation quieter than did Lord Stanley, both were leftists. They didn't have a problem with killing Muj, but were lefties.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:15   #15
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Most folks do not keep their clearance when they leave the “need to know” position unless they are going to another “need to know” position.
From my experience, most clearances are not actively revoked when people leave the position requiring it. Rather, they lose access to he systems and information but the DIA does not spend manpower to close or revoke a clearance.

With TS being reverified every 5 years and Secret every 10, once the investigation is completed and the clearance granted, no further action is required unless disqualifying information is disclosed.

The media inference that person that leaves a position requiring access classified information may retain access to those systems after leaving that position is false and a mischaracterization of how it actually works.

When they retire, they turn in the CAC and the SIPR access gets turned off but the Clearance remains on active until it expires.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote