Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-31-2004, 19:10   #1
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Chest rigs, RACKS ets etc

I had asked this question in the Ranger forum on SOCNET and recieved no responses, so I figured I would give the question a shot here. I recently purchased a RACK for my trip to the sandbox. I think it is a great kit. My question is, can it be jumped ? How would you rig it? Does USASOC have instructions in thier ASOP? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, I wanted to thank BMT for the invite to this message board.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 19:24   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

PBR:

I dont have any advice for you on the Rack issue. However, I would like to welcome you here.

JD

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 21:46   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I would say to rig it under the harness like we have done with LBE and vests for years, or put it in your ruck.

Why would a vest or chest carrier need a different rigging SOP, unless it interfered with donning, JMPI, or deployment of the rig?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 22:49   #4
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Reaper,
The reason I ask is that I am looking for official documentation that shows it is safe to jump. i.e. the ASOP for the 75th Ranger Regt or USASOC. I am in the 82nd and Im sure you know how things are down on the other end of Ardennes LOL.

Surgicalcric,
thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-01-2004, 00:00   #5
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

IIRC there is info including pictures on jumping the RACK and FSBE on the 82d's Advanced Airborne School webpage.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:24   #6
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
IIRC there is info including pictures on jumping the RACK and FSBE on the 82d's Advanced Airborne School webpage.
Thanks, Ill check that out. I know we jump the FLC with the IBA, that together with the ACH is the newest things I've seen.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:49   #7
37F5V
Guerrilla

MOD 1950

I always jumped my kit in a MOD 1950.... Worked out quite well...

JT
Old 02-07-2004, 10:43   #8
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Glad to see ya made it over here T. I was tired of being the token Py Sops guy
Old 02-09-2004, 00:23   #9
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

RACK jumping:

Stock one piece? toss it in your 1950. it's the best place for it.

Tac-Tailor split rig RACK thingy? Split it in front and wear it like B-7 floatation devices underneath your arms. Keep the back portion secured. That way if you end up doing a water landing you can still get out of it when you arch your back. It'll also make it easier when you derig out of your harness.

I am not sure about the USASOC ASOP, I can see about giving you a page number to where its covered in ours, if you can get ahold of one.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 16:19   #10
tracer
Asset

jumping the rack

Alright, I know I am well over a year late on this, but more for anyone who looks here later. A two piece rack that splits down the center, yes, easy to rig the straps over it. Then when land, crawl out of all of it, and yank the rack out from the bottom of the straps and don. For a one piece system, 1950 is a good place. But if your rack is too full, put it in your kitbag before you connect your leg straps. When you put the rack in the center of the kitbag, you can still fold it into 3rds. And another thing this will do is keep the leg straps from pinching anything "sensitive". The kitbag pulls the leg straps away from your abdomen just enough so an hard opening shock won't have the effect that it would if the kitbag was flat. Not SOP at the time, but JM said it was allowed and others cought on.
tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 22:26   #11
ZGallegos

Deleted by User

Last edited by ZGallegos; 07-20-2009 at 19:48.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:43   #12
HALO99
FTFSI

jumping Chest rigs

from a personal experience, i have jumped (MFF) loaded chest rigs to include a SAPI plate behind it no prob. i wear the chest rig under the MC-4. opening shock at terminal velocity didnt show any problem at all. a bit constricting to breathe especially during the long waits prior to the jump, but tolerable. just suck it up. mind over matter. if you dont mind it, it doesnt matter. may you have soft openings and soft landings.
HALO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:59   #13
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Holy necropost Batman...

You may want to re/read that welcome letter you received. It seems that in your fervor to post you missed a step. Correct it prior to posting further.

Welcome to PS.com.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:31   #14
HALO99
FTFSI

wilco. my apologies.
HALO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 17:07   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

My wife has a rather nice 'rack' and she prefers Soma 'chest rigs' - however, YMMV.

http://www.soma.com/store/home.jsp

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote