Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 07-15-2012, 14:48   #16
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
That was a long time ago and many have written about the adventure.

Problem is the truth is hard to come by,, sometimes...

Who wants a T-shirt???
JJ

Now that's more like it............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34   #17
TiroFijo
Asset

This is the cuban CIA operative that was involved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9...ldier)#Bolivia

In one recent CNN interview he told the bolivian government wanted Guevara's beheaded to prove his death, and he had to convince them to cut the hands instead.
TiroFijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:35   #18
Inflexible Six
Guerrilla

I lost a few hours of my life reading this dirtbag's book on guerrilla warfare BITD when he was supposed to be an innovator of foquismo and got little out of it. Mao was a little better. I got more irregular warfare doctrine out of Rifleman Dodd. Hell, I got more out of The Magnificant Seven.

Che's picture and National Liberation Front (Vietcong) flags were a common sight on college campuses and anti-war demonstrations back in the 70's. It's dismaying to see him making a comeback.

Some people need to be dug up and killed again.

Last edited by Inflexible Six; 08-18-2012 at 12:41.
Inflexible Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 15:21   #19
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflexible Six View Post
I lost a few hours of my life reading this dirtbag's book on guerrilla warfare BITD when he was supposed to be an innovator of foquismo and got little out of it. Mao was a little better. I got more irregular warfare doctrine out of Rifleman Dodd. Hell, I got more out of The Magnificant Seven.

Che's picture and National Liberation Front (Vietcong) flags were a common sight on college campuses and anti-war demonstrations back in the 70's. It's dismaying to see him making a comeback.

Some people need to be dug up and killed again.
I think Che proves that a dead martyr is preferable to a live terrorist. He tried his luck in Africa, but couldnt take the hardship or the apathy for his leftist bullshit.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28   #20
tonyz
Area Commander

Re-branding Guevara: Che the Butcher

Violent hatred is not something to emulate — or wear on a T-shirt.

John Fund
NRO
SEPTEMBER 17, 2012 4:00 A.M.

The stern photo of revolutionary Che Guevara taken by Alberto Korda in 1960 is one of the most reproduced images on the planet, appearing on posters, flags, postcards, T-shirts, and even bikinis. Sadly, the ubiquitous appearances of Che — hailed today usually by his first name only — demonstrate the near-total failure to educate people about the blood-soaked cruelty he really represented.

But there are, thankfully, some limits to the use of Che’s famous image — if people complain. A recent e-mail sent by the Environmental Protection Agency to mark Hispanic Heritage Month included Korda’s image of Che along with the slogan “Hasta la victoria siempre,” or “On to victory, always.” After facing criticism, the EPA said the e-mail had been “drafted and sent by an individual employee, and without official clearance.”

Nonetheless, it’s unsettling to see Che’s image appropriated by a government agency that has a notorious reputation for violating property rights and imposing arbitrary controls on growth. Just last March, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled that an Idaho couple seeking to build on their land had their rights violated when the EPA imposed fines of $75,000 a day without giving the couple the ability to challenge its rulings.

Also this year, the EPA regional administrator Al Armendariz was forced to resign after he described his enforcement philosophy in a public speech: “Find people who are not complying with the law and you hit them as hard as you can and make examples of them.” He compared the tactic to that used by ancient Roman soldiers: “The Romans used to conquer little villages in the Mediterranean. They’d go into a little Turkish town somewhere, they’d find the first five guys they saw, and they would crucify them. And then you know that town was really easy to manage for the next few years.”

That sounds a lot like how Che operated. After Fidel Castro seized power in 1959, Che was instrumental in setting up forced-labor camps for dissidents, gays, and devout Catholics. He was put in charge of La Cabaña Fortress prison for five months. There are varying accounts of how many people were executed under his command during that time, and how many deaths are attributed directly to Che as opposed to the regime overall, but some sources say that more than 100 journalists, businessmen, and followers of the previous regime faced death by firing squad at La Cabaña, under Che’s jurisdiction.

Violence was at the core of Che’s philosophy. Shortly before his death at the hands of Bolivian troops in 1967, he wrote “Message to the Tricontinental.” In this essay he advocated the effective use of violent hatred:

Hatred as an element of the struggle; a relentless hatred of the enemy, impelling us over and beyond the natural limitations that man is heir to and transforming him into an effective, violent, selective, and cold killing machine. Our soldiers must be thus; a people without hatred cannot vanquish a brutal enemy.*

A decade earlier, when he murdered Eutimio Guerra, he recorded in his diary: “I ended the problem with a .32 caliber pistol, in the right side of his brain....His belongings were now mine.”

Nor was Che’s violence directed only against Cubans. Author Humberto Fontova points to evidence that Guevara, the chief instigator of Castro’s revolutionary efforts overseas, was involved in a November 1962 terrorist plot to use 1,200 pounds of TNT to blow up Macy’s, Gimbels, Bloomingdale’s, and Grand Central Station on the day after Thanksgiving, the busiest shopping day of the year. Such an act could have rivaled 9/11 in its destruction. This is hardly a man who deserves to be honored as a hero on T-shirts.

The Obama administration deserves credit for distancing itself from the EPA’s flirtation with Che. But Obama acolytes haven’t always been so sensible. During the 2008 campaign, a Houston TV station taped the inside of an Obama get-out-the-vote office that featured a large Cuban flag on the wall, with the image of Che stamped onto it.

The spokeswoman for the Obama office who sat down with the TV station for an interview repeatedly called questions about the Cuban flag “a distraction” and a “waste of time” and said, “I don’t have time to talk about the Cuban flag.” Or Che, for that matter.

But it’s time we start to talk about Che. He may have died 45 years ago, but his pernicious philosophy is still very much under debate in Latin America. On the one hand, even liberals such as Rory Carroll, the Latin American correspondent for theGuardian*in Britain, acknowledge that the Cuban model would have been a “debacle” if exported to other countries. “To challenge the U.S. empire, Che dreamed of creating ‘many Vietnams,’ not least in his Argentine homeland,” Carroll wrote. “Who today can seriously wish he had succeeded?...Who needs Che?”

But while overt Communism isn’t on the march in Latin America, Che-style thinking is ascendant in the anti-American authoritarians who today rule Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Nicaragua. Che is much more than an image on a T-shirt to leaders in those countries: He is an inspiration on how to seize and maintain power. It’s for that reason that we should push back whenever and wherever Che’s image surfaces. If people wore T-shirts with images of Nazi butchers, most of us wouldn’t let them pass by without comment. The same should be the case with Che, whether his image shows up on college campuses or in EPA e-mails.

— John Fund is national-affairs columnist for NRO.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...her-john-fund#

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33   #21
Badger52
Area Commander

Thanks for the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
But it’s time we start to talk about Che. He may have died 45 years ago, but his pernicious philosophy is still very much under debate in Latin America.

...But while overt Communism isn’t on the march in Latin America, Che-style thinking is ascendant in the anti-American authoritarians who today rule Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Nicaragua.

— John Fund is national-affairs columnist for NRO.
The aforementioned authoritarians should be reminded that the POS under discussion didn't 'die' - he was most deservedly hunted down & terminated.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47   #22
Geenie
Guerrilla

Who preceded Castro in Power?

And was that person any less brutal and ruthless than Che?
Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05   #23
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
Ya got that Che tee shirt, huh?

Batista...

It seems that there is no shortage of brutality in this world - the truth - now that might be another matter.

Perhaps, an article on Batista is in your future? That might be a good read, too. Until then, f$&k Che.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old 09-18-2012, 14:15   #24
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
If Che's predecessor was just as brutal and ruthless as Che was, does that lessen the ruthlessness and brutality of Che?

Here's a parallel; a man murders and rapes women, one of which he only rapes and impregnates. That woman bears a son, who grows up to be just like his dad.
Are you implying that the son is any less guilty than his father?
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 16:23   #25
Geenie
Guerrilla

interesting parallel....

I was not trying to imply that two wrongs make a right. In any case, however, I know way too little about this topic to get into a historical debate and will keep my mouth shut accordingly.

I suppose I just found myself wondering whether Che would be equally disliked on this forum if he had been fighting for capitalism instead of communism.

Perhaps that old adage of "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" rings true here as well?!
Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 16:53   #26
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
I suppose I just found myself wondering whether Che would be equally disliked on this forum if he had been fighting for capitalism instead of communism.

Perhaps that old adage of "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" rings true here as well?!
Those striving for capitalism tend not to murder off their human capital in great big bleeding numbers. You may need to study further to make the distinction between someone who truly understands and values the support of the populace they're ostensibly championing, as well as those who may simply be neutral on a position, versus simply eliminating them when they're having a bad day. An extended cruise through this forum will provide plenty of solid references to further that study, and lead to other trails as well. I'm talking of things done by those for whom it isn't just cliched theory, or some worn out quote from a pundit.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 17:25   #27
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
I was not trying to imply that two wrongs make a right. In any case, however, I know way too little about this topic to get into a historical debate and will keep my mouth shut accordingly.

Geenie, no historical debate intended by me.

Perhaps you could humor me - read your own question above out loud - and for simplicity sake - substitute the words "good" for capitalism and "evil" for communism and let me know what your answer to your own question is.

Admittedly, the world is not so cut and dry - but it may help provide some perspective on my feelings for Che and those who would advance similar revolutionary movements in opposition to our economic and political system. Moreover, a romantic notion of Che as revolutionary might unravel a bit as one reads a bit more on the subject. YMMV.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old 09-18-2012, 19:15   #28
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Geenie, no historical debate intended by me.

Perhaps you could humor me - read your own question above out loud - and for simplicity sake - substitute the words "good" for capitalism and "evil" for communism and let me know what your answer to your own question is.

Admittedly, the world is not so cut and dry - but it may help provide some perspective on my feelings for Che and those who would advance similar revolutionary movements in opposition to our economic and political system. Moreover, a romantic notion of Che as revolutionary might unravel a bit as one reads a bit more on the subject. YMMV.
Very well put! The world has suffered no shortages of despots for as long as I can remember. Romantic notion of Che? He's right there with Pol Pot, Stalin, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:38   #29
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I lived in Miami in the late 60's and hung out with lots of Cubanos on Calle Ocho when it was still 8th Street! I don't remember ANY Batista tee shirts!