Old 07-09-2019, 19:48   #1
sapinid
Asset

blankets

for those of you that have worked in the jungle, where it can be kind of cold at night, what sort of blanket do you use? I have always used a flannel sheet, but doesn't pack down very good. my son is 1st group, Okinawa, to tell you about me
sapinid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29   #2
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

The Army issue poncho liner (Woobie!) is the greatest invention ever. I've used it in the jungle, the desert, the forest, the mountains, the swamp, pretty much every environment. If it wasn't cold enough for a sleeping bag or the mission requirement meant packing lighter, the poncho liner was the key. Also, if you need a little more protection than the poncho liner alone, you can wrap the poncho around as an outside layer and it works just as well as the medium sleeping bag.

I've been out for 6 years and there is still a poncho liner within arms reach of the bed and one in the go bag.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 16:02   #3
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Poncho Liner.

Light weight and dries fast; Does the job.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I still have the two I used in Nam 1970.
Now saved for the G-Kids

I slept in an NVA canvas hammock, one over, the other under.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 07-11-2019 at 05:54.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 20:09   #5
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Good insight:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/taskand...r-fielded/amp/

Remarkable how long the US Poncho and Poncho Liner have been in service with little change other than materials. These are pieces for dirt, mud, rain, snow and wind this and some moca pulled out of the ruck for a few hours during the dark of night...bad weather, heavy loads begins to put the pieces into perspective.

You mentioned jungle, a challenging environment to be a foot in. Higher rain fall and humidity with greater frequency, storms, stagnant air circulation, heavy dew, wet ground, mud, elevation changes are some of the environmental concerns. Besides warmth, I think moisture and wetness are big factors in comfort and health.

Sacrilege, I known but materials have changed, light weight insulation today can absorb far less moisture due to very hydrophobic materials, the micro filaments along with structure and construction can create clo ratings nearly as warm when wet. Resistances within the “blanket” when differed can vector moisture out and away efficiently, protect exterior to a greater extent and maintain the breath ability we associate with comfort. Now that same system with a warm body inside is protecting you from the environments ( potentially hot weather as well) and drying you, your equipment and mind out more effectively.

MOO

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 20:25   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
MOO
Well, your opinion is pretty good. The similar item of yours that you showed me was about as light as a tissue but I imagine it was at least the equal of a PL in comfort.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 19:50   #7
Golf1echo
Area Commander

PSM hope you and yours are well! I remember that, 1,750,000 of us invaded Wyoming................and all of us drove separate cars

I can assure you that liner has held up better than the vehicle

To answer, the 4oz Primaloft Gold is about 4 times thicker than the polyester insulation inside the issued liner. Gold aka Fusion was codeveloped with the military, It wicks more efficiently than the insulation inside the issued liner as the development concept was that it be as light as down but mitigate moisture issues... it comes close in the weight and far exceeds its ability to insulate when wet...as many here know.

I fondly remember the issue system and recently packed a stash BOB (Alice) with all the original kit I had been issued... even a uniform from basic/AIT circa Late 80s .... but there was still room for our liner and Shell.

Stay cool down there!

Essayons

By Dand

Old 07-18-2019, 08:47   #8
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I still have my woobie(s). Usually, two sewn together for an all-season sleep kit. And as you all will recall, I ventured into the woobie smoking jackets a while back. I've since moved on to my own design. No woobies were harmed or desecrated in the creation of my new concept. I use 3 separate layers to make these. This baby is currently lined with 2.5 oz APEX Climashield. With nothing more than a T-shirt on in a snow storm last winter, it was relatively light and extremely warm. And yes, that hood is a modular attachment.

However, looking at my source for materials, they're out of APEX so I may have to look at Primaloft for future projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5457.jpg (25.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5480.jpg (23.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5483.jpg (24.2 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5484.jpg (25.0 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 07-18-2019 at 08:49.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
I still have my woobie(s). I use 3 separate layers to make these. This baby is currently lined with 2.5 oz APEX Climashield.. With nothing more than a T-shirt on in a snow storm last winter, it was relatively light and extremely warm. And yes, that hood is a modular attachment.
Awesome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5457.jpg (25.4 KB, 44 views)

Old 07-18-2019, 12:31   #10
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Quote:
I still have my woobie(s). Usually, two sewn together for an all-season sleep kit. And as you all will recall, I ventured into the woobie smoking jackets a while back. I've since moved on to my own design. No woobies were harmed or desecrated in the creation of my new concept. I use 3 separate layers to make these. This baby is currently lined with 2.5 oz APEX Climashield. With nothing more than a T-shirt on in a snow storm last winter, it was relatively light and extremely warm. And yes, that hood is a modular attachment.

However, looking at my source for materials, they're out of APEX so I may have to look at Primaloft for future projects.
Are you still building those smoking jackets? Some of the team guys I work with expressed interest for their deployments.

I’m sure your familiar with Beyond Expedition Clothing https://beyondclothing.com/
Talking with Rick I found it interesting they use both Climashield (Apex) and a primaloft insulation ( I think on their cold weather kit). We started with Climashield (Combat ) but found the Primaloft was better for what we are doing.

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 07-18-2019 at 22:05.
Old 03-17-2020, 14:00   #11
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Project Update

Gents,

After tinkering and casting spells on a number of projects in my makeshift mad scientist lab for the past 3 years, I've settled on this project to forge ahead with. I don't recall if I mentioned it before but this is my Patrol Base Lounge Jacket or PBLJ. The custom length robe version is the Vanguard. I've made at least 20 of these in a range of patterns and colors for friends, family and colleagues, with very good feedback. They aren't active apparel but have been utilized in high mountain elk hunting camps and forward deployed locations overseas as well as just relaxing around the house.

Note: I tried uploading small .jpeg images of them but I keep getting a failure message.

I'm waiting to hear back from a veteran treatment center that saw my very first prototype a couple years ago (I made it for a good friend going through there) and they had expressed interest in selling them. I have a few of the new models ready to ship out to get their unbiased feedback for the business plan. In the mean time, I'm working with a handful of advisors from the Regional BDC here in eastern Idaho to develop a plan to bring my products to market. The two big issues they're working on for me are allocating funding and outsourcing manufacturing. This design requires a lot more work than a woobie jacket and with my extremely limited workspace in addition to aggravations from the repetitive motions on my chassis damage, it takes me 5 days to build one. Except for the plastic hardware, I’ve been able to find all the materials in the US.

Considering my primary target market, I know where I want manufacturing to take place. However, a couple of successful businessmen who have spent decades in the textile industry strongly recommend going overseas in order to keep the price point down and QC up. That being said, I'm going to toss this question out there. I think I already know what the response will be but I have to ask. How many of you would be supportive/willing to purchase one of these if I settled on having them manufactured someplace over on the far side of the Pacific?
Old 03-17-2020, 14:20   #12
PSM
Area Commander

(Deleted - wrong thread)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 03-17-2020 at 14:22.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 14:35   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Gents,
How many of you would be supportive/willing to purchase one of these if I settled on having them manufactured someplace over on the far side of the Pacific?

I will support both, I would prefer "made in the USA", but understand business financials..

And I'd offer to model your 1st 4X hooded version

Old 03-17-2020, 15:22   #14
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

4X?!

Always gotta be somebody who just can’t be let it be and has to throw me a curve. I’ve got S-3X sizes. Looks like I need to extrapolate and generate another template size.

BTW: There aren’t two versions. These are modular and the hoods can be removed. Also come with their own stuff sack.

You’re going to have to PM me your shirt/blouse measurements so I can come up with the dimensions for the new template. Otherwise, can do, brother.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 03-17-2020 at 15:44.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 18:00   #15
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Your smoke jacket looks great. I have been meaning to put together a smoking cap which would be worn when chilling in my man cave. Your jacket would definately add to the "experience". Question though. Any chance you can make one using CADPAT? I will gladly provide the fabric. Let me know.
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--

Last edited by Longstreet; 04-16-2021 at 23:17.
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote