Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-04-2018, 07:25   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Can One Person’s Final Resting Place Be Another’s Civic Space

PSA
What do you think??

Personally, I like the idea of public cemeteries being opened up as public space, as opposed to dead space.

Counterwise, I also think that those wanting the traditional church space should be left alone.

Not so sure about Pay-to-Play and making them a profitable business?? quote: "The annual and day passes for dog-walking bring in about $250,000 annually"

Quote:

Can One Person’s Final Resting Place Be Another’s Civic Space? Meg Anderson. Nov 2, 2018

Anyone who lives in a city knows that green space is in high demand.

Last year, residents in the newly developed NoMa neighborhood of Northeast Washington fought hard for a dog park. A few miles in way in Northwest D.C., members of the Park View community lobbied to keep a beloved, but temporary, park from disappearing when a new development went up.

D.C. residents do already have a lot of parks — there’s Rock Creek Park and the National Mall, of course — but there’s also a more unexpected option: Tucked away in Hill East, there are 35 acres of rolling, manicured hills and groves of shady trees. On a weeknight evening or weekend morning, you’ll find joggers, neighbors pushing strollers and catching up with one another, and lots of dogs chasing each other, free from the constraints of their leashes.

“We think of it as a community center for the most part,” says Victor Romero, a longtime Hill East resident who is here most nights with his wife and dog. He’s quick to explain that it’s not actually a community center or a dog park: It’s the Congressional Cemetery, and there are nearly 70,000 people buried here, dating from 1807 onward.

https://wamu.org/story/18/11/02/fina...XkAwaIlR-xUc3g

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

I would think it would get lonely in a cemetery.

I wouldn't mind a couple of dogs running by that I could give a spirit pat to.

Or a cute yoga chick plopping down on my grave to do a work out.

Others see it different. There was a yoga class working out at the vet memorial downtown and a few residents have blown their minds over it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:53   #3
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Or a cute yoga chick plopping down on my grave to do a work out. Ditto

Others see it different. There was a yoga class working out at the vet memorial downtown and a few residents have blown their minds over it.
I agree the solitude is sadder than the death sometimes...I don't always reflect sometimes the place just bums me out with all the over respect for the dead grim faces....some of these dead people were a-holes. I always though death should be the way my mothers family still celebrate it as Swedes from ancestors.

I can understand the residents getting upset over the yoga class but I caveat that with "oh well" I suppose it depends on ones definition of disrespect....those who are there to see the memorial will still come and the yoga class will if nothing else bring attention to the vets for those who never noticed it.

I say when I die bring on the party and let life continue on hell its a box of bones for crying out loud
Old 11-04-2018, 10:08   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Did a little digg'n (SIC )

Quote:
Congressional Cemetery.

Christ Church still owns the property, which is administered by the nonprofit Association for the Preservation of Historic Congressional Cemetery.

By 1997, Congressional Cemetery had the dubious distinction of being added to the National Trust for Historic Preservation's list of the most endangered historic sites.

http://www.congressionalcemetery.org/history.asp

Old 11-04-2018, 10:47   #5
cbtengr
Area Commander

I would draw the line at off the leash activities of pets in a cemetery, I spent good money on a nice stone and the thought of Fido relieving itself on it would not please me. In a perfect world people pick up after their pets but we all know it's not a perfect world.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:27   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
I can understand the residents getting upset over the yoga class but I caveat that with "oh well" I suppose it depends on ones definition of disrespect....
We have some friends that bought property bordering a cemetery in the Palos Verde Peninsula (L.A.) because they thought it would be quiet. Nope. On the weekends families visiting their lost relatives show up with mariachi bands and have fiestas.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:56   #7
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
We have some friends that bought property bordering a cemetery in the Palos Verde Peninsula (L.A.) because they thought it would be quiet. Nope. On the weekends families visiting their lost relatives show up with mariachi bands and have fiestas.
That’s so funny you mention that. Recently I took my family down to South Padre Island for an end of summer getaway. While driving along the US border towards McAllen, I was asking my wife and son what the cultural differences are between Mexican (and Thai) and American cemeteries?

My wife commented that they were more colorful like Thailand. My son didn’t have an opinion which is fair because he hasn’t been to too many American cemeteries but we pass them all the time in big cities and rural towns.

I told them that the Mexicans much like Thai’s pay a lot more respect to their dead and visit often with colorful tributes, song and sometimes dance. Most American cemeteries are full of dead bodies long forgotten by their families after being dumped in the ground and are often dreary places (except veteran cemeteries a few times a year on Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Flag Day if someone bothers to stick flags in the ground.)

American cemeteries are large wastes of space IMO so if the locals want to open them up as “green space” I’d have to support that. Have rules and enforce them, teach people to respect the place and the people who are buried there. Might have a positive effect - who knows?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 13:00   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
On the weekends families visiting their lost relatives show up with mariachi bands and have fiestas.

There are movies

The Book of Life

https://www.*******.com/watch?v=NBw5YScs8iQ

and Disney/Pixar's COCO

https://www.*******.com/watch?v=Ga6RYejo6Hk

The Mexican Christian view of death is UNIQUE. and I like it.

To be sad and happy for a lost love-one.

Old 11-04-2018, 15:54   #9
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Pete, Pete, Pete, tsk, tsk... Dirty old man you are... However, yeah....I could go for that...lolol
Old 11-05-2018, 07:26   #10
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
LOL...You guys are all the same...HA...but Yeah, I wouldn't mind some cute yoga GUY doing some meditation on mine either... But I have no intentions on being buried...I rather do the "Ashes to Ashes" thing...and be sprinkled over the mountains.....who knows.

Hey, we used to run around the grave yards as kids and say hello to everyone. But I always had this thing about not stepping on the grave site, I always stepped to the side. As long as you show respect for those who are buried there, then I think it's fine. They might enjoy the company....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote