Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Spain Arrests 7 Linked to Al Qaeda

I had an experience with identity theft from a trip to Barcelona when I went to run with the bulls in Pamplona - it's a problem there. Now when I travel overseas, I get a new credit card from my bank to use only for the trip and then cancel it immediately upon my return home.

And so it goes...

Richard

Spain Arrests 7 Linked to Al Qaeda
NYT, 1 Dec 2010

Police arrested seven people in Spain and three in Thailand in an international operation against a group suspected of forging passports for an al-Qaida-linked Islamic terrorist group, the Spanish Interior Ministry said Wednesday.

The detainees formed part of a group based in Thailand and linked to Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Pakistan-based terror group blamed for the 2008 Mumbai, India, attacks that killed 166 people, the ministry said in a statement.

The arrests in Spain took place late Tuesday and early Wednesday in the northeastern city of Barcelona, the ministry said.

The detainees included six Pakistanis and one Nigerian. The ministry said the group stole passports, mostly from tourists in the Barcelona area, and sent them to Thailand to be doctored and later distributed to groups linked to al-Qaida.

The ministry said the passports allowed members of the terror groups to enter European and other countries.

The group was run by one of the three people — two Pakistanis and one Thai citizen — arrested in Thailand.

The statement said that in the Spanish raids police seized passports ready to be sent to Thailand, computer and mobile telephone equipment.

The ministry said the group had also supplied forged documents to other groups, including the Tamil Tiger rebels who were crushed last year by Sri Lankan troops after a quarter-century war for an independent state for ethnic minority Tamils.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...Terrorism.html
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote