Old 03-06-2010, 14:31   #1
plato
Guerrilla

1st Group 1973

Considering that the picture is about 36 years old, according to FOG Math, I'm uploading this pic of the SAFASIA Headquarters crew, with the belief that there's no OPSEC problem.

I imagine many of the old-timers remember them. If anyone needs a higher-resolution photo, I'll be glad to furnish same if you'll send me an email address.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Downsized 1st Group.jpg (121.8 KB, 331 views)
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15   #2
CSB
Quiet Professional

Great photograph.

And now the young pups can see what a "striker bar" "recognition bar" "candy stripe" looked like, as opposed to the "full flash."

Last edited by CSB; 03-07-2010 at 22:17.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 15:14   #3
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Candy Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Great photograph.

And now the young pups can see what a "stricker bar" "recognition bar" "candy stripe" looked like, as opposed to the "full flash."
I noticed the CPT 3rd from bottom left. Also, on that same front row is another officer to the right. He is either a 1LT or CPT. Kinda hard to make the number of bars out?

Both are wearing the candy bar.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 17:20   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional

HQs always had lots of candy stripers - drivers, staffers, intell types, photogs, clerks, etc.

One exception was in Thailand - all wore full flashes - I thought the entire unit was S qualified - then we closed out, returned to Bragg, and most reassigned to either the 5th, 7th, or USAJFKCENMA - couldn't believe it when all those guys hanging around Lop Buri were now wearing a candy stripe and were not S qualified after all.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14   #5
keeper36
Asset

I was there!

Great picture. I was in Oki '72-'74. SAFASIA was actually considered those support units down south at Camp Chinen. We had an Engr Det, an MI Bn HQ, an ASA Det, a Civil Affairs Bn, and some riggers. Great little secret. Former CIA compound, complete with a theater, swimming pool, and 9-hole golf course.

I think this picture must have been made outside Group HQ. The only trooper I recognize is the Group Cdr, Col John Geraci -- front row, 6th from the right. His beret never did fit right. Called himself "Mal Hombre." I have vivid mental images of him sitting at the bar at the Officer's Club swapping shots of vodka with Martha Raye.

Later that year, Geraci left and Elliot Sydnor took over. He surrounded himself with staffers from Son Tay, including Dick Meadows (S-3) and CSM Kittleson. Now THAT was a colorful bunch.

Much thanks to the one posting this picture. I should look for some of my own.
keeper36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:28   #6
Lasalle
Asset

great Memories

I was attached to 1st Civil Affairs from Feb to Aug 1974 waiting to deactivate before retuning to the world, not sure when photo was taken but brings back many memories. Am going to dig through old albums in storage to find photos to post. Yes I was a candy stripe.
Lasalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:22   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
I was attached to 1st Civil Affairs from Feb to Aug 1974 waiting to deactivate before retuning to the world, not sure when photo was taken but brings back many memories. Am going to dig through old albums in storage to find photos to post. Yes I was a candy stripe.
That would be great but 1st follow our rules and post your intro in the appropriate thread as directed I your welcome message. Then read all the different stickies.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote