Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 01-31-2006, 18:12   #16
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Like they say in the ads "don`t pay for 2 years."
A note: here in the Canadian Military, to lie or ''forget'' to say medical informations can lead to the lost of a disability pension. I've seen somebody being posted at Saint-Toton-des-Reculés (=nickname for a lost canadian base in the middle of nowhere), because after a few years they found he lied about his medical past: he was remustered in another trade (which he didnt decide) and another base (didnt decide either).
Old 02-01-2006, 15:54   #17
Nuke
SF Candidate

Good Reading

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...statements.htm

Here is a VERY GOOD writeup about this subject. I just hope I don't get some idiot at MEPS that just disqualifies me because I do the right thing. That will just prove them right. I did pull my hamstring pretty good but I'm good to go now. It's been over 2 years and I haven't had any problems. I run, ruck, and swim all the time so I think I'm gtg. We'll see next Friday I guess.

Look at it this way. If I do hurt it again I'm already having a bad day. A court martial would not be a nice addition to it.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 16:08   #18
jatx
Area Commander

Great link, Nuke. Good luck and don't worry about it too much. Worst case scenario is you come back here in a couple of months and tell all the other hopefuls how you went about getting your med waiver.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 17:14   #19
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

I was a Recruiter. I was drafted, kicking and screaming in 1984. It put a hold on my SF packet which was submitted at the time...and that is a whole different story, but bottom line is I survived USARECtum...as we lovingly called the command. I survived, made it into SF (after being sidebarred to Desert Storm).....like I said, another story, best told over several beers and shots of JD or Slivovitz.

Back to the young man's question. Much has been in the press recently about how "suddenly" recruiters are having trouble making mission (their "quota's" as the press puts it). Lemme let you in on a little secret.....makin mission has always been difficult. I was shot at in the station one night with a pellet gun, the same week we bombed Libya. The pressure to make mission is enormous. From talkin to the local recruiters in my town, it seems the majority are no longer command selected (the nice way of sayin"cm'ere mo f%$#er....you're a Recruiter now!!) so these are guys wanting an easier way, and probably have no intention of headin back downrange. They have no expectations of ever serving withany of their applicants in the future.Surely there are some ethical Recruiters, many I am sure....but as in anything....be vewwwy caweful!!

Do not lie on your application. It's wrong, you will give your integrity away, and if you are found out later it will be a hard fall. The step's you are taking are exactly what I would do. Take as much documentation about the procedure and more specifically the rehab that you can assemble.

Give that slimey soundin recruiter one more chance...and if he say's he won't work with you unless you mark NO....get the Company Commander's and the Battalion Commander's name right then and there. It should be posted obviously in the recruiting station. If not, the Battalion HQ is usually co located in the same city that the MEPS is in, and look it up in the phone book. Call them immediatley after this recruiter has told you what to mark on your DD 4, and if they sound like they are in on it....tell them you are ready to go to the local press....and MEAN it! Perservere Lad. Be honest and give it your best shot. If all you say is true I can't imagine the Doc will DQ you, but even if he does you can appeal it, try for a waiver, but at least you will know you did the right thing.

Good luck and NEVER QUIT!!

De Opresso Liber

Last edited by Firebeef; 02-01-2006 at 17:22.
Firebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:37   #20
aaron
Asset

I had broken my wrist a long time ago, and I got a doctor's note and got cleared at MEPS... however, on the paperwork, I couldn't remember exactly when it happened so the date I put down was around 3 years off... can I be disqualified for secret clearance and/or discharged because the date doesn't match my doctor's records?

along the same lines- at MEPS they asked me about tickets in my past... I wasn't sure if they were asking about unpaid parking tickets/speeding tickets or if they were asking in general if I'd received any tickets at all. I said "no" because I didn't want to be sent home, but I have had parking tickets AND speeding tickets (I've paid/taken care of them all)... can this get me disqualified as well?

Thank you,

Aaron
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:14   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Aaron:

I would say that you are probably okay, but that you are showing signs of being a relative moralist, or someone who does not pay attention to the question.

If you do not understand, you need to start asking.

Someone your age who can't remember significant events is going to have real problems as an SF soldier.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 13:51   #22
ggamecrazy
Asset

That's starnge, Ive had MRI's but I don't remember them asking me that........Stange....
ggamecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 14:07   #23
airbornefox
Quiet Professional

I've had alot of "disqualifying" medical problems during my short time in the military. I tore my ACL playing college football and had surgery and noted that on my Airborne physical. Cadet Command said I was not qualified for a commission. I also had benign hematuria (blood in urine) in every UA I ever took. Bottom line is that I had all of these "conditions" but I had done all the tests required and got all the letters from my docs and have documentation explaining each problem. Also I have received waivers for these conditions when I did a flight physical. Everytime I go for a physical I take along all of my documentation for the doc to look over and I haven't had any problems.

Best advice I could give you is to be honest... have a letter from the doc stating what happened and your current prognosis and keep them all in a fire proof box for whenever you need it.

Blue Skies!
airbornefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:52   #24
SSG Lockert
Asset

BRAVO 1-3 IS ALL OVER IT. I AM AN SF RECRUITER AND DEAL WITH THESE THINGS ALL THE TIME. IF YOU BRING THE DOCUMENTATION THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM. I YOU DO NOT, THE DOCTOR WILL DEFINITLY TEMP DISQUALIFY YOU.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:54   #25
SSG Lockert
Asset

ALSO, THE GUY ABOVE IS CORRECT, THE FORM YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS A 2807-2 MEDICAL PRESCREEN. THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT MRI'S
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59   #26
SSG Lockert
Asset

ONE MORE THING GUYS. THE PEOPLE AT MEPS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR PAST. THEY TELL YOU THEY DO ONLY TO SCARE YOU INTO TELLING THEM SOMETHING. DO YOU REALLY BELEIVE THAT THEY HAVE TIME TO GO GET MEDICAL RECORDS ON EVERY PERSON THAT COMES THROUGH THERE? ALL I AM SAYING IS, BE HONEST BUT DON'T LET SOME PETTY CRAP THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS.

Just because some people do it and do not get caught does not mean that you will get away with it.

TR

Last edited by The Reaper; 02-07-2006 at 12:15. Reason: Edited to add, DO NOT LIE ON YOUR PAPERWORK!
SSG Lockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 15:43   #27
Nuke
SF Candidate

Update

Lately I’ve been working with the company commander like TR suggested. I actually just sat down to discuss my problems with lying and he suggested the change before I could so it worked out. He's a good guy and was fine with sending my medical stuff down ahead of time. The response we got today was that I was gtg for the physical and they didn't even ask for any additional medical records. All my recruiter sent them was my MRI reports.

So far it looks like doing the right thing is working out for me. My physical is set for Friday.

The question I’ll have to answer at MEPS (as I understand it) that gets me is #23 on the dd-2807-1 form. “Have you ever had an illness or injury other than those already noted.”
Old 02-09-2006, 11:23   #28
Sgt_Metz
Asset

Quote:
The question I’ll have to answer at MEPS (as I understand it) that gets me is #23 on the dd-2807-1 form. “Have you ever had an illness or injury other than those already noted.”
I've always answered this with "Just the occasional common cold/flu."
Sgt_Metz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 21:15   #29
Rehhan
Asset

I had a similar problem just before meps. A few years back I'd had a bad concussion and had a subsequent MRI. About a week before going to MEPS I realized that I hadn't told my recruiter about it, it had simply slipped my mind. After telling him he told me that I just shouldn't say anything to the doctors at MEPS and I'd be fine. When I went down there I told them anyways, even though I didn't have any of the records on it. They just asked me a few questions about it and cleared me and I left with a clear conscious and an 18x contract.

I also had a friend go in last year as an infantryman after he'd had several problems with his knees. He actually dislocated his right knee while duckwalking at MEPS. The doctors there said he could never go in, but after surgery and having the meps doctors talk to his personal doctor he got in, went infantry and to airborne. Just tell them the truth and things should work themselves out.
Rehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 23:29   #30
Nuke
SF Candidate

Today was the day...

So today was the day I found out if refusing to lie about my medical stuff was going to keep me from an 18x contract. I'm happy to say that I answered every question 100% honest and they approved me without hesitation. I took all my MRI and medical reports just incase but they were satisfied with just talking about it. The doc asked a few good questions but they were all very reasonable. Also, I could see him keeping a good eye on me during the duck walks and other drills but expected nothing less. That is his job after all.

I'm glad I could do this with a clear conscious and that I found a recruiter willing to put up with me being a pain in the butt about it. Now I can add my ship date to the 18x and Rep63s thread.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.