Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 01-26-2006, 18:05   #1
Nuke
SF Candidate

Unhappy Lying about MRI on MEPS Physical

I've had an MRI in the past and one of the questions on the MEPS form is have you ever had an MRI. My recruiters is telling me to put "NO" even though I have. He said that putting "YES" will automatically disqualify me for 18X or any "good" job in the military. On top of that he says the military will never know anyway. This doesn't seem technically or morally right IMHO.

The MRI's were done on my hamstring and knee. I got the one on my hamstring because I slightly pulled it. The knee I got done because I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything to it when I hurt the hamstring. Someone recommended I do it. It only cost me $20 to get it done so why not. Will this disqualify me?!?!?!?

I'd really appreciate your insight into this. I already know I'm going to put "YES." I just want to know if it's going to be a waste of my time or what I can do to help me get in.

V/R Ray
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 18:15   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
I've had an MRI in the past and one of the questions on the MEPS form is have you ever had an MRI. My recruiters is telling me to put "NO" even though I have. He said that putting "YES" will automatically disqualify me for 18X or any "good" job in the military. On top of that he says the military will never know anyway. This doesn't seem technically or morally right IMHO.

The MRI's were done on my hamstring and knee. I got the one on my hamstring because I slightly pulled it. The knee I got done because I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything to it when I hurt the hamstring. Someone recommended I do it. It only cost me $20 to get it done so why not. Will this disqualify me?!?!?!?

I'd really appreciate your insight into this. I already know I'm going to put "YES." I just want to know if it's going to be a waste of my time or what I can do to help me get in.

V/R Ray
Ray:

Your recruiter is a sorry, unethical POS who wants to make his numbers with the minimum effort.

Do not lie on your application. They Army may pull your medical records from the clinic or hospital and if they see that you signed the consent forms for an MRI, well, you are going to have some 'splaining to do.

Anyone who is advised by their recruiter to lie or falsify applications or records should know that is immoral, unethical and illegal. The Army may go after the recruiter eventually, but you will be the one who pays the initial price for it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 18:25   #3
jatx
Area Commander

When you go to MEPS, a physician will interview you about all of your answers on the medical history. For example, I had bronchitis when I went and I therefore checked "yes" to chronic cough. The Doc asked me how long I'd been sick, then noted on the last page that my cough was "not chronic", and therefore not a disqualifying condition. I would venture a guess that your MRI will be treated similarly - he'll ask you about the context and result, then sign off on it (assuming the facts you've given here). In some other cases, MEPS may request documentation of your treatment for a condition and/or letters from multiple physicians before declaring you fit for service. It is not a big deal and, while it will be time consuming and frustrating, obtaining a med waiver is not an insurmountable obstacle.

You seem to have already worked out what your approach will be, but I'll just add that being told by a recruiter to falsify your medical history is a nearly universal experience. At the very least, you should research what conditions or procedures are waiverable and which are not. The applicable publication is AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness. It is easily found with Google.

Good luck and don't sweat it.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 19:13   #4
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

Nuke:

Check YES and bring the records to prove that you are 100%. If the MRI was done as a precautionary measure, then it should not be a big deal.

Lying on any application you fill out, none-the-less one that will result in at least a Secret if not a Top Secret Clearance is an absolute no-no. The last thing in the world you want is to be denied a clearance due to dishonesty of any sort.
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 19:28   #5
jon448
SF Candidate

Ray-
As all the BTDTs are saying, check Yes and then explain to the Doc at MEPS, make sure you have all of the paperwork with you. One person who went from my recruiting station when I went didn't have his paperwork and got DQed because of it.
Old 01-26-2006, 20:33   #6
Nuke
SF Candidate

Is it possible to go it alone?

There isn't a doubt that I'm going to mark yes. As a matter of fact it's already been marked. I hold myself to pretty high standard on that stuff. If a man's word can't be trusted, what good is he!

I asked the recruiter what information I needed to take with me to show that it wasn't an issue and he said to just do both him and myself a favor and just mark "NO". He doesn't even want to work with me if I mark otherwise. I guess I'm not worth his time. I don't get these people.

What paperwork should I take? I have the one set of MRI's and a note from the doc saying that I'm good to go. I guess I'll get the other set and a note from that doc as well.

Can you just show up at MEPS on your own? This is the second recruiter I've tried to work with. Where do they get these people????

I really appreciate the help. I love this forum!
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 20:39   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You might consider finding out who the Recruiting Station or unit commander or NCOIC is and dealing with them.

I do not believe that you can walk into a MEPS and enlist or process without the recruiter's paperwork.

We need a recruiter here to answer these questions.

Anyone know a good one?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 21:14   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Don't lie. Get another recruiter.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 21:26   #9
Stiletto11
Guerrilla

BS

I just came in after a 12 year break in service with hardware in my knee and prior to even going to MEPPs I had to provide XRays and a history before I could even go for the MEPPS Physical. After all the due diligence I had a picket fence on PUHLES except for my hearing which was a 2. My knee which was the subject of the due diligence was rated a 1. Twelve years on jump status will take a toll as will any athletic endeavor. The good news is with todays modern medicine what might have been a DQ years ago is not today. Ruck Up
Stiletto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:42   #10
FNU_LNU
Asset

I'll echo jatx's comment that this seems to happen frequently. My NG recruiter told me the same thing at our first meeting (after an intolerable amount of time trying to convince me just how much money I could make by signing up). In his words, checking yes to anything would screw up my application and it was better to just check no. I wasn't buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
When you go to MEPS, a physician will interview you about all of your answers on the medical history. For example, I had bronchitis when I went and I therefore checked "yes" to chronic cough. The Doc asked me how long I'd been sick, then noted on the last page that my cough was "not chronic", and therefore not a disqualifying condition. I would venture a guess that your MRI will be treated similarly - he'll ask you about the context and result, then sign off on it (assuming the facts you've given here). In some other cases, MEPS may request documentation of your treatment for a condition and/or letters from multiple physicians before declaring you fit for service. It is not a big deal and, while it will be time consuming and frustrating, obtaining a med waiver is not an insurmountable obstacle.

You seem to have already worked out what your approach will be, but I'll just add that being told by a recruiter to falsify your medical history is a nearly universal experience. At the very least, you should research what conditions or procedures are waiverable and which are not. The applicable publication is AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness. It is easily found with Google.

Good luck and don't sweat it.
FNU_LNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:54   #11
Kyobanim

Well, while we're telling stories on our recruiters . . .

When I went to sign up with 19th in Colorado, (20 years ago), I told the recruiter I was color blind. He gave me a colorblindness test chart and said memorize this.

And no, I didn't. At the time all it did was limit my MOS choices.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:00   #12
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

What everyone else said...
Your integrity is the only thing that you must freely choose to give up. And once it is gone...well, it's gone. Good on ya for wanting to do te right thing. Your situation regarding the moral conduct of the recruiting command is, unfortunately, not at all uncommon.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42   #13
Detcord
Guerrilla

Not to be redundant, but fire your recruiter and find another one. Just go to another recruiting office in a different part of town or even a different city and start over again.

Recruiting duty is something most people don't really want to do, that's why the military more or less "forces" certain indivudals to go to recruiting school and become recruiters. Recruiting duty is often dreaded, especially if the soldier came from action-oriented or combat-related MOS's.

Additionally, the information provided to someone sitting in a recruiting office can often have a wide range of variability (i.e. "truth"). Let your gut instinct and moral compass be your guides...

Good luck with another recruiter and getting the training you are looking for.
Detcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 13:03   #14
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

I'm going through this with my son right now. He's trying to get an Option 40 (Ranger) contract. He had surgery last year to repair torn ligaments in his shoulder. According to the AR covering medical fitness the remaining hardware disqualifies him for Airborne/Ranger/SF contracts. We are submitting all of the documentation for his surgery PRIOR to going to MEPS for his physical as well as letters from his Dr and coaches. Hopefully he'll be cleared. Hell he's played another year of football and wrestling post-surgery.

TRs right, we need a recruiter on here.......

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 17:08   #15
Weazle23
Guerrilla

I recently graduated from Recruiter School but have yet to report to my recruiting assignment so I can offer no real world experience yet, except for when I went through MEPS just over 2 years ago.

I sprained my knee and had an MRI to see if I needed surgery. Thankfully I didn't need to go under the knife and was walking/running with no problem about a month later. The MEPS doc asked about it during the Airborne physical and was satisfied with the truth. He made a note that I had recovered in 30 days and that was the end of it. But just because I didn't need to show any paper work, doesn't mean you'll have it that easy, so I'd advise if you have it, bring it.