Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 10-22-2008, 07:44   #31
RB
Quiet Professional

Sounds like an awesome event!

I had previous engagements or I would have attended as I only live about 5 miles from Springfield.

Maybe next time and congrats to Courtney!!

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:30   #32
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Outstanding work Sir...
I agree Sir.........
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 17:52   #33
Gypsy
Area Commander

Fantastic news, congrats!
Old 11-05-2008, 20:27   #34
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up SOWF Named Top-Rated Charity for 3rd Consecutive Year

SOWF Named Top-Rated Charity for 3rd Consecutive Year

For the third consecutive year, the Special Operations Warrior Foundation has received a four-star rating from Charity Navigator, America's largest independent evaluator of charities. Receiving four out of four stars indicates the Special Operations Warrior Foundation excels, as compared to other charities in America, in successfully managing organization finances.

Organizations that receive a four-star evaluation "exceed industry standards and outperform most charities in their causes," according to Charity Navigator. Less than 10 percent of the programs rated receive a four-star evaluation.

"This 'exceptional' designation from Charity Navigator differentiates the Special Operations Warrior Foundation from its peers and demonstrates to the public it is worthy of their trust," wrote Ken Berger, President and Executive Director of Charity Navigator in his letter to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. He stated that this designation helps informed donors feel confident that their contributions are being utilized in the most effective and transparent manner.

"This award is a testament to our dedicated supporters, as well as to the talents of our Board and our staff," said John T. Carney, Jr., President & CEO of the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

"For over 28 years, we have been dedicated to supporting the special operations community by providing college educations to the surviving children of fallen Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine special operations personnel as well as providing immediate financial assistance to special operations personnel severely wounded in action. We are very proud of this recognition, and it further motivates us to continue our important efforts to support our troops and their families."
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:34   #35
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

SOWFnow on Twitter...

http://twitter.com/SOFWarriorFnd
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06   #36
Z06Fix
SF Candidate

Made my donation and picked up a copy of "get selected" a few days ago.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that have put their time and effort into the charity.
Z06Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49   #37
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

W-M,

I had lunch at the Cracker Barrel and saw they had Wounded Warrior T-shirts on sale but only up to size 2XX. Would the Foundation consider that they're enough "big guys" who would like to show support,but are unable to fit in that size ..... How about 4XX or even 5XX?

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Old 09-05-2009, 10:06   #38
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

The Wounded Warrior Project is different from SOWF.
Sounds like you saw a different organization's gear...

Digressing, just got my copy of "Warrior Link" (SOWF's newsletter) and saw Dalton Fury supported them with a check for $25,000.

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 09-05-2009 at 10:24.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:33   #39
Prester John
Quiet Professional

I'm kind of out of pocket right now, but had the pleasure of being involved in the SOWF fundraiser in the Springs a few weeks back. From the correspondence i got, it seemed like a top notch event that raised an impressive amount of money for an excellent organization. I'm proud to be involved, and have had three BIG reminders of the foundation's worth on this trip.

Thanks for the hard work, sir. I know i still have my copy of your book on the shelf from when i was a SOPC.

Doug
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49   #40
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

SOWF still best org for donations?

Saw the concerns expressed in 2005-06 by several QPs about SOWF potentially on the decline. Some of it was about Hilary's involvement as a spokesperson; some of it seemed to be about SOWF leadership.

Also saw W-M's more recent post about SOWF as a 4 star-rated charity 2006-08.

I'm a stickler about contributing to orgs that use majority (90%+) of my donation towards the charity (QPs/families), not towards salaries/operating expenses.

What are your thoughts in 2009... TR, changed your mind? Others, is this where you prefer civie donations to go? I know there is no perfect charity or situation, but if we were to support you financially, is this where you would want our money to go?

Thanks,
o5
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35   #41
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Can't speak for TR, but here's two posts worth looking at:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...&postcount=327

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...&postcount=323
Old 10-26-2009, 12:28   #42
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I just pledged 23 dollars a pay period, every two weeks, to them. They use volunteers and most of the money goes directly to the families and not to admin overhead. I believe they are at less than 12% for admin and the rest goes to the famillies of SOF personnel.

The CFC rates them very high.

My 2 cents, they stepped on their wanger with the b***h but still do good work.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 13:24   #43
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor View Post
The Wounded Warrior Project is different from SOWF.
Sounds like you saw a different organization's gear...

Digressing, just got my copy of "Warrior Link" (SOWF's newsletter) and saw Dalton Fury supported them with a check for $25,000.
I did send $25 to SOWF after I got my "get selected" book,but I will send more as I feel this is the best use of my extra cash when I have some.....Do they have T-shirts in big guys sizes? .........

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 10-27-2009, 15:37   #44
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5 View Post
Saw the concerns expressed in 2005-06 by several QPs about SOWF potentially on the decline. Some of it was about Hilary's involvement as a spokesperson; some of it seemed to be about SOWF leadership.

Also saw W-M's more recent post about SOWF as a 4 star-rated charity 2006-08.

I'm a stickler about contributing to orgs that use majority (90%+) of my donation towards the charity (QPs/families), not towards salaries/operating expenses.

What are your thoughts in 2009... TR, changed your mind? Others, is this where you prefer civie donations to go? I know there is no perfect charity or situation, but if we were to support you financially, is this where you would want our money to go?

Thanks,
o5
If you wish to assist SF soldiers donate here:

http://www.specialforcesassociation.org/
Old 10-27-2009, 15:50   #45
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
If you wish to assist SF soldiers donate here:

http://www.specialforcesassociation.org/
I agree.

It will go directly to the families of SF soldiers, not SOF, who were killed in combat, not training.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote