Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 20:55   #16
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedic
Team Sgt: Thanks again for the reply. By "reasonable shape" I meant to say is some one healthy and with out a lot of physical limitations or chronic medical problems.
This is why I am curious as to the age of the oldest SF candidate.
Thanks again Team Sgt
LOL - "reasonable shape" to the TS is smoking the 17-24 y/o PT test after a 12-mile hump in under 2 hours.

"reasonable shape" ROTFLMAO
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35   #17
Croaker
Asset

Quote:
Pete Than you for posting in. I hate the regular Army. Im a medic in the National Guard. Im a paramedic in the civilian world and I am with out any challenges any more. I feel the calling to SF. I have over the years read, researched, and talked to anyone in SF. I should have been an 18-D years ago. I dont want to die with regrets. There is no me set in my ways (mentality). Im also attracted to SF because they are not like the rest of the Army. There will be no issues of that sort
Thanks again. good to hear form you
somedic
SOMEDIC-I'm a former Navy corpsman, 32 y.o., and just signed up the 2/19th SFG WVARNG in May to get on their training team to prep for selection......and I did it for exactly the reason you mentioned.....I didn't want to have any regrets later on. If this is what you really want, don't let anything hold you back. My wife has already said a couple of days ago that she hasn't seen me smile this much in a long time. Once I made the commitment to follow through, I've never been happier. Best wishes to you on whatever you decide!

Croaker
"If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has been done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to get the work done. "--Dale Carnegie
Old 06-14-2005, 19:31   #18
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

somedic: I was 35 when I first reported for duty with ODA 041. There is a long and convoluted story why this came about so late in life and in my career (for a few beers I will gladly recount it all to you). I have no regrets. I'm glad I did it, when I did it. The old saying : "better late than never" is true. Sure, I was scrutinized more than the 20 somethings showing up, but like in any unit...work hard, train hard and keep your mouth shut until you know what the hell is going on, and you will fit in. I actually ended up being a Team SGT and taking a team (successfully) into Bosnia. The real killer was....after years of having Ranger school used as a carrot by conventional units, I finally completed Ranger class 6-96. I was 38, and the oldest guy in the class. It sucked...but I'm pretty sure Ranger school sucks when you're 18 too! Hang in there brother...if you don't reach for the stars, you'll always be an earthpig!

De Oppresso Liber
Old 06-14-2005, 23:07   #19
Gandhi

I know of one idividual in my class that I have been going through with who is 42, the sad part is he can outrun a good 80% of the young guys. I'll be damned if I ever let him beat me though.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:31   #20
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'll be damned if I ever let him beat me though.
Then he already has...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:01   #21
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

Thanks Firebeef!

Fire Beef: Thanks for the support and motivational message. Ive already started testing my self. I just did the APFT with another guard buddy and Im waiting till noon to start a 5-mile ruck march with 50+/- lbs in the noon day heat!
Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08   #22
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

Molim!!

lol thats serbo for yer welkum! wouldn't mind a good hard ruck this afternoon, would rather take ya up the mountains...but yeah training in the noon day heat, as much as it sucks is a good idea. stay hydrated. Don't overdo the weight, regardless of how good shape you're in, your knees are still 38, 50-60 pounds is the most I would recommend. Believe me, once you're in the Q course, and on a team you'll have plenty of opportunities to carry a ludicrously heavy ruck. Train hard. Train smart. Never ever quit

Last edited by Firebeef; 06-15-2005 at 09:09. Reason: forgot sumtin
Old 06-15-2005, 14:12   #23
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

Yep this after noons ruck march was a real testical dragger. Some people I met along the way looked at me like I was an idiot. It felt good to be able to complete the movement though. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:31   #24
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

Thanks again for those of you posting in with encouragement. Ive begun in the last four months a serious PT improvement program. Ive recently started ruck marching and I love it! I have a five mile dirt road with creeks to cross and lots of snakes to avoid. It is great! Im only using 45-50lbs three times a week for now.
Im actually having fun even though it is wearing my medic a** out.!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 14:38   #25
Martin

Quote:
Thanks again for those of you posting in with encouragement. Ive begun in the last four months a serious PT improvement program. Ive recently started ruck marching and I love it! I have a five mile dirt road with creeks to cross and lots of snakes to avoid. It is great! Im only using 45-50lbs three times a week for now.
Im actually having fun even though it is wearing my medic a** out.!!!
Good going there!

Keep in mind what everybody 'round here is saying about the weight though, no need to go beyond 50 lbs.

Martin

Old 06-20-2005, 15:42   #26
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

My room mate while I was in the SFQC went through SFAS at 42. He was National Guard and worked in San Fran as a Fireman for his full time job. Wasn't in killer shape, but did his share of PT ...could ruck all day long and just refused to quit. It's a mindset.
Old 06-20-2005, 17:35   #27
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

Warrior-Mentor: It is an absolute thrill to have you post in on this topic. I have your book and have read it and referenced it many times in the last month.
Thank you for your work sir.
somedic
Old 06-20-2005, 20:11   #28
FrankS
On Probation

Talking Thank you all.

Thank you all for posting on this topic , you have no idea how grateful I am am to get solid information on this specific topic without a lot of chest thumping. This is very inspiring and motivating I have been doubting myself and wondering if I would even have a chance or if I was just fooling myself into believing that I could make the muster with a bunch of young bucks. Thanks to your post I believe I can at 37. I will be going to meps on the 1st of July and attempt to get a slot for 97b I hope that will allow me to get into the 18X field. Will determine that at meps. Again thank you all for contributing to this thread.

Take care Frank
Old 06-20-2005, 20:27   #29
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Either way Frank.. Good Luck. You will be serving your country no matter what and that counts.
Old 06-20-2005, 20:42   #30
FrankS
On Probation

yes.

Quote:
no matter what and that counts.
Yes sir, you are right but there is a deep desire to do this and its been there for years and it's getting stronger the older I get. This will be my second time to serve my country I hope all goes well at MEPS and I am given that opportunity. I have a force Protection and PSD contract in the works, if they do not materialize by the first of July it is 100% Army, obviously if the contracts come to bear I have to take them just because of the money. I have several irons in the fire but deep down I am hoping for the Army. About 1 year after I got out of the Navy I missed it, I should have never gotten out. I won't bore you guys with this just thank you again for this encouraging thread..

Take care ,,, Frank.
Closed Thread