Old 03-08-2010, 23:45   #16
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Wall of text

HTH.

TR
I hate to do it to you, but would you mind revisiting your situational outlook on those two posts? I couldn't even track where I was reading using a sheet of paper on the monitor...
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:51   #17
Axe
Guerrilla

A lot of the information you would want for an area study is likely going to be listed in your city and/or county's Emergency Operations Plan (known by other names as well in some places), which is generally maintained by the Emergency Management Department.

If there is no Emergency Management Department, the Sheriff's office will likely be in charge of the plan.

Your state will have a plan as well.

A friendly call or visit to the emergency manager will often educate you a great deal with the counties plans and assumptions. In most cases, it also makes it very clear that you had better not plan on getting the kind of help from the government that the average person expects to get in a disaster, a concept proven with almost every disaster that has occurred in the US.

One thing to look for in the plan is assumptions the emergency plan makes in regards to household preparedness. Plans I have seen from different agencies have made assumptions of household self-sufficiency ranging anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.

If you are only set up to take care of your household for 72 hours and your local government, the backbone of emergency response, expects you to take care of all your needs for a week or more, you should know that up front so you can upgrade your planning and resources.

Remember that the Fog of War applies in disasters and government inefficiencies multiply. You will likely be on your own longer than the government's emergency plan expects you will be.

Last edited by Axe; 03-19-2010 at 09:54.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19   #18
albeham
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Remember that the Fog of War applies in disasters and government inefficiencies multiply. You will likely be on your own longer than the government's emergency plan expects you will be.

Been doing the Ham ARES/ RACES stuff for years, and I agree 100% with you on your statement, hell it is a fact!!!!

2 weeks is a very good short time view.

...Look at your long term plan....
Old 03-22-2010, 16:49   #19
fng13
Guerrilla

I can't offer much in the way of long term survival or living off the land, but growing up in and around garages I can offer I think a little to those of you who might be depending on a vehicle to get you to safety or as part of your long term survival arsenal.

My car survival kit that is the kit just for working on the car contains:

Hammer (lots of things on a car need a little motivation)
Rubber Mallet
Magnetically Charged Flashlight
Small Hacksaw
Socket Set (Complete Metric or Standard, but I keep some of the other JIC)
6" and 10" extensions
One large file
Various Sizes of Screwdrivers (both straight and phillips 3 each)
One Medium Crescent Wrench
One Pair Channel Lock Pliers
One Pair Needle Nose Pliers
One Pair Vice Grips
One Open and Box wrench (1/2 inch)
One Multi-wrench in 3/8 and 3/16
Small Pack of Wire caps and Zip ties
Tape Measure
One Pair Mechanix Gloves

I also have a small generic automotive tool kit that has a small case with
interchangable tip screw driver/socket combo, takedown lug wrench, and 3 open ended wrenches in various sizes and a small crescent wrench

It might seem like a lot but I can fit all of that into a small mechanics bag. It doesn't take up much room at all and doesn't weigh much. It has come in handy on more than a few occasions.

I also keep a small hydraulic jack as opposed to the screw kind in my car, it is only marginally bigger and can hold more weight, more stable, and is easier to manipulate.

I hope some find that helpful for their vehicles survivability.

fng
Old 03-22-2010, 17:19   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

One thing that I like to keep in my kit that has proven invaluable is a 12v. DC test light.

I would see your car kit (good one, BTW), and add a set of jumper cables, a tire pressure gauge, a can of fix-a-flat, a roll of duct tape, a roll of electrical tape, some 550 cord, a 20' piece of 1" tubular nylon webbing, several sizes of screw drive hose clamps, several feet of fuel line, a few feet of insulated wire, a quart of oil, a short piece of cheater pipe, a tube of JB Weld, a couple of turn signal and brake light bulbs, an assortment of fuses, some heat shrink tubing, a coat hanger or three, a car charger for my cell phone, a headlamp, a big bottle of fuel treatment, a couple of flares, a fire extinguisher, a Woodsman's Pal, an entrenching tool, a folding saw, a lineman's phone, a poncho liner, a couple of emergency blankets, a roll of paper towels, several maps, a GPS, flexcuffs (I mean LARGE ZipTies), a can of OC spray, a couple of extra mags, a SureFire flashlight or two, with spare batteries, rain gear, a hat, a first aid kit, and a one gallon anti-freeze or gas can.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 17:58   #21
zpo
Asset

Quote:
flexcuffs (I mean LARGE ZipTies)

TR
Large zip ties as a substitute for flexcuffs? What is your opinion on this?
http://www.itstactical.com/2009/09/2...from-zip-ties/
zpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 19:12   #22
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
One thing that I like to keep in my kit that has proven invaluable is a 12v. DC test light.

I would see your car kit (good one, BTW), and add a set of jumper cables, a tire pressure gauge, a can of fix-a-flat, a roll of duct tape, a roll of electrical tape, some 550 cord, a 20' piece of 1" tubular nylon webbing, several sizes of screw drive hose clamps, several feet of fuel line, a few feet of insulated wire, a quart of oil, a short piece of cheater pipe, a couple of turn signal and brake light bulbs, an assortment of fuses, some heat shrink tubing, a coat hanger or three, a car charger for my cell phone, a headlamp, a big bottle of fuel treatment, a couple of flares, a fire extinguisher, a Woodsman's Pal, an entrenching tool, a folding saw, a lineman's phone, a poncho liner, a couple of emergency blankets, a roll of paper towels, several maps, a GPS, flexcuffs (I mean LARGE ZipTies), a can of OC spray, a couple of extra mags, a SureFire flashlight or two, with spare batteries, rain gear, a hat, a first aid kit, and a one gallon anti-freeze or gas can.

TR

TR

Your post taught me a good lesson, beyond adding things to my kit but to pay attention to replentishing my kit as I use it. When I wrote my post I was looking at my kit, and then looking at your post made me realize I never put Duct/Electrical tape, and my shrink tubing back after I used it up. And I realized I lost my tire gauge. I thought about putting a coat hanger in there because I've used it several times to open my lock , just havn't done it yet.

Some other things I would also recommend if you really want to keep your car moving. Some stop leak, carb cleaner, tiger hair (Small Kit) and if you have any experience with it you could get a tire patch kit for when you have time for a little more reliable solution (that would be for when you had time to stop and find the leak its not hard to do and lasts).

fng
Old 03-22-2010, 19:43   #23
zpo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
TR

tiger hair (Small Kit)

fng
Is this fiberglass? What would be its use in this situation?
Old 03-22-2010, 20:03   #24
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpo View Post
Is this fiberglass? What would be its use in this situation?
Tiger hair is very tough fiberglass when it dries it is rock hard. Its use in this sort of situation is for sealing leaks you could pretty much temporarily fix any leak you might have with this stuff. If you dont trust it to stop a leak on its own simply cut a peice of metal and fiberglass that over the hole. On a gas tank or something like that it might not be a permanent fix but it might get you the extra miles you need. When using it though I wouldn't get it on anything you don't want it on because its very hard to get off.
Old 03-22-2010, 20:06   #25
zpo
Asset

Thank you.
Old 03-23-2010, 20:00   #26
Books
Quiet Professional

One thing for all to consider for E and E is that one's bicycle can be used to transport large amounts of gear, etc over long distances. Throw your ruck over the cross bar and walk along side it. Worked for Ho Chi Minh; will work for you.

- Jack Moroney
Old 03-23-2010, 20:12   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
One thing for all to consider for E and E is that one's bicycle can be used to transport large amounts of gear, etc over long distances. Throw your ruck over the cross bar and walk along side it. Worked for Ho Chi Minh; will work for you.
True dat!

You can buy panniers, saddlebags, or just use pieces of pipe or bamboo lashed on to build handles, shelves, or racks. You can put over 200 pounds on one and still push it, if you practice and load it properly.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:01   #28
LarryW
Area Commander

The bike is probably a lot simpler in that they could also be used to move over the ground once the gear was reduced. Here's an option I've been considering.

Attachment 15034

One thing about using a wheeled device is to include in your BOB a Monkey Grip tire repair kit and a pump.

Last edited by LarryW; 05-31-2010 at 04:39.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:06   #29
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

The Mormons moved an entire "society" (in several waves) with hand carts. It's all a matter of motivation.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18   #30
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
The Mormons moved an entire "society" (in several waves) with hand carts. It's all a matter of motivation.
And smart packing.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote