Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 02-21-2010, 19:39   #46
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Just found my TDY orders to Fort Sam for 300F1.
Purpose: Attend Cl 69-5 Medical Aidman Crs (300-F-1)

These orders were dated 8 Oct 68. I am still looking for my 91A orders and 05B orders.

Now my hazardous duty orders for Medical OJT at Martin Army says class 4 but without a date, then again that is another section.

I can't find any other orders for that time right now. My diplomas have no class numbers on them at all. Only course and grad dates.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 21:51   #47
Mr Furious
Quiet Professional

Class 01-87
Mr Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 22:32   #48
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Hmm.

I always thought the FY for the U.S. started on 1 Oct.

The class numbers, IIRC, started with 1 for the first class of the new FY and proceed till the last class to start that FY.

They are now sequential.

TR

Ah hell, I added an extras finger in doing the months to names... Sorry TR, I meant October... a brain -finger synapse paresthesia must have occurred... Nah, I just screwed up.

Does the MacKall gig pit still have the sign that Reads "Pain Purifies" as you enter and "Wanna Quit?" as you exit? Is there even a gig pit at MacKall anymore? I mean there are barracks out there now...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 23:16   #49
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Two class numbers

Started in Nov 83 and finished in April 84. Our class number in phase 3 was not the same as phase one and two. There was no break between phases. I do remember an unusually high number of people joining us at phase three. More than the normal medic additions. Maybe we meshed two classes?

We had quite a few Iraqi officers in our class. They were the good guys back then. I still remember a group of them sitting around a fire throwing on logs covered with poison oak and breathing in the smoke. No one offered to advise them this was a bad idea. They had performed extremely poorly during the course but knew they would not be terminated. (seems there was an incident with a Central American officer who recently failed the course) This gave them a fairly arrogant attitude. I suspect that changed some years later.
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:20   #50
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Started in Nov 83 and finished in April 84. Our class number in phase 3 was not the same as phase one and two. There was no break between phases. I do remember an unusually high number of people joining us at phase three. More than the normal medic additions. Maybe we meshed two classes?

We had quite a few Iraqi officers in our class. They were the good guys back then. I still remember a group of them sitting around a fire throwing on logs covered with poison oak and breathing in the smoke. No one offered to advise them this was a bad idea. They had performed extremely poorly during the course but knew they would not be terminated. (seems there was an incident with a Central American officer who recently failed the course) This gave them a fairly arrogant attitude. I suspect that changed some years later.
That was your Team? I was one of the "add-ons" in Phase 3 to your class, as an 11B... A lot of the other guys coming in were medics that had just finished Med-Lab or Commo guys that finished up Code... back then - those were the two long courses...

It snowed on my team during the recon at the final objective...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:26   #51
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I always thought the FY for the U.S. started on 1 Oct.:
Prior to 74 or 75, the Federal FY began in July...one quarter was added to stretch the budget back around the time we were Whipping Inflation....More year, same money...that is a one-time, maybe two-time good deal...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 13:58   #52
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Actaully, if I remember correctly, the Dems, at the time, swore that they could reach a budget agreement better if they had three more months to work on it.

Seems to have worked out well, what do you guys think?

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:32   #53
Pete
Quiet Professional

Payday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
Prior to 74 or 75, the Federal FY began in July...one quarter was added to stretch the budget back around the time we were Whipping Inflation....More year, same money...that is a one-time, maybe two-time good deal...
Remember the trick they used years ago when money was short. Payday used to be the last day of the month. To "save" money they moved payday to the first of September into "next year's" budget.

Didn't save any real money, just looked good on paper and they could only do it once.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:32   #54
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Remember the trick they used years ago when money was short. Payday used to be the last day of the month. To "save" money they moved payday to the first of September into "next year's" budget.

Didn't save any real money, just looked good on paper and they could only do it once.
Speaking of money,when did they stop paying in "script" ?

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 13:16   #55
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

MPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Speaking of money,when did they stop paying in "script" ?

Big Teddy

Don't worry though, you can still convert MPC dollars into confederate money

Last edited by Last hard class; 03-06-2010 at 14:04.
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:53   #56
rltipton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Wait a minute, assuming 7 classes per year then 247 classes only takes you back 35 years.
My diploma just has the dates 2 July - 21 November 1986 (signed by Col McClure and BG Guest)
Don't quote me on this, but if my memory serves me (and it often times does not) 7 classes per year has not always been the norm. There were 5 classes per year and sometimes 4 from the late 1980s through late 1990s much of the time with 6 or 7 only occasionally. I was in class 5-92 and the class behind us was 1-93.

Remember, SF was not hurting for bodies a lot of times and ran a lot of good guys out of SWC and sent them to division for years. There were also periods when they were completely unable to fill class seats and had to cancel and condense classes and had a surplus of students-in-wait hanging around for a class to start.

Anyway, if you repeat your math using an average of 4 to 6 (5) it puts class #1 in 1966'ish (didn't use a calculator so it may be off +/- a couple). That puts the date a little more in the ballpark of where it should be.

I am curious which class is considered as the official SFQC Class #1.

Edit: I know which class number I was in (5-92), but my diploma does not mention it, just dates and the course number.

Be safe,
Randy

Last edited by rltipton; 03-14-2010 at 09:56.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03   #57
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltipton View Post
There were also periods when they were completely unable to fill class seats and had to cancel and condense classes and had a surplus of students-in-wait hanging around for a class to start.
I was one of those nuckle-heads reporting everyday to the BN Staff Duty NCO, (two months).

Sometimes it was working in the office, wearing BDU's. Other times, it was the yellow banana PT gear on a work detail picking up pine cones, painting, or hanging new rope on obstackles at MacKall. Which by the way was a great way to G2 the grounds and plant caches on the land nav cource.

Of cource I never did that, it's just I heard some other fellas talk about it.
Old 03-14-2010, 16:58   #58
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Class Number

I did phase one with 2-80, phase 3 with 3-80 due to code speed. 1-80 went out in late November, we went out in Feb. We called our selves the first easy class as CM had left for another outfit. I never met the man but his rep was bad assed, it was like the whole camp had exhaled. The TACs anounced the US beat the USSR (Hockey) on the loud speaker we thought it was psyops! I remember over twenty inches of snow at the end of phase 1, we ended up walking back to Mackall. We also had a guy struck by lightening in phase 3, he graduated but I heard he died later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graduation Ft Bragg.jpg (6.5 KB, 131 views)

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 17:45   #59
CSB
Quiet Professional

Class 1-76, all in 1975

Back when the fiscal year started on July 1, each class was numbered beginning with the number one, followed by the fiscal year in which the funds were appropriated for that class. The next class was number 2 dash (FY), etc.

This could lead to the goofy situation of my Special Forces Officers Course, the first for Fiscal Year 1975 (Fiscal Year 1976 began on July 1, 1975 and ended June 30, 1976). We therefore were class "1-76," even though the class was conducted from September - December, entirely within calendar year 1975.

That changed in 1976, when the U.S. Government started the fiscal year on October 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Class Roster Cover Sheet.jpg (41.4 KB, 103 views)
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 18:31   #60
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltipton View Post
I was in class 5-92 and the class behind us was 1-93.

Edit: I know which class number I was in (5-92), but my diploma does not mention it, just dates and the course number.

Be safe,
Randy
I got as far as Dish's memorial service info in my box of trinkets, and stopped. Hard to believe it's been 2 years since he passed away. I think that our class number is on the SFQC Graduation program.

The class behind us was 6-92, they started in Aug or Sep of 92 just prior to the fiscal year.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote