Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24   #16
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
If we were a numbered course, we sure weren't aware of it - but we weren't seeking to get 'noticed' much by the likes of Bear Martin, Richmond Nail, Big O, The Hunter, etc, either.

Richard
I am proud to say, I suppose, that other than seeing their names in the Drop, possibly, I do not know any of the people you mention, never heard of any of them and would not recognize them if I saw them.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32   #17
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
I agree completely in not wanting to draw to much attention from that list of QP's! However, I think Mitch was talking about the consecutive numbering the SGM referenced:

Yes - that was my original question - If they call this latest class the 247th class, was that just due to some historical research or are they officially numbering them in some way. All the same, it would be interesting to know - what class number (historically speaking) from zero to 247 we were.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41   #18
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Except for class 1-83, I am not aware of any class "numbers". (There's none on my diploma, just dates.)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:48   #19
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Yes - that was my original question - If they call this latest class the 247th class, was that just due to some historical research or are they officially numbering them in some way. All the same, it would be interesting to know - what class number (historically speaking) from zero to 247 we were.
It sounds a little gay to me.
BUT, it might work this way, "I went to the Q course 11 classes after the last hard one."
Or maybe there could be a "tradition" that all odd numbered classes must buy the beer for all classes with numbers evenly divisible by 7 unless the first class number is also evenly divisible 21 but only when the bar has an even number of beer on tap, unless the majority of beers served are German then the obligation is reversed and they have to get up and get all the free popcorn. Unless the waitress is blond and then the obligation reverts to the original (except on Fridays with even numbered dates).

The hell with this. . . , lets just play CRUD or Thumper for beer.

Wait a minute, assuming 7 classes per year then 247 classes only takes you back 35 years.
My diploma just has the dates 2 July - 21 November 1986 (signed by Col McClure and BG Guest)

Last edited by Dozer523; 02-11-2010 at 13:00.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

I'm probably better off not knowing my class number - being mildly dyslexic, if it wasn't something like 77 or 101 or 222 or the like, I'd probably get it wrong whenever anyone asked about it anyway and have to constantly defend myself from being labeled a wannabe...DOG damn it.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 13:24   #21
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
It sounds a little gay to me.
BUT, it might work this way, "I went to the Q course 11 classes after the last hard one."
Or maybe there could be a "tradition" that all odd numbered classes must buy the beer for all classes with numbers evenly divisible by 7 unless the first class number is also evenly divisible 21 but only when the bar has an even number of beer on tap, unless the majority of beers served are German then the obligation is reversed and they have to get up and get all the free popcorn. Unless the waitress is blond and then the obligation reverts to the original (except on Fridays with even numbered dates).

The hell with this. . . , lets just play CRUD or Thumper for beer.

Wait a minute, assuming 7 classes per year then 247 classes only takes you back 35 years.
My diploma just has the dates 2 July - 21 November 1986 (signed by Col McClure and BG Guest)
Woah! Dude, my birth month is 7 and my birthdate is 21! What do I win??
Old 02-11-2010, 13:43   #22
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It means you’re Gay - you win a Barbara Streisand Album and a trip to a Boise dude ranch.

Last edited by Mitch; 02-11-2010 at 13:45.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 14:36   #23
Mgrayfox
Quiet Professional

I don't remember my class number either, but I do remember reporting to A Co
6th Grp and meeting Company SGM Bobby Tigert. The first words out of his mouth were, "Okay, what did you do wrong?" I was just a PFC and he thought that I had screwed up and gotten busted before my assignment to his company. I explained to him that I had always been a PFC since I graduated from AIT at Fort Gordon. He said, "We don't need a PFC in this company!" I thought for a moment that I was headed for the 82nd. But, he said, "You're are authorized two weeks leave and that when I returned I would have SP4 orders waiting and I did. He was a great SGM and he assigned me to my B team with SGM "PIGPEN" Kimmet (sp?). SGM Kimmet retired and SGM "BULL" William J. Fuller took over the B team. That was in Sept 1968. But it does seem like it was yesterday! Good memories!

Johnny
Mgrayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 14:59   #24
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
your team buys all the beer all the time no matter what!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:24   #25
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrayfox View Post
I don't remember my class number either, but I do remember reporting to A Co
6th Grp and meeting Company SGM Bobby Tigert. The first words out of his mouth were, "Okay, what did you do wrong?" I was just a PFC and he thought that I had screwed up and gotten busted before my assignment to his company. I explained to him that I had always been a PFC since I graduated from AIT at Fort Gordon. He said, "We don't need a PFC in this company!" I thought for a moment that I was headed for the 82nd. But, he said, "You're are authorized two weeks leave and that when I returned I would have SP4 orders waiting and I did. He was a great SGM and he assigned me to my B team with SGM "PIGPEN" Kimmet (sp?). SGM Kimmet retired and SGM "BULL" William J. Fuller took over the B team. That was in Sept 1968. But it does seem like it was yesterday! Good memories!

Johnny

Don't remember Tigert but remebmber Fuller very well. My B Team SGM was SGM Pylant.

Like I said earlier, no two week leave for us - just a quick trip the life of being the newest, and lowest ranking guy in the company - E-5's and below pulled KP - I remember getting lots of KP.

Last edited by Mitch; 02-12-2010 at 02:57.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 22:30   #26
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Hey Rich- I think our class number was- " Geezus It Was Cold!"
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 23:11   #27
mojaveman
Area Commander

4/84 during the Summer of 1984. We had a few heat casualties that I can remember. I have the autographs of COL Cincotti and BG Wiegand on my diploma.

Last edited by mojaveman; 02-13-2010 at 11:04.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

3-84.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 14:53   #29
SkiBumCFO
Quiet Professional

2-84. I have always said I went through the last easy class so Since TR was in the class behind me he must have gone through the first hard Class! Zonnie Diver - There definitely were not seven classes a year in the early 80s so that math doesnt work
SkiBumCFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 16:15   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumCFO View Post
2-84. I have always said I went through the last easy class so Since TR was in the class behind me he must have gone through the first hard Class! Zonnie Diver - There definitely were not seven classes a year in the early 80s so that math doesnt work
Thanks!

There were six per year from the 80s till somewhere in the 90s, then they went to four per year, because that saved money and was all we needed.

Until it wasn't, then we went back to six per year, and somewhere in the past few years, we went to eight.

Assuming that the classes were the same general size, once we are done growing the 4th battalions, what does that tell you about the number of people we are losing from SF every year?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote