Old 07-22-2004, 21:10   #31
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Diet soda is for women.

What do you infer from that?

I am now drinking beer. I prefer it to diet soda.
I am inferring that you are calling me a girlie-man because I drink diet soda.

Maybe you should ask one of the gents here with the green felt hats who know me if I strike them as effeminate?

Or just step up to the plate, and come see for yourself.

As a military servicemember, I am not permitted to drink beer during duty hours because I prefer it to diet soda. In fact, on most deployments, we are not permitted to drink at all.

Legal offices have different policies, I am sure.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:45   #32
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Maybe you should ask one of the gents here with the green felt hats who know me if I strike them as effeminate?
Uh, no.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:56   #33
magician
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
TR- Peter Tripp stayed awake for longer than that an may have suffered severe psychological repricussions as a result. Certainly, he began to experience delusions which prevented him from operating on a day-to-day basis. Experiments of sleep deprivation performed on cats suggests that sleep deprivation will eventually kill you.
Wow. Maybe that is why I am so fucked up.

Who is Peter Tripp?
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:39   #34
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

Google:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...hiftwork/96742

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/p980301b.html

Several articles on Tripp blame his divorces and many jobs on the sleep-dep stunt, but the payola scandal broke at the same time so it may be the case that the poor character came first. I dunno.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 13:05   #35
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Yep! It's important to note the immediate effects of delusion and dementia, though... Those were definetly caused by the sleep deprivation.

Interestingly, although not necessarily applicable to PS boardmembers, one way of staying awake is to remove the presence of 'zeitgebers' from your working environment. Zeitgebers are 'time givers', or both ontogenous and exogenous factors which trigger cycles within your body (like the sleep cycle). While we try to alter our internal sleep cycle with caffeine and other drugs, we can also alter those external factors. Try eating dinner later, or continuing to eat food while working. Also, work under artificial light with no sight of the outside world. Controlled temperature can also help, as can a maintained level of background noise. Controlling these factors gives you a degree of control over your bodily cycles, like the sleep cycle.

Solid

Last edited by Solid; 07-23-2004 at 14:16.
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 14:33   #36
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

I read a book once. (Imagine that) The book was a tribute to some Rangers and some "Special" Soldiers about a now famous event. In this book they briefly dropped the word the "Drone Zone". It was described that the Drone Zone occured after you have been awake for more than 24hrs and how these "Special" Soldiers were trained to work right through the Drone Zone with little effect on there work.

Also in Billy Waughs book he says that he usually only got a few hours of sleep a night like 3-4 hours a night day in and day out without it effecting his quality of work.

My questions is not if this is true or not but, can you do it? Can you train yourself to be able to stay awake for 36-48hrs without it seriously effecting your skills? Whatever they maybe such as being a Lawyer in RL's case, Cop, a Soldier, a Mechanic or a Doctor.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 14:49   #37
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

No trouble staying awake here... insomonia.

Other than sleeping pills (not something I want to try), any suggestions for countering it?
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 15:02   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

PT
Take a HOT shower or bath about an hour before you need to be asleep
Don't eat heavy at night
Limit TV, computer and video time late
Read
PT
Avoid tea, coke and caffeine after lunch
check stress levels
deep breathing

I have it too. PT helps me more than anything else.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 16:05   #39
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I suffered from sleeplessness about a month ago. Much depends on if it arises from physical or psychological causes. Are you particularly stressed about anything?

Melatonin pills are natural and may have a positive effect, so you might want to give them a shot.

Solid
Old 07-23-2004, 19:55   #40
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

I still get insomnia even though I haven't worked shifts for 6 weeks now.

It sucks big time. But on the up side, I think better at night now.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 20:19   #41
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

Thanks for the input.

Haven't tried melatonin - had tried kava-kava, but read it is unhealthy after all so dropped it. Hardly ever have caffeine after 19:00. Don't eat much in evening. Not an aerobics bunny - mostly walking and pilates. (Note: Female push-ups at 40 are guaranteed the winning $10,000 on 'Funniest Home Videos, aren't they?) "Not allowed," to read in bed. LOL - total black-out rules apply for my hard working guy. Fair enough.

Pattern: Can not let go the need to be in a constant state of awareness/alert. I can be dead tired, nodding and almost out, then snap fully awake and head out on the prowl for glitches in the matrix or new incoming information. This pattern repeats over and over nightly. Years of on call or being the "go to... " ??

Long/short: I am certain the key in my case is in learning skills to turn the switch to "off" when it is not mission critical. Brain vs. body. Body tires, brain doesn't as it should.

I can't think of a better place to learn skills related to this type of behavior than here. It feels quite lame to post whines in this arena when it comes to job stress or responsibility, but if I can't learn from the knowledge and experience here, I can't learn skills anywhere. Shoot at will - Kevlar donned.

Sock it to me...

Last edited by Pandora; 07-23-2004 at 21:35.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:45   #42
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I think I am familiar with the state you describe. I found that intense, almost destructive, PT drained my body so effectively that my brain, while still alert, could NOT prevent my body from going to sleep. My PT schedule involved half marathons and ridiculous systems of pressups, situps, and explosive sports like basketball. Within two days, I was sleeping again.

On the other hand, however, I found that my sleep was not necessarily good sleep- I would wake up continuously during the night (maybe a result of the brain?) but over time this faded and now I sleep fine.

You might also want to see a work-stress psychologist for possible behavioural treatments?

Melatonin is a naturally occuring substance within the brain which is involved in the sleep-shutdown cycle. Supplementing it in the short term will not have any negative effects, although your body might become dependent in the long term.

HTH,

Solid
Old 07-24-2004, 05:18   #43
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
I am inferring that you are calling me a girlie-man because I drink diet soda.

Or just step up to the plate, and come see for yourself.

As a military servicemember, I am not permitted to drink beer during duty hours because I prefer it to diet soda. In fact, on most deployments, we are not permitted to drink at all.

Legal offices have different policies, I am sure.

TR
My felt hat's not green... However,

Having met The Reaper, I wouldn't refer to him as "effeminate". I wouldn't recommend it either.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambush Master
We were issued "Green Hornets" time released amphetamine !!!
You could go for days !!!
I used something along those lines during OIF during a mission. I don't know if the ones Doc had were extra strength or what, but I didn't like the side effects.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:07   #44
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

Thanks, Solid.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:02   #45
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe

Also in Billy Waughs book he says that he usually only got a few hours of sleep a night like 3-4 hours a night day in and day out without it effecting his quality of work.
I've been doing the same for most of my life. Sleeping more than 6 hours a night actually results in me being tired the next day.
I assume that it is due to natural sleep cycles and need (individuals vary). I do remember being told once that the body needs 2 hours of sleep per 24 for those bodily functions mentioned, the balance of the time needed was for psychological reasons.