Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 04-21-2010, 18:30   #61
Kansas
SF Candidate

Location: Pensacola, Fl. by way of KCMO. Born in Hutchinson, Ks.
Bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Green Light- Exactly. If I had wanted to be rich, I would have stayed in school...
Exactly... I was less than two years from being a Doctor but had this inner turmoil that kept telling me that SF was my calling. I finally listened to the warrior within. Bonus??? I think my recruiter gave me .50 cents and a jawbreaker. It will be all that much sweeter when I walk accross the stage and shake hands with my mentors welcoming me into the brotherhood.
Old 04-21-2010, 19:39   #62
Green Light
Quiet Professional

If they make you an 18D, the rest of med school is gonna be a whole lot easier.
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 20:53   #63
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Exactly... I was less than two years from being a Doctor but had this inner turmoil that kept telling me that SF was my calling. I finally listened to the warrior within. Bonus??? I think my recruiter gave me .50 cents and a jawbreaker. It will be all that much sweeter when I walk accross the stage and shake hands with my mentors welcoming me into the brotherhood.
Jesus Christ, somebody should drop a rock on your foot.

Watch them make him an Echo...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:05   #64
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 13:25   #65
Kansas
SF Candidate

Location: Pensacola, Fl. by way of KCMO. Born in Hutchinson, Ks.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post

Yes, someone probably should have dropped a rock on my foot but I still feel comfortable with my decision. They can make me whatever they want as long as I'm selected. I would learn to do that job just as well as I would an 18D. I hope I'll become an 18D but you never know!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19   #66
Jessec760
Asset

First off, please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before.
I have searched on this site and a few other army sites with no effect.

I go to BCT AUG252010. I am training hard everyday and i am hoping for a chance to take the SF selection and "Q" course. I enlisted as a 11X. My SSG tells me since i am entering OSUT as a E-3 i have a chance to talk to a SF Recruiter at the end of OSUT provided i do very well on my APFT, because they will consider waiving your pay grade to attend.

Could a QP please tell me if this is correct. I trust him, it is just that he was in years ago and i am not sure if anything has changed. I posted in this thread because it relates in a way to 18X so i did not start a new thread. Also would i need to change my enlistment option to 18X? Any answers, advice, or opinions you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I dont mind if i have to wait awhile to apply after i enlist as 11X. I just want to know because if it ends up being that i have to take the iniative (if they dont come to the barracks or classrooms) and go and speak with them on my own time i would like to know. I wouldnt want to miss out on something so important to me. Thank you for any answers or advice you can help me with.

Last edited by Jessec760; 05-04-2010 at 12:09.
Jessec760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:33   #67
Richard
Quiet Professional

Once again - ask these guys your question.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/SORB_SPECIALFORCES.html

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51   #68
Jessec760
Asset

Thank you.
Jessec760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 17:30   #69
SB_Pete
Asset

For what it's worth:
Signed: 20100430
Ship: 20100914

Took the CLRP and got a High Grad Bonus (60+ Semester Credits) of $2k

While I agree that one would be stupid, foolhardy, or possibly scheming something to sign 18X based on the bonus, it is nice to know what Uncle Sugar is offering these days. Wouldn't want to miss out on free money and all

When I was at MEPS, the MEPS Counselor almost put through my papers without the $2k. He didn't know it was there to give. My recruiter had told me about it though so I asked him to look and sure enough... bonus money.

Hope that helps,
-Pete
SB_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:52   #70
DI-BLUE
Asset

Bonus?!

Ha! I would have been happy for a contract, but alas as i don't turn 20 till November. My recruiter told me i can do a year of college and sign next may or roll the dice and enlist as 11b and hope for the best. I of course paid my non-refundable deposit for the 2010-11 school year and the next day he got a memo saying that you only have to be 20 at the end of OUST, go me. May as well take it as an opportunity to train and get some better mentoring in, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Bonus??? I think my recruiter gave me .50 cents and a jawbreaker.
And I feel you on that Kansas i got a small bag full of Army swag and a pocket full of dreams for next spring.
DI-BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 15:18   #71
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Sometimes when I read this thread, I sit back and sigh heavily.
Sometimes with a smile.
Sometimes not.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39   #72
Voronov
SF Candidate

Signing bonus...
A co-worker of my recruiter at the time gave me his time, opinion, and a few tips on how to push my body more to the limits so that I had a better shot at SF, but as for money... nothing. (Well.. except the running shoes.)
I signed for 18x with the sheer intent with shaking The Reapers hand, if I wanted to sound like a kiss-ass. But in honesty just the thought that I had a chance to wear that green beret one day. The final, possible, 3% chance of that reward was my sign on bonus.

18x isn't for the money, as i'm sure has been stated in this thread 1000 times.
Hell, I live off less than 900 a month when not on active duty, so don't let anyone fool you that you'll be rolling in the dough.

Voronov
Voronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:43   #73
the cpl
Asset

wow

I'm going back in the army after getting 2 purple heart and learning to walk again. I'm going unto the 18x program and haven't even asked for a bounus it not about the money you want money go be a banker.
the cpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 22:22   #74
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cpl View Post
I'm going back in the army after getting 2 purple heart and learning to walk again. I'm going unto the 18x program and haven't even asked for a bounus it not about the money you want money go be a banker.
cpl:

This is not where your first post should go.

Please review the rules, post your intro in the proper place, and fill out your profile.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28   #75
TUS493
SF Candidate

Forget The Bonus, its Irrelevant

I got a bonus for re-enlisting into the NG.

Now that I am moving over to SF, I am fully prepared to give every cent of it back, and to do it with a smile, if SF will have me, that is...

After you have been in the Army for a minute or two, you will realize that the money and/or financial incentives you recieve will only lead you astray from where you really want to go.

The money doesn't keep your heart in the fight, or your feet moving one in front of the other when all you want to do is stop.

Sign up for what you really want. If they happen to give you extra pay for it, just be grateful.
TUS493 is offline   Reply With Quote