Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 16:51   #61
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SoldierDad View Post
Religion sucks...
Some words on that very subject from Samuel Langhorn Clemens:

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.

- Autobiography of Mark Twain

We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.

- Following the Equator

So much blood has been shed by the Church because of an omission from the Gospel: "Ye shall be indifferent as to what your neighbor's religion is." Not merely tolerant of it, but indifferent to it. Divinity is claimed for many religions; but no religion is great enough or divine enough to add that new law to its code.

- Mark Twain, a Biography

My land, the power of training! Of influence! Of education! It can bring a body up to believe anything.

- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

We are all missionaries (propagandists of our views.) Each of us disapproves of the other missionaries.

- Notebook, 1905

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 05-25-2008, 17:18   #62
3SoldierDad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

So much blood has been shed by the Church because of an omission from the Gospel: "Ye shall be indifferent as to what your neighbor's religion is." Not merely tolerant of it, but indifferent to it. Divinity is claimed for many religions; but no religion is great enough or divine enough to add that new law to its code.

- Mark Twain, a Biography

We are all missionaries (propagandists of our views.) Each of us disapproves of the other missionaries.

- Notebook, 1905

Richard, very nice, indeed. I like these two, especially.

It is a lesson to consider that the greatest praise for any man in the bible is the high praise accorded to a simple Roman Soldier.

The Great I AM was "Amazed" at him.

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

- Mark Twain
Old 05-25-2008, 17:31   #63
MAB32

Ahhh, but Christianity is so simple that allot of people will still never make it to heaven because they believe man knows more than Jesus.

Last edited by MAB32; 05-25-2008 at 17:34.

Old 05-25-2008, 17:36   #64
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Ahhh, but Christianity is so simple that allot of people will still never make it to heaven.

Like me.

I'm beginning to grow tired of the religious (tribal) chat. If it is your desire to post regarding your tribal beliefs please do so elsewhere. I'm sure they're thousands of like minded individuals that would enjoy nothing more than to share their tribal beliefs with you all day on their bulletin boards.

Team Sergeant