Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 21:16   #31
2 Block Secured
Quiet Professional

Chaplain jumps, best jumps ever because they had coffee and donuts on the DZ.

Before MACO, the Chaplain JM handed out St. Christopher medals to all that wanted one.

During MACO he misread the briefing board and said that jump altitude will be 125 feet (it should have been 1250).

A lone voice in the back asked, "Can I have another medal please?"

We laughed.....
Old 04-29-2008, 12:05   #32
MoPro
Asset

Everybody's attitude is definitely something I fit along with; sounds just like my fraternity. This is definitely better than what it was like for me at Marine Military Academy in Harlingen TX during HS. Then again, I was one of 8 cadets there that wanted to be there vs the 400 or so that didn't (it was, after all, a military school), so I wouldn't say I was surrounded by the highest caliber of people.

I look forward to being a part of this community in a couple of years when I start my enlistment (I am finishing school now in DC - Sophomore)... and to get started I am doing the Extreme SEAL Experience (all three phases) in VA in a month

Thanks, everybody, for making me realize that an ODA is truly a group of intelligent warriors.
Old 04-29-2008, 16:41   #33
Razor
Quiet Professional

So you're planning on paying $1400 to be yelled at and miserable for several days, and then rushed through a "range" session and civilian skydiving? Have fun.
Old 04-29-2008, 17:03   #34
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
... and to get started I am doing the Extreme SEAL Experience (all three phases) in VA in a month
FWIW, you don't sound much like SF material to me. IMO, if they aren't paying you to make you miserable, you're either one of those guys PT Barnum said was born every minute and who doesn't know what to do with his hard earned money or what they're selling is slicker than owl shit and your taste buds ain't working.

Richard - been there, done that, and I ain't going anywhere or doing that again without max TDY!
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 04-29-2008, 17:23   #35
Pete
Quiet Professional

More than once

More than once, many more times than once I've been in some totally stupid situation, think rain, muck, dark of night,swamp, cold, hot, etc - and turn to the SF guy next to me and said..

"And to think civilians pay money to do this shit."
Old 04-29-2008, 17:44   #36
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
More than once..."And to think civilians pay money to do this shit."
I don't even want to remember how many times I was too hot...or too cold...or too wet...or tired...or too scared...or too bored...or my boots were too tight...or whatever. But I never paid anyone to do that to me...they paid me. And for the record--I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 04-29-2008, 18:45   #37
MoPro
Asset

It's a going away gift somebody is giving me as I am studying abroad for 18 months. I had a choice of materials things or this experience, and I chose the experience. I will admit that there is a good 300-400 dollar premium you pay for these guys (from what I have experienced researching other places covering individual topics - ), but damn, what experience to go through for a civilian. At the end of the day, I'm not paying for it - the best way to buy something is with OPM... other peoples' money.

Last edited by MoPro; 04-29-2008 at 19:05.
Old 04-29-2008, 19:39   #38
mark46th
Quiet Professional

If you want to pay to get beat up and yelled at, go to Las Vegas, find a 6' tall redhead with freckles and a big chest and give her the money...It'll be a lot more fun...And if you are really lucky, you might see god...

Last edited by mark46th; 04-29-2008 at 19:43.
Old 04-29-2008, 19:47   #39
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
If you want to pay to get beat up and yelled at, go to Las Vegas, find a 6' tall redhead with freckles and a big chest and give her the money...It'll be a lot more fun...And if you are really lucky, you might see god...
Or you can try Pat Pong.

Richard

Old 04-29-2008, 19:48   #40
MoPro
Asset

Wink OK

Quote:
...only if you pay for it

Last edited by MoPro; 04-29-2008 at 19:53. Reason: + quote
Old 04-29-2008, 20:09   #41
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Ah yes, Pat Pong. Butterfly Bar... Did you ever go to the Cellar Bar? It was owned by an ex-SEAL named Bill Book...
Old 04-29-2008, 20:49   #42
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Ah yes, Pat Pong. Butterfly Bar... Did you ever go to the Cellar Bar? It was owned by an ex-SEAL named Bill Book...
Yep--BB was pissed at George and me for barricading ourselves in the pisser with three girls one night. Customers had to use "unauthorized" areas to relieve themselves until we came out. However, the Amor was my favorite--cute Filipino who played the piano and sang "The First time Ever I Saw Your Face" in a way that made your heart melt...or mine, at least. Also left the Opera for the Miami (SEAL hangout) after a few escapades that didn't go so well. Balcony and New Stockholm in the Chinese sector were also good for an evening of fun, fighting, and...whatever. "Those were the days, my friend...we thought they'd never end"...and now we're just a group of FOGs.

Richard

Old 04-29-2008, 20:55   #43
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Did you ever go to the Cellar Bar? It was owned by an ex-SEAL named Bill Book...
Here's a pic I had of the Cellar. Remember the yellow footprints painted on the street leading down the alley to the bar?

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billbookcellarbar.jpg (8.4 KB, 126 views)

Old 04-29-2008, 21:54   #44
mark46th
Quiet Professional

You know Bill's wife shot and killed him?
Old 05-22-2008, 16:06   #45
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional

At the team level there was never a time that I saw a problem- like someone said it was team first, everything else second.

Interesting topic to me, now that we're deployed to countries wherein religion plays somewhat of a role with our enemies wrt why they are fighting. Reading "When Religion Turns Evil" while overseas made me think a little about "absolute truth" claims and other self-righteous positions that could lead to conflict. I saw two interesting things: people with little education and little religious knowledge save for what the local religious leader preached on- supporting to certain degrees "the insurgency", and US officers encouraging Christian Bible readings at meetings wherein Coalition partners were present- to include those from Moslem nations. I also saw war murals painted with Christian symbols on them in areas locals could see them- albeit on military installations. All-in-all, I think my beliefs were actually dulled a little upon encountering the average Moslem, the "average" US military Christian, and seeing similarities.

It made me think the other day- what if I was a Moslem officer in charge of a Moslem brigade deploying to South Carolina to build stability and fight the "insurgency" there. I thought I would learn English with a southern accent, learn to eat fried chicken and greens, and learn the Baptist religion- at least enough to fake it while attending revivals and prayer meetings. I don't see how I would make any progress with the people if I maintained a long beard, dressed in a ME outfit, spoke Arabic, and faced Mecca when I prayed.