Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 10-03-2006, 09:01   #16
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Schools

Most useful. SOTIC. Already attended a few Sniper Schools before this so I was able to relax and build on my skills.

Hardest. SOT. Pistol was one of my weak points so I struggled thru this one.

Most Fun. All of them pretty much. Can’t beat the antics of twenty or more SF Guys together in the same school.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:16   #17
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Hardest and most useful - SF Medical Sergeant's Reclassification Course.

Most fun - SF Light Weapons PHII (lots of rounds downrange back then)

The two that put the fear of God into me - SADM and NBC

The one that 'hurt' the most - Pre Scuba - when one of my sinuses was barometrically evacuated, and I was DQd from attempting SCUBA for 2 years.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:10   #18
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

So Demanding I Failed It

I failed MAPTOE (Management Practices in TOE Units) in early 1972 because I couldn't place the trash cans and telephones properly; or was it because I had two wisdom teeth pulled on the last day of class and started the Basic Airborne Course the next day? OK, just kidding, Colonel (about the first part, not about the teeth and jump school, that was true and I did fail it for not turning in my workplace diagram, it was almost Happy Hour at Willie's).
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 14:09   #19
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

[QUOTE=Soft Target]MAPTOE QUOTE]

Some GS18 probably made SES rank after developing this rediculous attempt to turn the military into a corporate headquarters. As I recall this had more to do with eyewash and process than performance and results and had about as much application and value in the field as a pair of spit-shinned boots.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:18   #20
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Best Course You Have Attended?

Can’t beat the antics of twenty or more SF Guys together in the same school.

Sound's like my class at the 'Bird during intel school. We ask a Marine O-4 what class he liked to work with best. Naturally we came out on top. He resaon was " you better know you subject or be prepared toget shot off the platform.".

BMT
Old 10-04-2006, 07:03   #21
optactical
Quiet Professional

Let's categorize 'em

Hardest most demanding course ever: 25th ID RIP 1997 (now shut down)
Longest, worst, gut check: Ranger (5-97)
Shortest, worst , gut check: June SFAS 1998 (black flag every day)
Easiest: Sadly it was Airborne
Worst bending of standards: IMLC
Biggest waste of time: ANCOC
Most fun, and best course: SFARTAETC
Most relaxed: SOTIC
Most professional cadre (hard choice): SERE
Most arduous: DLI
Coolest shit I've done in a mil school: Door checks over Thailand, JM

and of course, let's not forget the hardest 10 days in the Army: Air Assault (NOT!!!)
Old 10-04-2006, 08:57   #22
incommin
Quiet Professional

Most entertaining class/course- Sergeants Major Academy....I still miss the Coyote Lounge.

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38   #23
Pete
Quiet Professional

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matta mile
Fun wise without a doubt was the coveted "Inland Waterways" training in Alaska. Went there with the team during Alaskan summer. Lots of time in a motor boat on beautiful rivers. Camping and fishing in some of the most georgeous wilderness I have ever seen. Not your typical SF training.
Ditto - Summer of 1982. Things to remember - stuck my head out of the tent around 0300 (daylight) and a moose was chomping away in the creek about 30 feet from me - came out of a bar at midnight and darn near had a heart attack, the sun should not be up when you come out - and last the TMP bus got a flat and the driver didn't have the key to the lock holding the spare. I showed him how fast a Swiss Army knife saw goes through a brass lock.

Pete

Can jump a boat over trees with the best of them.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 18:11   #24
EX-Gold Falcon
Can I have a hug, please?

For those of us who have not had the opportunity to attend nearly as many schools as SOF, can we post our favorite training mission?

Travis

P.S. It was even SOF lead!!! I swear!
Old 10-05-2006, 18:34   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

It seems to me that since this is the SF Forum and the question was about schools, it would be best if QPs responded and we discuss schools.

Feel free to start a separate thread in another forum to discuss your "favorite training mission".

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 18:39   #26
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Favorite school (tie)- SFARTAETC/USASOC mountaineering course.
Least favorite- Jumpmaster
School where I most wanted to put a bullet in my head-AIMC

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 14:23   #27
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Gentlemen:

I appreciate all your answers but this thread seems to have morphed in to something other than my intention. I initialled posted this question in the 18C section because I was looking for courses specifically geared toward SF Engineering. Perhaps I should have said, "other than the MOS portion of SFQC, what course have you taken that most benefitted you as an 18C?"

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 15:36   #28
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid
Gentlemen:

I appreciate all your answers but this thread seems to have morphed in to something other than my intention. I initialled posted this question in the 18C section because I was looking for courses specifically geared toward SF Engineering. Perhaps I should have said, "other than the MOS portion of SFQC, what course have you taken that most benefitted you as an 18C?"

x/S
LOL - non-specific instructions draw non-specific results. Some FOG SF guys taught me that several times....
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 13:14   #29
optactical
Quiet Professional

There aren't that many schools geared towards 18Cs in particular, I can only think of two offhand that only Cs attend, and one you need three years of team time for.
Old 10-10-2006, 18:53   #30
uboat509
Quiet Professional

18C schools? HAZMAT and Air Load Planner.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote