Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 05-03-2006, 07:58   #46
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Long
Training must be hard to survive in combat. Standards should not be lowered.

SGM 18Z5M (Retired)
From what I have seen our troops are doing as well or better than in the past. This seems to belie some comments in reference to training.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:18   #47
Squidly
Auxiliary

Another Navy perspective albeit from 27 years ago was that boot camp was pretty easy. None of the stuff the Army and Marine recruits went through. Weapons training consisted of 1/2 day familiarization with the 1911 then firing 5-10 rounds with a .22 in a 1911 frame. The bulk of our time was spent drilling on the grinder or in class. PT everyday was a piece of cake. Just running and calisthenics. One thing San Diego did have was an impressive fire fighting school built for the fleet that the recruits used as well. That was the most realistic training we had. Toward the end of boot camp the SEALs would come over to the PT area looking for volunteers and administering PT tests for BUD/S. We had one guy volunteer that passed the test but didn't get to go to BUD/S right away. He did go a few years later and graduated in Class 125 went on to be a plankowner at ST-8 and spent a bunch of time at ST-5. He retired just a couple of years ago. Across the fence from the Navy boot camp PT area was the Marine Corp boot camp PT area. Much slinging of epithets. Both of those commands closed some years ago.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:02   #48
Martin

'Gangs claim their turf in Iraq'

M
Old 05-06-2006, 18:39   #49
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

How can a recruiter, in good faith, put a gang member in the Army? I'd publicly fry any recruiter convicted of putting gang members in. Someone finds a gang member? Trigger an investigation ...it's easy enough to trace back to which recruiter put him or her in...

That would help put an end to this crap.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 18:47   #50
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

We were having to screen some of them out at SFAS.

Not too many good reasons for an inner city kid from LA who is 19 years old to have three gunshot wounds, is there?

Problem is, if he was 28 with ten years of clean service, we might take a chance, but a year or two off the block, that is high risk.

I recommended that if they put him into the pipeline, he be restricted to 18D. Most members did not get it.

That was just one of several who came to try out.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 23:56   #51
mike pasek
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
Army Times has an article with the same title, but their interpretation of results from this new approach to training is the opposite of what is written here.

http://www.thetrumpet.com/index.php?...rticle&id=2071
this is a shame heres a video if anyone wants to watch http://youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY

I'm going rangers so does anyone know if I will be in a different group during basic training like the 18x pipeline goes through?
mike pasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:52   #52
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike pasek
this is a shame heres a video if anyone wants to watch http://youtube.com/watch?v=N5jRawaB1tY

I'm going rangers so does anyone know if I will be in a different group during basic training like the 18x pipeline goes through?
Tell me why it is a shame?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:03   #53
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike pasek

Hey, stud, why don't you just wait and report back after you've gone through it yourself? Better yet, be sure to explain to your Drill Sergeants that you're "going rangers", they'll probably give you a big wet kiss and ruffle your hair.

That video bears no relation to the BCT that I attended: 4-6 hrs sleep, no cell phones, no "seconds" in the DFAC (as though you'd want them), plenty of yelling and remediation. It's going to be what it's going to be, just learn to drive on.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:12   #54
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

It can't be all that bad. The troops seem to be performing admirably in hostile conditions.

misery is optional.

Last edited by QRQ 30; 06-29-2007 at 07:14.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:22   #55
Cold Steel
Asset

When I went through basic at Ft. Benning 2/58 my battle buddy was a chap named Mike Moyer. Nice enough kid that meant well but didn’t really pull it together as he should have during his time at basic. Those of you familiar with sand hill might recognize that name because of Moyer Hall, which was named after his father, a retired general, who would call the company CP desk to see how his son was doing. No BS story, during week 7 my DS was handing out mail and called my last name, stopped and said “I don’t have a xxxxxxx in my f-ing platoon.” Looked at me and said “oh, Moyer’s battle buddy”. I left for split-op basic training weighing 135 and in 9 weeks came home at 165.
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:35   #56
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
It can't be all that bad. The troops seem to be performing admirably in hostile conditions.
Is that due the training recieved in BCT or the training at the unit level? BCT, I've always thought, was a filtering process to insure the recieving unit had something better to work with.
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42   #57
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf11b_p
Is that due the training recieved in BCT or the training at the unit level? BCT, I've always thought, was a filtering process to insure the recieving unit had something better to work with.
I dunno but the final product seems to be pretty good across the board from unit to unit.
Things were ALWAYS tougher and better back in OUR days.

When I was in we complained about having to put gas in a jeep when we could just put a feed bag on a mule.

misery is optional.

Old 06-29-2007, 17:17   #58
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
When I was in we complained about having to put gas in a jeep when we could just put a feed bag on a mule.
LOL, Terry, I'd sign up for some muleteer (?) lessons any day. Just seems like something useful to have in the 'ol bag of tricks.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 19:31   #59
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

I thought Basic was going to be harder than it was, I was a little disappointed that it turned out to be fairly easy and that was in 1985. There were a few that showed talking about how easy it was going to be for them and how tough they were, those were the ones that seemed to have the hardest time or didnt make it to graduation. I dont know how these Soldiers are doing when they first show up at their units, but I had the great privilege of meeting quite a few young Soldiers in Iraq and I was not disappointed at all, quite the contrary.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 19:57   #60
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
My dad said he was in when they use to get gigged for having buffalo shit on their boots.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote