Old 08-22-2005, 11:00   #31
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
Okay, so I suck at photography. Normally I take a pretty good picture but snakes scare the shit out of me. I had no intentions of getting any closer to the bastard.

I'm 80% sure of the identity. When I kill the bastard and cut off its head I'll know for sure.

Kudos to Dan. Banded water snake. This one is usually confused with the cotton mouth. The body shapes are the same, that's what threw me initially. The head is also slightly triangle shaped. The rat was most likely constricted, as this snake is non-venomous. That would jive with the labored breathing and such.

This is what he looked like to me at 630 this morning. Very similar to a cotton mouth. I have killed a couple of those around the house.
Why would you kill it?

Banded water snakes are harmless to humans. And are you sure the rat's death wasn't a coincidence? Banded water snakes don't generally eat rats; they prefer water-dwelling food like fish, frogs and crawdads.

Also, how big was the one you saw? From the coloring of the bands, I'd say it was little more than a baby. Baby-killer!

I grew up in Florida. Florida is great for snakes; we've got both tropical and temperate climate ones. There is no reason but irrational fear or sadism to kill a snake that isn't harmful to humans, and many reasons not to (the most important being pest, especially rodent, control). Kill a rabbit before you kill a snake; rabbits are far more of a pest. Note that this isn't coming from sentimental snake-love: kill any rattler, water mocassin, cottonmouth or coral snake you come across.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 20:08   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer
kill any rattler, water mocassin, cottonmouth or coral snake you come across.
Isn't a water moccasin and a cottonmouth the same snake?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 20:24   #33
CoLawman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper

TR
Yep!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 20:30   #34
Airbornelawyer

You're right. Copperhead was the other "C" one I meant.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 21:45   #35
ghuinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer
Why would you kill it?

Banded water snakes are harmless to humans. And are you sure the rat's death wasn't a coincidence? Banded water snakes don't generally eat rats; they prefer water-dwelling food like fish, frogs and crawdads.

Also, how big was the one you saw? From the coloring of the bands, I'd say it was little more than a baby. Baby-killer!

I grew up in Florida. Florida is great for snakes; we've got both tropical and temperate climate ones. There is no reason but irrational fear or sadism to kill a snake that isn't harmful to humans, and many reasons not to (the most important being pest, especially rodent, control). Kill a rabbit before you kill a snake; rabbits are far more of a pest. Note that this isn't coming from sentimental snake-love: kill any rattler, water mocassin, cottonmouth or coral snake you come across.
Agree with you. We picked up some rat snakes for the farm because poison just wasn't working.
The snakes are now 6' long and very happy . I hate rats.

Banded water snake - that must have been what I disturbed the other day. Reddish-brown and yellow bands. He wouldn't go away; had to poke him with a longeing whip.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55   #36
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

K-

Your pictures suck. Not only is it hard to see the eyes, but you need one from above or some other angle where you can see the shape of the head.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:05   #37
Kyobanim

Next time I'll ask the fooking snake to pose

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 13:33   #38
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Its worth killing twice.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 14:32   #39
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
K-

Your pictures suck. Not only is it hard to see the eyes, but you need one from above or some other angle where you can see the shape of the head.
Come on RL, tell us how you really feel about his photographic ability. Seems that I recall an event with a video cam not to long ago that produced mixed results, but then I am getting old and am probably confusing that episode with someone else
Old 08-23-2005, 15:41   #40
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
Come on RL, tell us how you really feel about his photographic ability. Seems that I recall an event with a video cam not to long ago that produced mixed results, but then I am getting old and am probably confusing that episode with someone else
And no one gave me a hard time about it either.

No one complained about the still photos I took -- those are easy compared to 24-hour digital recording to a hard drive!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 21:32   #41
Brother Rat
Auxiliary

While we're all posting photos and stories of snakes, I caught this one that my mom found in her garden. Little baby copperhead.
[img=http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/5642/10001879ft.th.jpg]
Take Care,
BR
Brother Rat is offline   Reply With Quote