Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 03-25-2009, 15:32   #1
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Travel

Since my hunting trip got cancelled for a family vacation I started to wonder what people would take on a trip in today’s environment for emergency/protection and having to deal with TSA, U.S. Customs, foriegn customs, etc...

So here you go:
You and your family, wife and 1 child, are traveling OCONUS.
Destination 1: Costa Rica you will be traveling for 10 days, 2 different hotels, one in the mountains and one on the beach. Its summer time and you have to of course follow the local laws and deal with local and U.S. Customs.

Destination 2: Europe. You will be traveling for 14 days, 3 different hotels, at least one border crossing once on the continent. Time of year is summer

You will have a rental car, plus public transportation. Taking day trips around the city/country side returning to the hotel every night.

What would you take with you? What would you pick up in country? What other considerations?
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 20:12   #2
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Things to carry, for me

Guns, of course , are out.
First thing is a knife. carry one or two in shipped baggage.
If you need to then Buy some local. They don't have to be collectors, but lethal.
Cheyenne pepper in shortened straws with paper plugs in the ends to be blown on an aggressor. always be looking for hand weapons around you. From chop sticks to tightly rolled magizines that can be used effectively in ones face etc.
Just a couple of Blitzzz things,

A list:
Sharpen a couple of CDs -to cut face and throat
a couple of sharp writing pens- when held base in the palm and point off the end of your fingers can be forced into ones throat.
Small piece of 550 cord in a pocket for strangling
A long zip tie if applied quickly and tightened will remove an assailent.
Of course every one needs a good walking staff.
a heavy belt buckle on a thin belt-- is easily removed from you pants.
Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 03-25-2009 at 22:30.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Just to add a couple points..
  • GSM Cell phone with a cheap local SIMM card, I've been using Orange in UK & EU. You can pick one up at most international airports after you go thru customs. OR, you can pic one up before you leave, get 20-30 USD pre-loaded into the card. Rates can be .10 @ min local.
  • weapons, knives, they are getting very tight, most EU has allowed up to 3 inch blades. Not the UK, they will try to convict even if you have a nail file and use it in defense.. As suggested,, buy local & expect to be confiscated.
  • weapons, other, I started noticing college kids carrying carabineers on their day packs(carry-ons), they go thru TSA no problamo!!! A large screw gate is a Fist Full...
  • GPS, for driving and POI, do be careful you don't drive off a cliff. In raul areas they tend to be problematic. I've used my Tom-Tom in the UK and had problems, but I will not drive there with-out it..
  • If you have the budget, get a bunch of the ultra light shorts/pants/shirts made in the UV and/or bug proof material. They wash in a sink, dry in an hour, and you can pack a weeks worth in a day ruck.
  • invest in a good pair of walking sandals/kayak water shoes, well padded, I have an old pair of Teva Raptors(?). Very comfortable on long hot days. They are the only shoes I have that don't stink in salt water.. You will look like a GEEK,, get over it..
  • a good supply of local 120v to 240v plug adapters, check each country.
  • small in cup water heater, for coffey. All the free-bees you get in the US hotels are slim to none in most other countries.
  • extra digital camera media. My Cannon uses the same micro SD card as my phone. Two(2) 2GB cards equal thousands of pictures..
  • Extra: small laptop, use as back-up camera film, also the UBS port can charge cameras, phones, gps.. Carry a couple extra blank CD, impress your hosts by giving a copy of your pictures before you leave..
  • DO NOT ALLOW WIFE OR DAUGHTER(s) TO PACK MORE THAN 10 PAIR of shoes and accompanying wardrobe,, nuff said??
  • no white or black socks with dress shoes..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21   #4
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

jj: what about black AND white socks with sandals?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46   #5
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
jj: what about black AND white socks with sandals?
You mean like these? http://www.western-supplies.com/imag...hite-socks.jpg

(image copyrighted, please do not post here)

Good info in thread. I am reading.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:00   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
You mean like these? Good info in thread. I am reading.

Mr Bill has the right idea.. Cheaper than sun screen..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29   #7
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

If there are ANY QP's that could look good in them socks...... I retired way to late or early.

On a serious reply though, I like Blitz ideas, the CD one is esp interesting and disturbing

Would any one consider taking or getting the same type of supplies (tier 1-2) like those listed in the "Be Preared" thread? Im thinking that would be a bit much to carry in thses scenarios.

Last edited by JoeyB; 04-02-2009 at 09:31.
Old 04-14-2009, 13:16   #8
Defend
Guerrilla

Exclamation Advice Needed ASAP

This thread is the closest to my situation that I could find, so I hope you don't mind if I tack onto it. Here is my situation in general terms. If details will help with tailored advice, please PM me.

- Females living in Middle East
- Stalker (former friend of the females)
- Has taken the situation to a physically aggressive level

I happened to be in the right place at the right time to prevent a forced entry once (having a big bark certainly helps), but I can't exactly move in and provide 24 hour watch. Here's the security situation as it stands now:

- Police are aware of issue (promised a sub 5 minute response in the future)
- Females are fit, but not quite trained killers
- Obviously firearms are out of the question as the females are foreign
- There are neighbors in the same building, but they were of no help during the "situation"
- Likely that the stalker is armed (I believe he had a glass object with him before, but likely has access/authority to carry a firearm)

I was pleased to see that a good bit of what had been posted so far was what I was already doing for myself, and will be improvising/implementing a bit more of it for the girls, some of it perfect for the situation but not a complete solution.

The pepper straws are genius... maybe I'm just dense, but I had never thought of that. I was kicking myself for not stocking up on pepper spray pens to give to friends over here. Will be taking advantage of some local spices...

I use 550 cord as a keychain now, and was glad to have it and my 3 5/8 inches of 440 steel when it looked like I was about to get stuck up against an aggressor.

Working on forming some 550 into a quick release bracelet that a girl can wear discretely. If anybody has suggestions for that (or another material to use that is less bulky) please give input. A necklace from other material would be easier, but has its own problems. Any suggestions of hair accessories that could be used for defense (I've never had to think about hair accessories... lol)

I'm also going to be buying some new SIM cards from multiple providers, putting the essential emergency numbers in them, and loading with plenty of minutes to be carried as backups.

I already advised them to keep a ball point pen handy at all times. The girls saw the tools I whipped out of my bag/pockets/behind my belt (550/keys, knife, pen, hard bound book), but when dealing with a much stronger aggressor, I'm not sure what to arm them with that will be more beneficial than harmful. Maybe some of you with instruction experience can help me with that one.

I'm also looking for techniques to secure a thin door. Replacement isn't an option. Single deadbolt. Hollow. Cement walls. Tiny doorframe. My best idea so far is to drill into the cement and put brackets for a 2x4 to go across. Not sure whether to place it just above the handle, just below the handle, or to put one each at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions.

Another issue is escape. If it were me, I would get rappelling essentials and a stack of 2x4's bolted together that could be used as a hasty brace across the window (actually working on pulling that together for my own place). But without experience, I could see it turning into a nightmare (read 3 story fall) for them instead of a good escape route. Any recommendations on home build collapsing ladders? The way the building lays, there is a 2m x 2m opening in the center that all apartments have small windows looking into, giving an option of getting into a neighbors apartment below without being exposed to the outside. This layout is actually common here, and applicable in many situations.

Also, mobile situations. They are reliant on public transportation. This means taxi waits, walks to busier streets etc. He knows their schedules and therefore the creep has way too much opportunity to isolate them day or night. I know that this part has been covered before, but any suggestions tailored to the environment would be appreciated.

As far as legalities, there are a few issues involved. 1) The stalker has influence (PM for details) 2) I don't know the local laws. I've gotten many different stories on what you can and cannot do, what you can and cannot have, etc. Asking somebody who would actually know for sure would raise my profile - something I'm avoiding. 3) We're dealing with Arab Police... who (no offense intended to anybody) tend to be easily swayed at the sight of bank notes.

Thanks in advance for input.
-JD
Defend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 23:17   #9
armymom1228

JD, why don't your Friends just move to a different apt? It would help to stop the problem. In the case of a stalker with influence. It will only stop when someone is hurt or dead. Moving is a much simpler way to at least stop it short term or permanently.

If you look around you, there is an almost endless supply of weapons.. anything you can pick up and throw or hit with.

I carry a purse sized hair spray in my pocket all the time. Completely legal, spraying lacquer and alcohol into someones face is going to give me enough time to get away. A big purse can be a weapon. keys put between the fingers and used in a slashing manner to cut a face are good. barrettes opened up can be stabbed into the eyes.

If you are not squeamish, stick your finger(s) up there nose hard.. amazing reaction one can get..

Doors: you can try to put a board across the door, but if the wall is thin as well, they can probably kick the door in anyway. A wedge might be a way to reinforce the door..you know the chair under the door knob principle.

I know you are concerned for your Friends. Keep it to their level of comfort and experience. Will they be terrified or have the guts to Garrot someone. I doubt it.. remember the culture too and that woman are generally guilty even if they have done nothing wrong.

If they have to be out at night, don't let them walk down a sidewalk..walk in the middle of the street. daylight the edge of the sidewalk traffic side, not next to a building. Stay away from areas known to be haunts of their stalkers.
Don't bet on the cops being there any faster the next time than the first time.

I motion detectors when they are gone.. they make portable battery operated ones..

A lot of suggestions require seconds or minutes to implement, one may or may not have that kind of time... its one of the reasons I carry that hair spray and pretty much always have something with a pocket that I can hide, keys or hair spray. There can be no argument that hair spray is not legal and no a preplanned defensive weapon. another neat trick is my little led duck.. blind the sucker (and they get to hear quack, quack) bright light in the eyes, even in daylight is disorienting for a second or two.. all you need to get away and start running.. tell them to carry nothing in a pack or purse that they cannot throw away..and run.. Id, money,keys, in the pockets or a small change purse that fits in a pocket.. and I carry them separate always from my purse.

If I can help, pm me..
AM
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55   #10
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Aside from all the other types of SD already discussed, I'm personally sold on the flashlight. Prefereably with strobe capabilities.

Just bought one of these for myself. The strobe is quite nauseating and the bevel is meatier than the one on my Surefire E2E, PS version.

I work in a place where a blade over 1 inch is considered a weapon, so the flashlights are my choice to carry at work and to/from work.

LL
Old 05-04-2009, 14:35   #11
rocknrolla
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
GPS, for driving and POI, do be careful you don't drive off a cliff. In raul areas they tend to be problematic. I've used my Tom-Tom in the UK and had problems, but I will not drive there with-out it..
I had not considered this, but it is an excellent item to have while travelling abroad. I use my tomtom here in the States, and do not leave town without it. Like JJ said, they can have issues at times in dense cities, but generally it isnt a problem. Some points worth noting regarding the use of a GPS:

-If you purchase the GPS here in the States you will have to download or purchase additional maps for EU or intended destination. Once purchased, make sure relevant maps are updated.

-While i have never had any problems with my TomTom, i know friends who have had theirs go critical. It is a great supplement to a local map, never a substitute.

-That being said, these things have tons of great features that will make your trip safer and much, much easier. The last thing you want is to take a wrong in an unfamiliar city and have to pull over for 10 minutes to read a map, especially at night with the kids/wife sleeping beside you. If you take a wrong turn, these things will automatically re-route you and get you back on track. Also, at any time you can search for hotels, medical facilities, police stations, restaurants, and many other "Points of Intrest" near you or along your route.

-Many car rental companies offer these units now at an additional fee if you don't want to go through the trouble of buying and updating one on your own.

Hope this info was of some help. Have a fun & safe trip!
rocknrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 16:00   #12
etgwynn
Quiet Professional

travel defense

beleive it or not, a stout cane such as can be purchased from cold steel is perfectly legal on domestic flights and likely on international flights as well.

the second/third story escape route best used is a jacob's ladder vice a rappel system.
etgwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 19:45   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by etgwynn View Post
beleive it or not, a stout cane such as can be purchased from cold steel is perfectly legal on domestic flights and likely on international flights as well.

the second/third story escape route best used is a jacob's ladder vice a rappel system.

Let me guess.

You missed reading the board rules and stickies, and decided just to jump right in and dispense advice?

Please do as requested and comply before posting again.

Thank you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:54   #14
Pete
Quiet Professional

Put this together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defend View Post
- Females living in Middle East
- Stalker (former friend of the females)
- Has taken the situation to a physically aggressive level
- Likely that the stalker is armed (I believe he had a glass object with him before, but likely has access/authority to carry a firearm)
1) The stalker has influence
3) We're dealing with Arab Police... who (no offense intended to anybody) tend to be easily swayed at the sight of bank notes.
JD

I cut out the chatter. Read the above again, slowly.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote