Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 05-09-2004, 18:32   #31
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

QRQ:

I think in Jeremiah Johnson, he asks Redford in the cabin about knowing how to skin a griz, then goes outside and comes running back in with one hot on his tail. He dives out the back window and tells him to skin that one.

Dialogue:

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Can you skin Griz?

Jeremiah Johnson: I can skin 'em as fast as you can catch 'em.

Bear Claw runs through the cabin with a huge Grizzly Bear close behind and jumps out the back window.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Skin that one, greenhorn and I'll get you another!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025

Last edited by The Reaper; 05-09-2004 at 18:34.
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 18:41   #32
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

That's way too good. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you guys. Bill
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 18:56   #33
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

True story here, I have several friends who cut timber in Alaska. This would be on the very wet southeastern part of the state near Canada. They liked to try and save as much money as they could so they would pitch a tent near the job and camp out. Under any conditions this would be called a rough camp. One of the newcomers ( a Northwest Timber cutter) to Alaska expressed a strong fear of bears. It goes without saying these guys lived in Brown bear country. They'd had a few Browns around the camp looking for easy food (I'm not blaming the bears one bit). This must be the first time this ever happend but the boys had a few drinks and afterwards decided to have some fun with their buddy. When he went to sleep they wired some bacon to his leg, bacon was left about 10 feet outside the tent. They woke up in the middle of the night to the buddy screaming and being dragged backward out of the tent. They kinda had to do some tricky shooting to save the buddy. I'm not laughing, this wasn't funny. This is my same friend who would throw rocks at a full grown brown in camp at thirty feet distance to make him go away, he didn't want to have to shoot.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:46   #34
Maple Flag
Auxiliary

Desert Fox,

I think you are handicapping yourself needlessly. I am not a lawyer, but I am involved in law enforcement and what you say about blades >6" and possession of OC spray is only partly correct - the wrong part.

Neither OC spray nor long blades are restricted or prohibited in Canada. The applicable charge used for people who carry these things is known in short for as "Possession - Weapons Dangerous". The relavant section of the Criminal Code of Canada is here:

Possession Offences

Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose
88. (1) Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence.

Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

The key factor for culpability here is whether your possession of the item was dangerous to the public peace. If you're carrying a big knife or OC spray in a populated area where there is no justifiable need ("justifiable" to the courts, not you), you can get dinged on this charge. Arguing they are for self defence (ie: repel attack by human) is NOT justifiable. On the other hand, postal workers in the city carry OC for protection against dogs. This IS justifiable.

If you are in the back country, I don't see that either a big knife or OC spray would be found to be dangerous to the public peace. On the other hand, if you walk into a department store with either on you, you may well by-pass the checkout line and go directly to jail.

The 6" blade rule is a tool used in law enforcement (probably based on old case law) to determine whether the knife by itself is "dangerous to the public peace" in a non-wilderness setting (ie: would the average person be alarmed to see this hanging on someone's belt). In reality, if you have a knife with a 3" blade and are handling it in such a manner as to alarm the local population, you could probably be convicted of this, regardless of the blade length.

In closing, the above is my understanding and experience with Canadian law on these issues, but I an NOT giving legal advice. Check with a real lawyer if you want to be sure.

Sorry for the long winded response. I hope that helps to clear this up.

Source: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/41698.html

Last edited by Maple Flag; 05-09-2004 at 20:56.
Maple Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:50   #35
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Thanks TR your memory far surpasses mine. I must say I was ROTFLMAO during that movie. I believe I saw it in the teamhouse in Thailand and choked on my beer.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:39   #36
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Desert Fox,

I would love to teach you the Knife through the Upper palate technique but its supper hush hush stuff I can't really talk about it in the open. LOL Tooth grinder I can't beleive you don't like my technique.

Fox it sounds like Maple Flag and others have given you good advice. I don't know jack sh*t about bears accept to stay away from them and if you are going to shoot one you HAVE to kill them your break bone in order for them to disengage. You might want to try a flashbang. J/K if Canada is as bad as I hear it is these days you would probably be thrown in prision for a few years if caught carrying a flashbang around.

Stay Safe Bear Bait my only serious advice would be to stay out of the woods until you have sufficient means to protect yourself in the woods.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 16:57   #37
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Flag
Desert Fox,

I think you are handicapping yourself needlessly. I am not a lawyer, but I am involved in law enforcement and what you say about blades >6" and possession of OC spray is only partly correct - the wrong part.

Neither OC spray nor long blades are restricted or prohibited in Canada. The applicable charge used for people who carry these things is known in short for as "Possession - Weapons Dangerous". The relavant section of the Criminal Code of Canada is here:

Possession Offences

Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose
88. (1) Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence.

Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

The key factor for culpability here is whether your possession of the item was dangerous to the public peace. If you're carrying a big knife or OC spray in a populated area where there is no justifiable need ("justifiable" to the courts, not you), you can get dinged on this charge. Arguing they are for self defence (ie: repel attack by human) is NOT justifiable. On the other hand, postal workers in the city carry OC for protection against dogs. This IS justifiable.

If you are in the back country, I don't see that either a big knife or OC spray would be found to be dangerous to the public peace. On the other hand, if you walk into a department store with either on you, you may well by-pass the checkout line and go directly to jail.

The 6" blade rule is a tool used in law enforcement (probably based on old case law) to determine whether the knife by itself is "dangerous to the public peace" in a non-wilderness setting (ie: would the average person be alarmed to see this hanging on someone's belt). In reality, if you have a knife with a 3" blade and are handling it in such a manner as to alarm the local population, you could probably be convicted of this, regardless of the blade length.

In closing, the above is my understanding and experience with Canadian law on these issues, but I an NOT giving legal advice. Check with a real lawyer if you want to be sure.

Sorry for the long winded response. I hope that helps to clear this up.

Source: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/41698.html
Thank you for that experienced insigth.I wasnt told that.And few months ago I wanted to buy some pepper spray from the internet.I was told its illegal in Canada.The can was called bearspray, I think.
About replicas, I sent an email throw the gouv website and they told me even if the replica is pink or red, this is still considered a replica.
Old 05-10-2004, 17:00   #38
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by gk404
Lean bears can exceed 30 mph. Can run uphill, downhill, or on level ground. Fat bears in winter coats overheat and tire quickly.

Edited to add:
Greatest misconception: The greatest misconception about black bears is that they are likely to attack people in defense of cubs. They are highly unlikely to do this. Black bear researchers often capture screaming cubs in the presence of bluff-charging mothers with no attacks. Defense of cubs is a grizzly bear trait. About 70 percent of human deaths from grizzly bears are from mothers defending cubs, but black bear mothers have not been known to kill anyone in defense of cubs.

Source
Those quick releases could be very useful...I can't run 30 mph with an added weight of 70 pounds!
Old 05-10-2004, 17:10   #39
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
Desert Fox,

I would love to teach you the Knife through the Upper palate technique but its supper hush hush stuff I can't really talk about it in the open. LOL Tooth grinder I can't beleive you don't like my technique.

Fox it sounds like Maple Flag and others have given you good advice. I don't know jack sh*t about bears accept to stay away from them and if you are going to shoot one you HAVE to kill them your break bone in order for them to disengage. You might want to try a flashbang. J/K if Canada is as bad as I hear it is these days you would probably be thrown in prision for a few years if caught carrying a flashbang around.

Stay Safe Bear Bait my only serious advice would be to stay out of the woods until you have sufficient means to protect yourself in the woods.
I am just lucky at this point I was never attacked.Always they are escaping.At least I dont meet bears everytime I do some cross-country.And food discipline is very important.I don't sleep where I eat!

I will defenitly equip myself better soon.

By now I'm starting to note the exact grid of every bears encounters, with my Garmin 72 GPS that I use for land nav debriefings and pace counting calculations.

At the end of the movie Legends of the Fall, its toll be killed by a bear is a nice death!humm....