Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-09-2009, 16:33   #1
tst43
Guerrilla

Iwo Jima Veteran killed During Robbery Attempt

I came across a news story from Florence, SC, wherein it relates that an 83 year-old veteran of Iwo Jima was shot to death during an apparent armed robbery attempt. The victim was identified as Clair Chaffin from Florida who received numerous military citations (including the silver star) for his actions during combat. Mr. Chaffin volunteered for military service while he was in the 10th grade after 2 older brothers were killed in WWII. Mr. Chaffin also spent over 50 years supervising various construction projects with the Veteran's Administration, and was on his way to meet up with other WWII veterans for a trip across Canada, when he was killed while packing his car after staying the night in a Florence hotel. The suspects in his shooting are also believed to be responsible for the robbery of a probation agent in Columbia, SC, during which they took her duty weapon and law enforcement credentials. Mr. Chaffin was given an honorary high school diploma by then Florida Governor Jeb Bush, as after a lifetime of service to his country and fellow veterans, Mr. Chaffin never had the opportunity to finish high school.

This is truly one of the most heinous and senseless crimes I have ever come across in over 15 years in the criminal justice system. Can you imagine surviving combat in Iwo Jima, for which he was highly decorated, only to be gunned down by a POS and his POS accomplice because they wanted that which was his? The website of the news agency where you can read more about this senseless crime and the background of a truly remarkable man who became the victim of 2 animals can be found at:

http://www.scnow.com/scp/news/local/...e_hotel/55221/

Last edited by tst43; 06-10-2009 at 07:11.
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 16:52   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

They should take these guys when catch them and hang them upside down by their balls.... What a shame,to go thru WW2 and then to have your life snuffed out like that....... We've got some real sick a*s holes out there....

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 19:19   #3
SF0
Guerrilla

Sickening, and I'm willing to bet they would have done it even if they knew who he was and what he's done for our country, assuming they didn't know at the time. I'm all for bringing back the gallows for scum like this, and dropping them down on the rope slowly.
SF0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 19:20   #4
Gypsy
Area Commander

Disgusting.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Chaffin.
Old 06-09-2009, 20:08   #5
Puertoland
Guerrilla

Rest in peace, Sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 21:54   #6
jasonglh
Guerrilla

Looks like 2 are in custody and 1 is a juvenile.

2 suspects charged in death of FL man at SC hotel

I hope the officers stolen duty weapon doesn't turn out to be the murder weapon.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:05   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP, Vaya con Dios

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:28   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...by then Florida Jeb Bush...
Never knew Florida had once been called Jeb Bush.

These crimes never make much sense - they just are and always have been - senseless.

Fry in Hell you bastards - and RIP, Marine.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55   #9
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Juvenile or not ... lock them up and throw away the key....
Old 06-10-2009, 09:12   #10
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

R.I.P Mr Chaffin

Quote:
Looks like 2 are in custody and 1 is a juvenile
I agree, It doesnt matter. Adult Crime = Adult Time. Or more.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36   #11
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Never knew Florida had once been called Jeb Bush.

Richard's $.02
For a while it was.
And it wasn't pretty!
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 14:27   #12
tst43
Guerrilla

The trigger man in the robbery and murder of Mr. Chaffin was convicted last Friday and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The only reason this POS did not face the death penalty is that he was 17 years old when he committed the crimes. The other two individuals involved in this matter are scheduled to go on trial within the next couple of months.

I was present in court when the Chaffin family spoke to the judge before sentencing. Mr. Chaffin, a silver star recipient, had delivered two babies while serving in Saipan, and was very active within his community. He was still doing one-handed push-ups and helping people roof their houses at age 83.

Mr. Chaffin was on his way to scout locations for a trip involving his 4th Marine Division brethren when he was robbed and murdered. My compliments to the prosecutor in this case, Ed Clements, who refused to offer any sort of plea bargain to any of the three involved in this matter.

Last edited by tst43; 08-18-2010 at 14:33.
tst43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 15:56   #13
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the update.

Thank You Mr. Clements.

Thank You Mr. Chaffin.........Rest Easy

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 17:06   #14
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thank you tst43 for updating us. I'm very happy to read your post, and hope the same or worse befalls the other two POS.