Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 07-10-2007, 11:49   #256
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Bill:

Are you absolutely sure this is for real?

When Mythbusters tried it, it took an enormous number of balloons to lift a grown adult, with no ballast at all.

I know it has been done before, but the number of balloons in the photo looks way too few. Was this guy a jockey or something?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:08   #257
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

TR,
I just got off the phone with Brandon Wilcox, the chase pilot. He says it really happened. They hired a videographer to record the flight and the Bend newspaper was involved.
look for the balloon pilot, Kent Couch, to be on GMA tommorrow morning and then possibly Letterman. Was told he has First Class tickets for NYC.

When Mr. Couch jumped out, the "ship" went airborne again (20 knot ground winds) and he lost his videocamera and the handheld radio Brandon lent him. They are looking for the balloon now but it could have gone a long ways. Razor, keep your eyes open.

I'd bet really good beer in large amounts this really happened. Kent Couch is the owner of the Shell Station we fuel up at for our trip to the Steens Mountains every year.

ps. They did this last year but no one was interested in covering it then.

Edited to add: Here is the link to Brandon Wilcox's business: http://www.proairservices.com/

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 07-10-2007 at 12:24.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:16   #258
RTK
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Bill:

Are you absolutely sure this is for real?

When Mythbusters tried it, it took an enormous number of balloons to lift a grown adult, with no ballast at all.

I know it has been done before, but the number of balloons in the photo looks way too few. Was this guy a jockey or something?

TR

I remember that one, and just looked up the info. It aired in 2003 as the third pilot to the show. They deemed it "Confirmed."
Old 07-10-2007, 14:11   #259
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK
I remember that one, and just looked up the info. It aired in 2003 as the third pilot to the show. They deemed it "Confirmed."
As I stated, I know that it is possible, and has been done before, as my kids have that episode on tape, but the quantity of ballloons seems low for that payload.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-10-2007, 14:45   #260
mdb23
Guerrilla

I have a whopper example of "redneck engineering" involving slow burning CS, an airtight container, some tubing, an air compressor, and a metal spike with a couple of holes drilled in it, but I think it might be wrong for this forum.

Let's just say that I prefer the above "redneck house clearer" to the CS ferret rounds.
mdb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 16:35   #261
7624U
Quiet Professional

If you ever lose a M249 rear take down pin take a ALICE clip off your LCE remove the push pin part and put it in the pin hole and bend it,, works fine just lift up on the handle so you dont get a run away gun while fireing... also works for missing M-4 pins..

Last edited by 7624U; 07-10-2007 at 16:38.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:21   #262
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
If you ever lose a M249 rear take down pin take a ALICE clip off your LCE remove the push pin part and put it in the pin hole and bend it,, works fine just lift up on the handle so you dont get a run away gun while fireing... also works for missing M-4 pins..
This is the kind of stuff that this place is for. Good post.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:25   #263
Bill Harsey

Wrong Tool!

This happened up in the state of Washington, good example of DO NOT TRY THIS ANYWHERE!

Here is the story: http://http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2007/11/12/lug_nut.html?print=yes
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40   #264
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
This happened up in the state of Washington, good example of DO NOT TRY THIS ANYWHERE!

Here is the story: http://http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2007/11/12/lug_nut.html?print=yes
How'd that work out for him?

NOT TOO GOOD!

I guess he did not have access to WD-40, a cheater pipe, or a torch. Probably just as well.

I hope that he did not have any kids.

TR

Old 11-13-2007, 10:56   #265
Bill Harsey

That guy was 10 miles south of Seattle, puts him close to the north edge of Ft. Lewis.

All you mechanics already know this but if your faced with a tough bolt or nut, here is the drill just like The Reaper laid it out, WD-40 at least overnight if needed, longer if you have the luxury of time.
Cheater pipe, long. To go with this, if your breaking sockets, use a 6 point socket instead of "many point". If you break that, get an impact wrench socket of the correct size. If you break that, your in the wrong profession, see your nearest USMC recruiter.
The torch works but you have to be both careful and kind of fast or else you heat up everything inside and get another form of binding. Often after heating and everything has cooled off, the nut or bolt will break free when you try the wrenches again.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:19   #266
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Cheater pipe.

When I read the headline, I thought he was using the shotgun barrel as a Cheater. Still stupid, but it would have been more effective.

Pat
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26   #267
Pete S
Guerrilla

I laughed for a while after reading this in the paper.
The guy was 66 years old. I guess some people never "get it."
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:45   #268
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:

Read the story and first thing I thought of was this thread; wondered if anyone had posted it yet...

LL
Old 11-13-2007, 15:06   #269
clapdoc
Guerrilla

removing a rusted nut

I had to laugh at the story about the guy in Oregon, sounds like it could be from Mississippi.

We encounter rusted nuts all the time on farm equipment, for the big nuts a cheater and pipe wrench usually works. wd40 and a torch helps on some occassions. On nuts under 3/4 inch we use some special sockets that Sears markets, these sockets are driven on and cut into the nut when you start to remove them. This really works good and saves a lot of time.

I never thought of using a shotgun although i have felt like shooting several pieces of equipment on this farm.

clapdoc sends.
clapdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 20:43   #270
probjm
Asset

OTR clutch cable repair

Years ago, 2 hrs into a 6 hr road trip (1973 Volvo, don't ask!), my clutch cable breaks. A devout 'Macguyver' fan, this was not a problem. I reach into my ever-present rock climbing gear bag, withdraw a length of 1" tubular webbing and a steel 'biner. Bolted the 'biner to the forward side of engine block (as a slide point, top-rope belay style), secure loops into 2 broken ends of cable (using field expedient swaged ferrules), connect with webbing using waterknots and routing thru aforementioned 'biner, adjust for no slack, and continued trip with no problem.
probjm is offline   Reply With Quote