Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 07-12-2010, 13:47   #1
Shar
Guerrilla

WP grad killed at Costco in NV because he was carrying CCW

Erik Scott was an acquaintance of mine from years past. He was carrying a weapon, someone freaked out and the police overreacted and killed him. It's a travesty - especially now that the police seem to be lying. If you read in the comments there are plenty of people who were there and saw the entire thing. His girlfriend was with him, he was minding his own business browsing Costco. He was an entirely decent and wonderful man.

I'm just sick over it and I fear for good men and women who carry legally.

3 Officers Involved in Shooting at Summerlin Costco
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 1:32 PM PDT Updated: Jul 12, 2010 10:14 AM PDT
Video Gallery
ON THE SCENE: Man Killed in Officer Involved Shooting
2:23
Erik Scott Erik Scott

LAS VEGAS -- Three Las Vegas police officers were involved in a shooting at a Costco near Charleston and Pavilion Center in northwest Las Vegas.

Police have released few details about the shooting, but say the suspect was shot by three officers while exiting the store, He died from his injuries. Friends and family members say the suspect is Erik Scott, a West Point graduate, and in his 30's. One friend said Scott was at Costco to pick up a prescription.

"The individual was shot -- its out in the open area right near the tire store. He was transported to UMC where he was pronounced dead at that point," said Metro Capt. Patrick Neville. "He had a weapon on him. I know the question is going to come up. The weapon is laying right out in front of the store. We also found another weapon when we transported him to the hospital."

The incident happened just before 1 p.m. Saturday. Police were called when Costco workers saw the suspect destroying merchandise inside the store. Someone noticed the suspect had a gun and store security evacuated customers and employees.

Police say when they approached the suspect, he drew a weapon and pointed it at officers. After refusing to drop the weapon, three officers fired multiple rounds, striking the suspect numerous times.

Costco employee Brenda Franklin says the scene was frightening. "We were told to immediately evacuate the store. No one told us why. They just told us to get out of the store. We immediately dropped what we were doing and exited. As soon as I got to the front door, I heard about five shots," she said.

There were no other reports of injuries. Officers credited the Costco security staff for evacuating everyone out of the store in a timely manner.

The officers are on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. The confirmed identity of the suspect will be released by the Clark County Coroner's Office.

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=12785291
Old 07-12-2010, 14:03   #2
Shar
Guerrilla

Another article saying basically the same thing - no witnesses saw anything to merit a shooting:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/slaying-of-...-98223884.html
Old 07-12-2010, 14:04   #3
nmap
Area Commander

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

I guess this adds emphasis to the need to maintain good concealment.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 14:22   #4
J8127
Auxiliary

I had just been reading this on GlockTalk where the thread is a bit longer, there was a post containing what claimed to be a second hand account from a friend of his girlfriend saying that your friend reached to pull his shirt up or something along those lines and was shot. It is a sad story, hopefully the security tapes are released so we know what happened.
J8127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 14:49   #5
T-Rock
BANNED USER

I’m sorry for your loss Shar

Rest in peace Mr. Scott. Prayers out to family and friends

Quote:
Police say when they approached the suspect, he drew a weapon and pointed it at officers. After refusing to drop the weapon, three officers fired multiple rounds, striking the suspect numerous times…
It appears someone is trying to CYA… Gun shy Po Po these days seem to me a whole lot more dangerous than civilians with CCW permits.

Quote:
I guess this adds emphasis to the need to maintain good concealment.
It pays not to print, SmartCarry®
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 15:05   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP.

Sorry for your loss, Shar.

You can bet there is a video if it happened at the entrance to the store.

I will wait for the investigation.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 15:24   #7
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I'll wait until an investigation is conducted. Not enough confirmed info yet.
Very sorry for the loss of your friend.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 15:25   #8
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

RIP.
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 15:29   #9
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rock View Post
I’m sorry for your loss Shar

Rest in peace Mr. Scott. Prayers out to family and friends

It appears someone is trying to CYA… Gun shy Po Po these days seem to me a whole lot more dangerous than civilians with CCW permits.

It pays not to print, SmartCarry®
A lot of this case will depend on what he was actually doing in the store to warrant the Police showing up. What the Police were told over their Radios when called. What they thought was the suspects intent.......
If he lifted up his shirt so they could see a Gun. Thats pretty much the definition of brandishing a Weapon. Police don't have to wait until a Weapon is pointed at them. Police Academy's teach Police to be much more aggressive then they did in years past.
If police approached you. Never show them a Weapon on your body. I would not even tell them I had a Gun. Simply do what they say. Then when they have control of you. Then tell them your carrying. A lot more to this story thou I'm sure.
Old 07-12-2010, 15:50   #10
Shar
Guerrilla

This has obviously been bothering me a lot - I called and talked to my husband about it and he said the same thing I think a lot of you are thinking -

He should have put his hands up. No questions, no hesitation.

It just bothers me that the entire thing went down the way it did. There has to be video and I'm sure it will be very enlightening. I haven't seen him in about 15 years, but I don't think he's changed that much based on what I've heard from other friends and read. I think he was a good guy who assumed that the cops would immediately understand he was a good guy so he didn't posture himself as he should have in this situation - as a bad guy.

The lesson I bring away from it is that it doesn't matter how "good" you are or how right you are or how otherwise peaceful and normal a suburban situation you are you in - when guns and police are involved you comply - no explanations, no questions. I guess I could totally see myself trying to explain the situation or continue to try and convince someone of my "goodness" as things escalate so wildly out of control. The facts might bear out something else, but I honestly believe one mistake (not complying to the letter) killed him.

It just makes me sad - especially for those who love him that are left behind to deal with the mess.

Also, I hope this case doesn't become some gun banning rally cry. I really like knowing that good, trained people - like those on this board - are out there with weapons in case things go bad.
Old 07-12-2010, 15:58   #11
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

My condolences, Shar, to you and all affected by the loss of this man.

LL

Last edited by LibraryLady; 07-12-2010 at 16:59.
LibraryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 16:08   #12
akv
Area Commander

RIP
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 16:09   #13
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
A lot of this case will depend on what he was actually doing in the store to warrant the Police showing up. What the Police were told over their Radios when called. What they thought was the suspects intent.......
If he lifted up his shirt so they could see a Gun. Thats pretty much the definition of brandishing a Weapon. Police don't have to wait until a Weapon is pointed at them. Police Academy's teach Police to be much more aggressive then they did in years past.
If police approached you. Never show them a Weapon on your body. I would not even tell them I had a Gun. Simply do what they say. Then when they have control of you. Then tell them your carrying. A lot more to this story thou I'm sure.
Sir,

Is that true for all PD's? If so that scares the s*** out of me because I have already gone through 2 dui checkpoints when I was CCW. I informed the officer that I was carrying and it wasn't a problem, but that makes me nervous. What about open carry then because I do that when I'm hunting.

Shar.

I'm sorry for your loss, I just lost one of my best friends 2 weeks ago in a car wreck. I feel your pain of losing your friend in a tragic way.
Old 07-12-2010, 16:29   #14
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Shar,

I feel sorry for the loss of your dear friend............... God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 17:39   #15
Gypsy
Area Commander

Shar please accept my condolences on this loss. It is a horrible situation.