Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 10-23-2017, 12:42   #76
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Rita, quick tip from my own personal journey towards marksmanship excellence is having a solid role model. Someone to show that you don’t need easy, just possible. That impossible is indeed spelled I’m possible. Many members on this board and the old souls at the firing line have been that figure to me.

Google Ashley Rheuark and her dry fire regimen. IMHOO, she embodies a dedicated (humble) professional even at her age

Can confirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Besides if anyone here has ever watched me teach I stand in front of my students...... yes you read that right, in front.
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:43   #77
rsdengler
Area Commander

Cold Weather Shooting

OK, I am going to ask this question on cold weather shooting because I cannot find anything when I searched. And if I totally had a "Duh Moment" when I searched for it, and it was hidden somewhere in a post, then I apologize...LOL

Woo-Hoo, this weekend I will be having a 2nd lesson with my instructor at an outdoor range. This will be the first time I will be shooting my new handgun..Hee, Hee…. But, it is supposed to be pretty chilly this Saturday where I am shooting about 37-39 degrees and I will be out around 3pm, so close to sundown. My question, any suggestions or advice for shooting in colder weather? I know that I will have on extra clothing, and I intend on layering and not wearing anything bulky. And I am assuming that the cooler weather may affect my handling, and shooting abilities especially since I do not intend to wear gloves. So, any tips on clothing, techniques, mindset? Thanks in advance, and as always I appreciate any help, knowledge and experience from you guys…..

Note to self... remember to bring coffee thermos...and hand warmers...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:34   #78
Box
Quiet Professional

Dress the way you would dress to be outside...
...and then practice shooting that way

If you are going to walk around in the winter months without gloves, then by all means, shoot without gloves.
Consider buying yourself a set of thin gloves that will cover your bare skin and still give you enough grip to handle the weapon.

https://www.mackspw.com/Browning-Wom...iABEgI1ufD_BwE

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-c...loves-reviews/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GIRLS...2.uts?slotId=5

good luck - be safe AND warm
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:26   #79
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Dress the way you would dress to be outside...
...and then practice shooting that way

If you are going to walk around in the winter months without gloves, then by all means, shoot without gloves.
Consider buying yourself a set of thin gloves that will cover your bare skin and still give you enough grip to handle the weapon.

https://www.mackspw.com/Browning-Wom...iABEgI1ufD_BwE

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-c...loves-reviews/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GIRLS...2.uts?slotId=5

good luck - be safe AND warm
Thanks Box I will try "winterizing" myself tonight, and do a little shooting practice. I do like the "thin glove" recommendations, I was unsure of my grip w/gloves but the thin ones may be doable. I may have to go out and get a pair before this weekend...thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 12-04-2017, 20:30   #80
Joker
Quiet Professional

Get some flight gloves, the smallest that you can get your hands in.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 21:52   #81
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
That's "Old School" but very good advice.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21   #82
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Concur

Not the warmest but an excellent trade off for dexterity.
For some reason most of my army matches took place with temp from 28 to 36F. After the firearms are exposed to the element for a few hours it's nice not to feel an icy trigger.
The issue flight glove served me well throughout. Still have dexterity for that perfect pull, mag release, mag chNge, sight adjustment, etc.
Won't work with touch screen though. I also don't do the hsld cut off the index section.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 17:10   #83
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Flight gloves make no difference as far as speed and accuracy, I can attest. They enhance the grip much better than bare hands.

That said, I would not advise their use for civilian shooters unless in a competition. Why? Cause you're not going to be wearing them when the bad-man comes.

We wore them to enhance our bad-man hunting style.
Old 12-11-2017, 17:36   #84
rsdengler
Area Commander

Ha, thanks guys for all the suggestions. I did buy a pair of women's shooting gloves (Browning Women's Trapper Creek) and they do fit like a second skin. I did some "dry shooting", and made sure they felt like I had good grip and was able to handle my weapon without any issues. So, just in case I do need a pair of gloves, I have them. But, because of the lousy winter weather, rain, sleet I was unable to shoot over the weekend. So just call me "Reschedule Rita".....because this is the 2nd time in a month and 1/2. Ha...always my luck recently..Really, thanks again for the advice....Still waiting to reschedule...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

That said, I would not advise their use for civilian shooters unless in a competition. Why? Cause you're not going to be wearing them when the bad-man comes.

We wore them to enhance our bad-man hunting style.
LOL....Got Ya...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 12-11-2017, 19:34   #85
jw74
Guerrilla

Camelback cold weather gloves are a good choice as well. good dexterity and much warmer than they should be given their lack of bulk. Theyre around $45 most places.
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:33   #86
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
I have used golf gloves. Pick'm up at your local Fleezs Market, cheap. They are thin and the texture holds a grip when they soak from sweat.

For something more durable, I like the 1/2 finger sailing gloves. Again, the combination of split leather and nylon/rayon materials hold up well in damp conditions.

For warmth: https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand...s=hand+warmers

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:48   #87
7624U
Quiet Professional

Just buy some hunters friends and put one in each pocket and when you have time between warm your hands.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-10-c...s=hand+warmers

Taking your gloves off and on will irritate you for all your shooting tasks because you are not used to loading with cold hands for example and the gloves will get in the way of that.

just my .02

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:49   #88
7624U
Quiet Professional

lol JJ posted the hot hands while I was typing

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 14:03   #89
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
Just buy some hunters friends and put one in each pocket and when you have time between warm your hands.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-10-c...s=hand+warmers

Taking your gloves off and on will irritate you for all your shooting tasks because you are not used to loading with cold hands for example and the gloves will get in the way of that.

just my .02
LOL...I had 2 packs of hot hands I already put in my bag, I am 2 on you guys...HA

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 12-12-2017 at 17:40.
Old 12-12-2017, 18:24   #90
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Rita,
Try the hot hands under your gloves, on top of your wrists. I use them this way waterfowling and on the skeet range. If really cold, one under your wool cap too.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote