Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18B

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Keep him away from the compass man.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36   #17
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Keep him away from the compass man.

TR
The new Army......

What's a compass?
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:58   #18
Joker
Quiet Professional

Isn't that the dohickie you use to draw circles?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30   #19
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Never used but 'know a guy'

One of the Bravo's in my company uses one in place of a shotgun catch (attached with bungee as previously mentioned but to retain it when not in use). I havent see it used in that manner, although we found a good (read: humorous) use for it:

When conducting pistol reload drills, if he brings the pistol in nice and close before dropping the magazine (M9 metal mags) the magazine will drop and be sucked in and stick to the magnet. Voila: dual purpose shotgun catch / dump pouch. We have a promo video of these and are trying to figure out what cool paint scheme to use before selling to the Airsoft crowd...
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 14:16   #20
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Please don't ban me for this ridicules question, there's a reason

Has anyone ever used Magnets to secure a tool like a breaching shotgun, firing device.....etc. to their kit.
So what is the reason for you question? I'm very curious.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 14:48   #21
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

A true magnet story.

Last year I was being shown around a new factory which made wind turbines. The rather comely young lady who was giving me the tour was walking ahead of me when we passed some huge magnets which formed part of the generators in the turbines. I felt a stirring in my pants as I followed her though the narrow passage way between these large parts awaiting assembly. Now, I am not really an ass man, so I was surprised at the movement in my crotch, until I brushed too closely near one of the magnets and I was suddenly yanked by the front of my trousers and stuck firmly to a generator housing. The 38 spl Colt Cobra that I habitually carry in my pants pocket was now firmly stuck to the magnet. My efforts to disengage must have looked obscene as the pretty young thing turned to look at what all the commotion was about. After a few seconds, I managed to slide myself along the casing until the magnetic force lessened enough to enable me to get unstuck. Now, most of the Cobra is in fact un-magnetic alloy and as far as I can tell, just the steel sleeve in the barrel is the only real large bit of magnetic material in it. Imagine if the gun had been pure steel?
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:18   #22
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Rare earth magnets will work but I have a couple of concerns. Long time exposure can and will magnetize what they are holding and why I do not use magnets to hold my tools. This could create problems in functioning later.

Second, while a rare earth magnet the size of a quarter and about .25 inches thick will withstand a mighty pull away, it has almost zero lateral force. thus the item can slide off very easily. Not a good idea in a dynamic situation.

Kieth, I counsel against.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 17:15   #23
TRU
SF Candidate

I remember seeing someone with the AWS Shotgun Retainer with a magnet sewn in. I didn't use it, so I don't know how effective it was, but AWS is in Fayetteville and sell them for ~25 bucks.

http://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50329

Take it to a rigger, sewn in a magnet, and see how it works?
TRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:17   #24
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
I remember seeing someone with the AWS Shotgun Retainer with a magnet sewn in. I didn't use it, so I don't know how effective it was, but AWS is in Fayetteville and sell them for ~25 bucks.

http://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50329

Take it to a rigger, sewn in a magnet, and see how it works?
I think its a great idea to add more metal on your kit to hold something. I can't wait to see all the "light weight" Velcro replaced by heavy metal.

Brilliant if you ask me.
Old 11-22-2013, 14:08   #25
theis223
Guerrilla

Question

Would these magnets have an effect on any of the electronics you guys carry on your person?

In my youth i can remember the hell i got from my folks the first time I put a magnet up to the tv screen (during a Packers v. Vickings football game...) it was kinda funny watching my old man's face [and volume level of his rebuke] change right along with the colors of the screen.

I will admit that I lack the knowledge of the tech that I occationally see service members carrying on their wrists, pouches etc but what are the effects of a powerful magnet, maybe not on the circutry itself, but the digital screens you use to acccess those technologies; are they subject to malfunction when a magnet is in close proximity?
...a leader should strive to be an individual of flawless character, technical competence, and moral courage….You start with a cornerstone—honesty—and from there you build character. If you have character, that means the guy you are dealing with can trust you….Character provides a leader with a moral compass that focuses his efforts on the values we cherish: courage, honesty, selflessness, and respect for our fellow man…

SAMUEL W. FLOCA JR.
Colonel, USA, Retired

Courtesy of QP Snaquebite
theis223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 14:10   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by theis223 View Post
Would these magnets have an effect on any of the electronics you guys carry on your person?

In my youth i can remember the hell i got from my folks the first time I put a magnet up to the tv screen (during a Packers v. Vickings football game...) it was kinda funny watching my old man's face [and volume level of his rebuke] change right along with the colors of the screen.

I will admit that I lack the knowledge of the tech that I occationally see service members carrying on their wrists, pouches etc but what are the effects of a powerful magnet, maybe not on the circutry itself, but the digital screens you use to acccess those technologies; are they subject to malfunction when a magnet is in close proximity?
Hell yes........ not to mention they could affect optics, nav equipment, radios, cameras, computers, flash drives, etc etc etc
Old 11-22-2013, 14:38   #27
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
The rare earth magnets are nice, and very very strong. If they are heated they lose nearly all of their strength...I think it somehow realigns the magnetic field. They have a small area that they pull things, however it is very strong in that small area.

Breaking a finger....I don't think so, it would have to be entirely too large and too powerful for you to pull it off. Worst that happened to me is getting blood blisters as a kid.

The magnets are plated in nickel and the coating can wear off when things are placed against it. It creates sharp slivers of metal, and they are incredibly difficult to remove. They are incredible brittle as well, don't let them slam into each other.

I'm exposing ignorance here, but couldn't some velcro tape be glued around the shotgun and strips of velcro tape be used to hold it in place?
Oh yes, they can DEFINITELY break your finger if they are large enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-UZYyhk_w0
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 16:00   #28
Toaster
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
Oh yes, they can DEFINITELY break your finger if they are large enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-UZYyhk_w0

I stand corrected, that is disturbing.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 17:36   #29
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I have a number of rare earth magnets that I use for a number of tasks in my wood working. Some are only 1/4 inch tall and in diameter. two palced together are a pain to pull apart but will slide apart fairly easily, BUT, will snap right back together as soon as you relax. I DO NOT allow any of my electronics any where near them, and that includes my watch.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 18:26   #30
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I have two of these magnets and when I made the mistake of allowing them to come together it literally took all my strength to separate them. The now sit together on the fridge will about four pieces of cardboard separating them. I've had my finger between them and they will leave a mark......

If you've never played with a rare earth magnet they are absolutely nothing like the magnets you are familiar with.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX08Y0