Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 03-18-2004, 19:00   #31
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Almost a year after Saddam's regime fell, which came after nearly three decades of dictatorship, more than four in five Iraqis say they want to have democracy, yet almost as many say they want to have a single strong leader.

Asked how the U.S.-led invasion of their country left them feeling, 41 percent said they felt liberated -- but the same number said they felt humiliated.
This reminds me of conversations I've had with battered women.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 00:00   #32
Maya

Good observation Ird. My wife counsels young women who are dealing with sexual abuse in their lives, and there is a similar condition when the abuser was a authority figure in their lives. Quite confused emotions, it takes along time for their feelings to line up with the knowledge, and acceptance of abuse. Outside intovention is absolutely required in order to change the situation.

By the way guys, the heads up on Barnett's writings was greatly appreciated, his insight into the global dynamics is quite refreshing. I'm looking forward to getting his book when it is released.

Thanks,

Maya
Old 03-22-2004, 00:09   #33
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Maya:

I must ask:

Did you get the Roosevelt quote from Nixon or elsewhere?

I like it.

RL
Roguish Lawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:30   #34
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

NDD- Front page is dominated by economic and educational reforms. Occasionally an article about the war, but normally it's indirect: for instance about the lack of body armour for Brit squaddies in the war, but more focused on the domestic reasons why than the effects, or how the war is going right now. I haven't seen a casualty report since the insurgents bombed the outside of the police station.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:22   #35
Maya

Teddy's the Man

I am a fan of TR and Winston as men whose influence continues to reach beyond their time. I got this from a speech TR gave in France, it is just one small portion of an amazing speeh that we should hear today. Here is a site where the speeh in total can be found.

Enjoy!

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

Maya
Old 04-28-2004, 17:40   #36
Maya

Follow up on Barnett's book.

NDD gave me the lead on Thomas Barnett's new book "The Pentagon's New Maps", and I just picked it up yesterday. From the first 20+ pages it seems to me to be very insightful and a timely subject matter.

I'll keep you updated with my progress with the book, and give a synopsis of my humble overall impression when I complete it. It may be awhile as the book is about 385+ pages, whose concepts and positions are quite deep and thought provoking requiring many hours on the porch sipping a fine spirit while enjoying a fine cigar as one ponders our world's future.

Thanks,

Maya