Old 02-11-2004, 18:57   #1
Valhal
Auxiliary

Che

I do not know anything about Che, but I have seen his face on t-shirts, usually worn by movie stars and rappers, why is a part of our society enamored by him?
Robert Redford I believe just finished a movie about his motorcycle diaries, met with Castro about it.

Yeah I'm asking for a free ride.
I'll gladly pay in pushups
Old 02-11-2004, 20:13   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Book answer - Che is a cult figure, the "Easy Rider", the Jack Kerouac of insurgents. He was young when the 8th SFG and Bolivian Rangers put him down, only 39. He was Castro's Ambassador at large, appearing here then there. He LOOKED like a freedom fighter. He was the rock and roll guerrilla defending the poor, the tired, the mining masses.

NDD's answer - They made a strategic mistake when they took the proof of death photos. They were worried that people would deny it was him, so they cleaned him up to take the photos. When they did it, he kind of looked (or at least a lot of people claimed) like Christ or some kind of angel. They didn't show the pics of his raggedy asthma-racked ass the way he was when the dragged him out of the jungle. Those pics only came out years later.

So that's the way people remembered him, like a saint martyred by the US imperialist oppresser and its Bolivian puppets.

The Cubans and other leftist have done everything they can to perpetuate the myth. Every cause needs its heroes.

A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

Lesson Learned

My .02 pesos
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 20:15   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Who can tell me what Che means and who named him that?

Who can tell me when and where he met Castro and who introduced them?

Who can tell me what one of the jobs he had when he met Castro was?

Who can name the Bolivian Ranger that, according to the story, put him down and why he was the one?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 22:31   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

No answers for me goat?

Go ahead Jimbo.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 22:34   #5
CRad
Guerrilla

Not yet. Give the guys a chance to look some of it up. And yes i do know most of the answers.
Old 02-11-2004, 22:38   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ok, but they should know those by heart
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 23:10   #7
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Who can name the Bolivian Ranger that, according to the story, put him down and why he was the one?
EG was nicknamed "fuser" (El Furibundo Serna) by his best friend, fellow leprosy doctor, and travelling companion, Alberto Granado. Che means "hey you" in Argentina, and Guevara used to say that alot. He was first called 'Che' in Guatemala, I believe, by a Cuban exile named Antonio Nico Lopez (who knew Castro).

Guevara did not meet Castro until later when he was working as a doctor in Mexico The meeting took place around July 1956. They were introduced by Raul Castro, Fidels brother.

SGT Mario Teran, M-2 carbine. Rodriguez wrote about it.
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 23:21   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Not bad pulque, I'm impressed! But he wasn't working as a Doctor, he couldn't work as a doctor because of the laws and his immigration status.

Do you know how Nico knew Fidel?

Why did Teran do the honors (according to the story)?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 23:26   #9
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Not bad pulque, I'm impressed! But he wasn't working as a Doctor, he couldn't work as a doctor because of the laws and his immigration status.

Do you know how Nico knew Fidel?

Why did Teran do the honors (according to the story)?
Sorry, I thought he worked in a hospital in mexico because there is a story in Anderson about a woman patient of his who died of asthma.

According to the story, Teran did the deed for revenge from a gunfight he had been in with the rebels.

Nico was in Guatemala after fleeing Cuba following the Mocanda barracks attacks which were organized by Fidel.
Old 02-11-2004, 23:35   #10
avispón rojo
Asset

Che Guevara Quiz...

Quote:
'Che' means "buddy" and I think it was given to him by CPT Alberto Bayo when learning about Guerilla Warfare under him. Not real sure about this one.

Quote:
Che met Castro in Mexico in September 1954 through Hilda Gadea and LT. Nico Lopez

Quote:
He was Catro's Minister of Industry and also held the position of President of the National Bank of Cuba.

Quote:
SGT Mario Terran executed Che when a LT. Perez was unable to carry out the order himself.
avispón rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 23:38   #11
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Great thread:

Terry
Old 02-11-2004, 23:42   #12
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Very good!

Ernestito was taking pics of American tourists in the streets in Mexico for change. He did work a while as a lab rat.

The story goes that they drew straws, all a little afraid of the myth. The guy that won (lost) was shaking so bad he couldn't do it and SGTO Teran stepped up and said "I'll do it."

Nico was indeed a vet of the Moncado uprising. I'm not real sure Fidel actually planned that, it may be revisionist history. Do you know what the first uprising they planned to participate in was? (It never got off the ground).

Interesting fact - Che's paternal great grandfather was Irish. His paternal grandfather was born in the US (California gold rush).

His mother's family went back to General Jose de la Serna, the last Spanish Viceroy of Peru (Marx and Engels mentioned him).

Oh, and red wasp is right, Che is kind of like buddy. They say it after words like gringos say "Uh" and Canucks say "eh". But pulque is right, is was Nico and two other Cubans, not Bayo, that gave him the name.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-12-2004, 00:02   #13
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Nico was indeed a vet of the Moncado uprising. I'm not real sure Fidel actually planned that, it may be revisionist history. Do you know what the first uprising they planned to participate in was? (It never got off the ground).
Had to look it up. He had wanted to invade the Dominican Republic to overthrow General Trujillo.

While I was looking it up I came across this story, which made me LOl again about a 12-yr old Castro writing to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, asking him for a dollar.

Quote:
Oh, and red wasp is right, Che is kind of like buddy. They say it after words like gringos say "Uh" and Canucks say "eh".
cool. thanks NDD!

-another lab rat
Old 02-12-2004, 03:57   #14
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

My question- who betrayed Che?

Solid

Last edited by Solid; 02-12-2004 at 04:02.
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:18   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
My question- who betrayed Che?

Solid
What do you mean betrayed?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?