Old 11-30-2016, 01:50   #1
EricV
Guerrilla

This what COIN looks like

Since my knowledge is stricly academic, I won't comment.

http://dianawest.net/Home/tabid/36/E...ooks-Like.aspx
Old 11-30-2016, 06:41   #2
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

I'm saving all those Gen. Petraeus pics from DVIDS
CAARNG 68W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 18:00   #3
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

COIN.?

Does anyone really believe that the CounterInsurgency Doctrine put forth in the 21st century can OVERCOME, DEFEAT, and change the hearts and minds of the 7th century teachings of the general muslim population let alone the RADICAL Jihadists ? The same people who blow themselves up for a basket of fruit and 40 virgins; and have no reservations or thought of murdering innocent men, women, and children who have no dog in their fight. WHY ARE WE TREATING THE MUSLIM CULT with deference? This insanity must stop and solve the problem of Radical Jihad by any means necessary.
Tom Kelly
Old 02-11-2017, 18:59   #4
scooter
Quiet Professional

Two thoughts here. COIN, as practiced by the US in modern times, can work. When we left Iraq in 2011 the insurgency had been pacified and the country was largely safe and "normal". That got fucked up because the Shia backed government started opressing the Sunnis once we left, and they revolted anew.

Second, there is another method of COIN. You always hear people say "you can't kill your way out of this." That's not really true, killing an insurgency to death is the time honored method of ending revolts. Syria and Russia are in the midst of doing so right now, and its working. We did it with the indians in the US. The Romans did it. The British Empire did it. If you're willing to kill, well, everyone until their will to resist is gone, it does work.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 19:38   #5
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
...killing an insurgency to death is the time honored method of ending revolts. Syria and Russia are in the midst of doing so right now, and its working. We did it with the indians in the US. The Romans did it. The British Empire did it. If you're willing to kill, well, everyone until their will to resist is gone, it does work.
I know the Warrior would be on board with this whole-heartedly...its just too bad our Nation's Leadership has lost the will to actually crush an enemy.
Old 02-11-2017, 23:13   #6
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
I know the Warrior would be on board with this whole-heartedly...its just too bad our Nation's Leadership has lost the will to actually crush an enemy.
Well, to be fair I'm not sure I'm up for that kind of war. You have to be willing to go into a village you took fire from and kill every living thing in that village.

From an effectiveness standpoint, it works, as long as you do it widely enough, often enough, with enough people to make a difference. The people that do it half ass just piss the peasants off more and end up making things worse. But I'm not sure I want to be in an Army that just slaughters the locals in reprisal operations to make the bad men give up.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote